Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
ANGRY GRILLS. And not, I am not talking about that horrendous aftermarket thing people buy for Jeeps. I am talking about every single car manufactured nowadays. And it keeps getting worst, have you seen the new defender? it is as bad as a jeep with an angry grill. I don't understand the "aggression".

Luckily the Jeep Wrangler still has that "cute" look to it. Although some people ruin it, obsesses with achieving a "mean and aggressive" look. Girls like that. But they also look "rugged". Perfect vehicle for a guy imo. My wife says she finds me very attractive when I am in the jeep. cute yet rugged. Perfect combo. Rugged and aggressive and you'll scare girls.
Sponsored

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

IMO, by definition, there are only a handful of true SUVs on the market today (Sport Utility Vehicle). That includes the Wrangler, Bronco, 4runner, and a few luxury options.

All the rest are basically either sporty minivans or sporty sedans.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
So much of what I don't like about modern design and equipment trends in passenger cars and trucks can be walked back to government regulation. There's little sense in venting because that war is lost.

Gear select shifters being replaced with buttons. I don't know anybody that likes that.
The ZF 850RE is functionally guilty here. There's no physical connection to the transmission. The 8-speed's gear selector performs a shift-by-wire function, identical to the dash buttons and knobs seen in other vehicles.

This tech gives us the ability to have a feature like AutoStick.

I know you were speaking about the physical interface (hand shifter vs. buttons). Just though I'd add another .02.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Try matching white. You realize how many "white's" there are? Color isn't just a crayon in a box when it comes to auto's. I'll give you Fords Magnetic Grey, which was a remix of Sterling Grey, there are a plethora of greys now and to the untrained eye look the same, but aren't, just like white. The real problem with auto's now is simply this: I work at a third tier supplier, who paints parts, that have to match parts that are painted by another manufacture, and then match the paint the auto maker put on the rest of the vehicle. It is not like in Henry Fords day where the car was all built and painted at his factory.
You're right. But they have formulas for each specific white, each specific grey. You plug them into the robots and boom, off they go. I think the problem comes in when you try buy used parts or paint a used car...the weathering affects the paint color and cars live very different lives.

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
You're right. But they have formulas for each specific white, each specific grey. You plug them into the robots and boom, off they go. I think the problem comes in when you try buy used parts or paint a used car...the weathering affects the paint color and cars live very different lives.
Try matching the orange peel in the paint, yea it's a thing.

Sponsored

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Try matching the orange peel in the paint, yea it's a thing.
Matching is an art, absolutely. The original point I was making is they don't need to 'invent' new colors, or limit us to half a dozen. We arguably had more options 30 years ago.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
All of the start-stop technology and super thin water based paint that chips as soon as you look at it. I am also adding to the list...the trend that eliminates spare tires.

Last edited:

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
Emergency brakes that are either a button or a foot pedal. There is no way to use these for fun. They are basically binary.

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
White SUVs.

A few times a week I drive the tram (basically a three-row golf cart) around the Mayo campus transporting patients/visitors to various locations. [It's a big place] Because people are sometimes preoccupied when going to a hospital, we get a LOT of people who have lost track of where they have parked their cars. Single most common vehicle: white Lexus RX-350.

BTW, there is a market out their for longer range key fobs, to help find your car. $50 option, and they'd sell like hotcakes.

Last edited:

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
White SUVs.

A few times a week I drive the tram around the Mayo campus transporting patients/visitors to various places. [It's a big place] Because people are sometimes preoccupied when going to a hospital, we get a LOT of people who have lost track of where they have parked their cars. Single most common vehicle: white Lexus RX-350.

BTW, there is a market out their for long(er) range key fobs. $50 option, and they'd sell like hotcakes.
Probably demographics. Can't blame anyone in blistering AZ for buying a white vehicle. Black and silver SUVs are probably the most common in the Chicago area.

A solution for the key fob range..Guardian. Scratch that because Uconnect does not work half the time. :LOL:

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
If there was a robot that wrapped cars on the assembly line, they wouldn’t paint them anymore. Paint is a messy business. I’s one of the biggest complain drivers on new cars and one of their bigger environmental headaches.
Sponsored