Baja Designs Awesome LP Series Support Thread

LA Kimball

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
In relaying this to our Tech and Engineering teams, they quickly identified that this is the result of running the high and low beam circuits simultaneously. As referenced in the instructions and earlier in the thread, this will blow out some of the board components.

If the standard BD harnesses are not being used, or a programable controller (sPOD or Switch Pros) you must ensure that your custom wiring does not power both circuits at the same time.

Unfortunately, if this is the case, your lights are now damaged and you will need to get in touch with me via PM so I can forward you over to the tech team to discuss repair options.
Stravafred said he is using the upfitter harness which I thought was to prevent both high and low beam from being on at the same time. I only ask as I am using the exact same setup but I do not have the loud humming noise and need to understand if I need to change my setup.
Sponsored

BajaDesigns

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Applicable
Stravafred said he is using the upfitter harness which I thought was to prevent both high and low beam from being on at the same time. I only ask as I am using the exact same setup but I do not have the loud humming noise and need to understand if I need to change my setup.
Great point. We must have missed that in the first look and appreciate you catching it.

Now that I'm reviewing, it does not seem like the light is failing, other than the noise, correct? Can you confirm part number for the harness that you are using?

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
In relaying this to our Tech and Engineering teams, they quickly identified that this is the result of running the high and low beam circuits simultaneously. As referenced in the instructions and earlier in the thread, this will blow out some of the board components.

If the standard BD harnesses are not being used, or a programable controller (sPOD or Switch Pros) you must ensure that your custom wiring does not power both circuits at the same time.

Unfortunately, if this is the case, your lights are now damaged and you will need to get in touch with me via PM so I can forward you over to the tech team to discuss repair options.
How long would you have to run both high/low to cause the damage? I'm running the old harness (I have the new one but haven't had time to install yet) and have once or twice accidentally had both on for about 1/2 second or so. They appear to function normally, so I'm doubtful there has been any harm. But I'm just curious what it would take.

stravafred

First Name
StravaFred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
Great point. We must have missed that in the first look and appreciate you catching it.

Now that I'm reviewing, it does not seem like the light is failing, other than the noise, correct? Can you confirm part number for the harness that you are using?
Right, as mentioned, I’m using the upfitter wiring harness to prevent simultaneous hi/low activation. Here is the harness part information copied from my purchase invoice:
Baja Designs LP6/LP9 Upfitter Lock-Out Harness Model #: BAJ640167

Aside from the sound, everything works great and looks great. I have not yet wired the backlight to the DRL.

BajaDesigns

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Applicable
How long would you have to run both high/low to cause the damage? I'm running the old harness (I have the new one but haven't had time to install yet) and have once or twice accidentally had both on for about 1/2 second or so. They appear to function normally, so I'm doubtful there has been any harm. But I'm just curious what it would take.
Honestly, it seems to vary. Just try your very best not to. I'd be willing to set you up with a great deal on a new harness if you are open to switching to the current harness. PM me if you're interested.

Right, as mentioned, I’m using the upfitter wiring harness to prevent simultaneous hi/low activation. Here is the harness part information copied from my purchase invoice:

Aside from the sound, everything works great and looks great. I have not yet wired the backlight to the DRL.
Ok, tough situation. They shouldn't be buzzing at all. That in of itself makes me want to suggest you send them back this way for eval. But I know that is a pain in the butt for you to do. You are welcome to send them back, but I don't think there is any harm in them buzzing other than the fact they shouldn't and it sounds terrible. You can always PM and we can discuss options.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly, it seems to vary. Just try your very best not to. I'd be willing to set you up with a great deal on a new harness if you are open to switching to the current harness. PM me if you're interested.
I've got the new harness. I just haven't had time to put it on. I'll get to it. I've only accidentally done it once, possibly twice, but I knew it when I did it so it was probably for less than a second. They're functioning just fine. No noise that I've detected.

Any harm in having the backlights on while the low or high beams are on?

Kenbike

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
Order a pair of the 4" comb ambers, planning on just running them on high. If They look good will order a pair of 6" spots in amber also. Hopefully they ship quick, summer is burning by!

stravafred

First Name
StravaFred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD

After further review, it seems the buzzing noise goes away after I start the engine. It's hard to tell due to the diesel engine noise, but that's what's up. I guess it's not getting full juice without the engine running.

BajaDesigns

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Applicable
I've got the new harness. I just haven't had time to put it on. I'll get to it. I've only accidentally done it once, possibly twice, but I knew it when I did it so it was probably for less than a second. They're functioning just fine. No noise that I've detected.

Any harm in having the backlights on while the low or high beams are on?
''

No harm in running the backlights with other circuits engaged.

After further review, it seems the buzzing noise goes away after I start the engine. It's hard to tell due to the diesel engine noise, but that's what's up. I guess it's not getting full juice without the engine running.
Ah, well that explains it. Without the alternator running, the voltage will quickly drop and can often cause buzzing. Usually my first comment is that the lights will often buzz when not getting enough power - which is usually caused by not having the engine running. Could have sworn I heard an idle in the video.

Rule of thumb, don't ever run accessories with a high power draw if the engine is not running. Voltage and amps are inversely related. If battery voltage drops, amperage spikes. If you have any flaws in your wiring, you might experience a range off issues from popping fuses, to frying sections of wiring, or worse... Not to mention straining your battery.

DayJ

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL392XR
Hey @Baja Designs any chance of having options for the back lighting at all? I freking LOVE my LP9's!

Sponsored

DARAMOS

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Unlimted Sport
Can the LP4's be directly wired to stock Fog Light harness?

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Can the LP4's be directly wired to stock Fog Light harness?
To power up instead of, or with the factory fogs? Even without the factory fogs, the LP4's may be bordering on the maximum amperage of the fog circuit.

DARAMOS

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Unlimted Sport
these would be in place of the factory fogs. So they would be running solo on that circuit.
Sponsored