Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
Ford just killed the Diesel Powerstroke option on the F-150, a mere 3 years after introduction. Why?
Sales didn't live up to expectations.

Sure, a lot of that is because the ecoboost tows more. But it's really because there isn't a good reason to put a car diesel in a pickup truck. People don't buy pickups for fuel efficiency. So putting in a car diesel doesn't make much sense.

People buy pickup trucks to haul and tow stuff (or to compensate for something). And those people don't want to brag about fuel mileage. They want to haul and tow stuff (or look make a lot of noise). The people who care about fuel mileage don't buy pickup trucks.

This is the same reason the 6.2/6.5 diesels in the GM trucks never sold well. Those were fuel economy engines, not towing power engines like the other brands had. And it's why GM dumped the platform entirely and had Isuzu design their Duramax while Dodge stayed with the Cummins and Ford stayed with the PowerStroke.

The manufacturers needed diesel engines that could haul and tow as good as or better than the top gas engines. That's what would make diesels sell in 1/2 ton trucks. They needed to come up with engines in the 4-5 liter range with a good 500+ ft-lbs of torque that could max out the capacity of the chassis.

It is interesting that GM has put the 3.0 Duramax in the Tahoe. And I'm really glad I could finally get a 3.0 in the Wrangler. The 3.0 diesels belong in full size SUVs and maybe compact trucks. But full size trucks just need a full size truck engine.

GM is already making changes to their 1/2 ton diesel to increase the towing capacity. I wonder what VM Motori is up to with the Ecodiesel for the US market.
Sponsored

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
5K in and my Jeep is a beast on and offroad. My steering is another matter, but the engine is awesome. zero regrets.
That is another thing often overlooked. Putting an additional 400 lbs on the nose of a vehicle who had marginal steering to begin with, introduces another set of challenges.

Don't get me wrong. I love that Jeep made the diesel option available. I think it is the right move to capture the diehard diesel fans and the long haulers. But the reality is that the second Jeep releases a proper turbo 6-cyl (hopefully in-line on the Wrangler) with 400+ ftlbs of torque the demand for the diesel will likely evaporate. Sadly, Jeep does not have any 300+ HP 4 or 6 cyl engines available at the moment. It's a hole in the engine line up. Ford for example has 1/2 dozen such engines. GM ditto.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
i hear you on support; right now, J**p can't even get a fuel pump/gauge module and fuel lines to replace the set that were contaminated with metal shavings when my Injection Pump shut everything down at 4,100 miles.

on one hand, it is admittedly unusually soon to be needing such things, and everyone has heard the whining about how difficult it is to get things through the normal Supply Chains (allegedly) due to COVID.

on the other hand, while i understand that Caca Pasa, and Infant Mortality is why we joke about making sure to have another J**p when buying a new one, when @JeepCares can't even give us an ETA on when they'll be able to give us an ETA on parts that are listed as back-ordered until December, it does cause one cause for concern.
(to be fair, JeepCares has agreed to make my payment while my EcoDiesel sits waiting for parts, but considering i paid for most of it up front, that barely takes the sting out of not having it available for a trip i started planning back last Fall.)

i really enjoyed driving my EcoDiesel before it committed Hari Kari, but i've had my confidence shaken a good bit. i'd already been in snow and in triple-digit temps with this thing before it failed, and considering the places i bought/built this thing to take me (and my family!), it's sheer dumb luck i wasn't in a more precarious spot when this thing shut down.

I don’t mind fixing it if it’s out of warranty, I plan to keep it for a while, but I’m starting to get paranoid wondering if FCA will keep parts like injectors, crate engines, etc in stock in case a repair is needed

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Diesel is done. The emissions regs starting in 2007 ended everything. The emissions equipment has become too complicated, expensive and fragile. All the major oems have been busted for cheating regs out of desperation beyond the uber complexity. Everyone who has owned a 2007+ from any maker has learned the hard way. Might take another decade for everyone to figure that out. They still sell them because there are still clueless chumps - who, despite about 14 yrs now of internet chatter - are willing to pay an extra 6k up front and at least as much for repairs later - to live out some childhood fantasy
of being a trucker.
A lot of what you say is true. But, many of my friends who have bought the 2007+ Diesels have altered the emissions, and have had wonderful reliability and a substantial increase in mpg. Some have over 250,000-350,000 miles, so far, without issues. Those that left them stock, have seen many many costly repairs, before and after 75-100k miles. All emissions related.

NBB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
But, many of my friends who have bought the 2007+ Diesels have altered the emissions
Lol - so they got that done before the EPA raided and shut down all the major diesel tuners a few years back.

What I see here are mostly naive diesel noobs - Jeep is their first one, 2007+. Post back at 100k. 6k - 30k - who cares.

Sponsored

AZ-Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
Lol - so they got that done before the EPA raided and shut down all the major diesel tuners a few years back.

What I see here are mostly naive diesel noobs - Jeep is their first one, 2007+. Post back at 100k. 6k - 30k - who cares.
Just wait until the EPA gets raided and they all get fired and their dumb ass rules get flushed.

Diesel technology is every bit as good and clean (if not more so) than electric or gas. The war against diesel is no different than the war against coal or other fossil fuels. Simply ridiculous.

Snowscraper

First Name
Stacy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Ecodiesel
i hear you on support; right now, J**p can't even get a fuel pump/gauge module and fuel lines to replace the set that were contaminated with metal shavings when my Injection Pump shut everything down at 4,100 miles.

on one hand, it is admittedly unusually soon to be needing such things, and everyone has heard the whining about how difficult it is to get things through the normal Supply Chains (allegedly) due to COVID.

on the other hand, while i understand that Caca Pasa, and Infant Mortality is why we joke about making sure to have another J**p when buying a new one, when @JeepCares can't even give us an ETA on when they'll be able to give us an ETA on parts that are listed as back-ordered until December, it does cause one cause for concern.
(to be fair, JeepCares has agreed to make my payment while my EcoDiesel sits waiting for parts, but considering i paid for most of it up front, that barely takes the sting out of not having it available for a trip i started planning back last Fall.)

i really enjoyed driving my EcoDiesel before it committed Hari Kari, but i've had my confidence shaken a good bit. i'd already been in snow and in triple-digit temps with this thing before it failed, and considering the places i bought/built this thing to take me (and my family!), it's sheer dumb luck i wasn't in a more precarious spot when this thing shut down.
That's what concerns me...I bought this to be a overlanding rig, to take me out and back. Getting stranded somewhere miles from civilization defeats the the whole purpose of owning a "Jeep".

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
I'd love to have the torque of the diesel, but I'm really wary of dealing with all the pollution nonsense. I've been dealing with that on big trucks for years now, and it's a huge headache. There have been problems with the diesel particulate filter, problems with the quality of the DEF, problems with the DEF heater, problems with the extra injector that burns fuel to get the system hot for the regen, problems with all the sensors involved. Just problems, problems, and more problems. If they can't get this stuff right on a vehicle costing over $100k, what can you possibly expect from a Chrysler product?

PillowFightr

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Data Center Engineer
This is the most retarded thread by a land slide...

At 70K i will forget i ever had warranty and i will swap the CP4 fuel pump with a CP3 fuel pump
Then i will semi-tune the DEF, end of story

I will then get 32 MPG (currently getting 28 MPG stock @62MPH) with a rooftop tent, full size front runner roof rack and heavy sliders and camp kitchen, water and food and equipment for 5 days

I will explore the US national parks 5K miles at a time from Arizona to X! While the rest of you is whining, scared and shivering here on these pathetic scare threads..

Real jeep people are never scared. buy it, learn it, tune it and if it fails, fix it and keep on going.. Getting scared is not the American thing to do.

Rant over. OP, delete the thread because its pointless and annoying.

Sponsored

OP
OP
abecker

abecker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
This is the most retarded thread by a land slide...

At 70K i will forget i ever had warranty and i will swap the CP4 fuel pump with a CP3 fuel pump
Then i will semi-tune the DEF, end of story

I will then get 32 MPG (currently getting 28 MPG stock @62MPH) with a rooftop tent, full size front runner roof rack and heavy sliders and camp kitchen, water and food and equipment for 5 days

I will explore the US national parks 5K miles at a time from Arizona to X! While the rest of you is whining, scared and shivering here on these pathetic scare threads..

Real jeep people are never scared. buy it, learn it, tune it and if it fails, fix it and keep on going.. Getting scared is not the American thing to do.

Rant over. OP, delete the thread because its pointless and annoying.
Not going to delete it. Also, not meant to be a scare thread. I think my question was valid and you answered it. You wouldn’t keep the diesel in its stock form past the warranty. You would change the fuel pump and modify the exhaust system.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
One thing is certain. Rightly or wrongly, Diesel engines will be receiving the highest level of attention from regulators going forward. I would not bank on being able to operate a 2020+ diesel with defeated emissions systems.

Just as they are doing in Europe, you will soon see emissions detectors at toll booths, requirements for anual emissions inspections, and ever increasing fines for defeating diesel emissions systems.

Five years from now, we will be looking back at the over-regulated 2020/2021 as "the good old days".

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red

Most were done Pre -Epa Nazi raids, some after. There are still some mechanics that will do the work.
Me, I bought my 2006 Dodge 2500 Diesel new, and still have it. I dont ever.plan on selling it, anytime soon.

AZ-Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
One thing is certain. Rightly or wrongly, Diesel engines will be receiving the highest level of attention from regulators going forward. I would not bank on being able to operate a 2020+ diesel with defeated emissions systems.

Just as they are doing in Europe, you will soon see emissions detectors at toll booths, requirements for anual emissions inspections, and ever increasing fines for defeating diesel emissions systems.

Five years from now, we will be looking back at the over-regulated 2020/2021 as "the good old days".
This is a close 2nd to the most idiotic statement ever made on this forum.
Sponsored