Teraflex HD Alpha tire carrier with reinforcement

KarnaughMI

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
FWIW ... I emailed Teraflex again today asking whether they had a solution for the sagging (shims) and if they had a solution they would provide similar to Evo and Motobilt. They quickly responded and are sending me out some shims. Not sure how many or how thick they'll be ... but for those who are in the same dilemma as a handful of us on this thread and don't want to drop $22 with Motobilt. Email them or call.

-Tom
Sponsored

cball508

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392
FWIW ... I emailed Teraflex again today asking whether they had a solution for the sagging (shims) and if they had a solution they would provide similar to Evo and Motobilt. They quickly responded and are sending me out some shims. Not sure how many or how thick they'll be ... but for those who are in the same dilemma as a handful of us on this thread and don't want to drop $22 with Motobilt. Email them or call.

-Tom
Well that's a bummer. Just got mine last week. $30 with shipping. Let us know how you make out

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
UPDATE: shims arrived and went in immediately. Night and day! I used 3 shims in the bottom and my tailgate now closes as if there were no spare mounted at all! It did take some work. I had to loosen everything up and adjust the tailgate on the bracket to get it to close properly at first but it was well worth it.

If anyone else has the issue of not being able to get the tailgate adjusted high enough to compensate for the weight of the spare I highly recommend you get some shims.

If you purchase this bracket I recommend getting these shims ahead of time. Save yourself the hassle of basically doing the install all over again.

You can reach out to Motobilt and they will gladly sell you a set and get them to you pretty quickly (or wait until Teraflex decides to include them). SJ was nice enough to offer to take care of anyone else that needs these. [email protected].

Cost was about $22 with shipping for 4. I only used 3 and I have a 39” KM3 on Method beadlocks.

D161F96A-3A1E-4322-AECC-C9A5749A5BAA.jpeg
Customer service like this is exactly why I recommend Motobilt so much. I have never had a company go out of their way so much to help out when I had questions or concerns. here they are selling their solution to a common issue when they know it is for a another brands product. some would ask you to buy their mount first before they sold the spare parts like this.

Kyle

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'91 Ram W250
Customer service like this is exactly why I recommend Motobilt so much. I have never had a company go out of their way so much to help out when I had questions or concerns. here they are selling their solution to a common issue when they know it is for a another brands product. some would ask you to buy their mount first before they sold the spare parts like this.
I haven't got my Jeep yet (this fall if all goes right) but threads like this are really good. I like the look of the teraflex better than the motobilt but the fact that motobilt includes everything needed (shims) and their support seems to be great makes me lean towards their kit.

Chrisdupe

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Motobilt definitely went above and beyond for me. I agree that most companies might not be so eager to help fix a problem with another brand. That's why i wanted to promote their product as a solution if you run into the same issues that i did (with their blessing of course). I would not hesitate to use their products based on the customer service experience as well as the reputation of their products.

That said, i am truly pleased with the Teraflex hinge reinforcement. I went with their kit mostly due to the fact that i already had the tire carrier and had been pleased with the performance as well as the fit and finish. Once i got the shims in there i have 0 complaints. It looks and functions just as i would expect.

It also sounds like Teraflex has come up with a solution and produced their own shims. I don't really have any complaints with the customer service i received either. Sure it took them a little while to come up with a solution but it really wasn't a terrible wait. If i had been patient enough i'm sure they would have sent me a set of their shims.

In the end i came away a happy Motobilt and Teraflex customer.

Sponsored

Chrisdupe

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't got my Jeep yet (this fall if all goes right) but threads like this are really good. I like the look of the teraflex better than the motobilt but the fact that motobilt includes everything needed (shims) and their support seems to be great makes me lean towards their kit.

Don't let this thread steer you away from the one that you want. It sounds like they have started including shims with the kit based on the findings of myself and other customers. The intent of my post(s) was not to deter people from the Teraflex kit but rather to help others that like myself have been waiting a long time for it and might have alignment issues while installing it. Others have posted solutions to problems they've encountered while building their jeeps and they've helped me so i just wanted to do the same.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Motobilt definitely went above and beyond for me. I agree that most companies might not be so eager to help fix a problem with another brand. That's why i wanted to promote their product as a solution if you run into the same issues that i did (with their blessing of course). I would not hesitate to use their products based on the customer service experience as well as the reputation of their products.

That said, i am truly pleased with the Teraflex hinge reinforcement. I went with their kit mostly due to the fact that i already had the tire carrier and had been pleased with the performance as well as the fit and finish. Once i got the shims in there i have 0 complaints. It looks and functions just as i would expect.

It also sounds like Teraflex has come up with a solution and produced their own shims. I don't really have any complaints with the customer service i received either. Sure it took them a little while to come up with a solution but it really wasn't a terrible wait. If i had been patient enough i'm sure they would have sent me a set of their shims.

In the end i came away a happy Motobilt and Teraflex customer.
I also support Teraflex. I have run their Alpha carrier on my last 2 JLURs and will run it agin on my 2021. I wont use the hinge reinforcement since I ordered the Mopar one from the factory, but if I did not I would use it. I really like the Alpha carrier as it is so adjustable. I can get the tire tucked way closer to the tailgate than with any other. it makes a big difference with departure angle on really steep climbs.

There are a few different companies I have had great luck with on my various JLs and will use again, and there are a few I ak less than impressed with and will avoid. This form is a great place to see what others think as well and has made the trial and error much easier for sure.

GoingInJeep

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2 door Jeep JAY EL
Occupation
PROFESSIONAL DRIVER
I am so glad I found this thread.
I was just about to plunk down $1200 on a Alpha my local dealer has one in stock.

No way after reading these stories.

Former designer and engineer and when I read, "good enough for me," or "I can live with it," Bullsh!t!

When did consumers become such pussies. $1200 is a lot of money to me and my JEEP is not some POS where I have to just duct tape to keep stuff straight and tight...

Teraflex talks a MIGHTY BIG game for this kind of crap and you all accept that? REALLY?

MOtobuilt, you are to be commended. I going to look at their tire carrier.

I quote a line from the movies "Tommy Boy."

Tommy Callahan III: If you want me to take a dump in a box, and mark it guaranteed I will... I've got spare time.

Translation:

"I can put a piece sh!t in a box and put a guarantee on it, but all you have is a piece of sh!t!"

Shame on your Teraflex!

GoingInJeep

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2 door Jeep JAY EL
Occupation
PROFESSIONAL DRIVER
I just returned a POS HD PIVOT that was missing parts. I called their so-called customer support, and the guy helping me was, "DUH...,"

I returned it. ASAP. I don't need my crap falling off or screwing up my JEEP!

GoingInJeep

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2 door Jeep JAY EL
Occupation
PROFESSIONAL DRIVER

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I see on the Teraflex site the reinforcement kit is not currently available. Anyone know if Teraflex is redesigning it or is it literally just out of stock?

JAY1941

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
LE
In stock at north ridge

overcrawler

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Teraflex did mess up by not including the shims originally. Mine took two shims and now closes perfectly. It is the same as every other carrier that due to tolerances, most (many) people will need shims.

cball508

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392
Teraflex did mess up by not including the shims originally. Mine took two shims and now closes perfectly. It is the same as every other carrier that due to tolerances, most (many) people will need shims.
I'm going to install my shims this weekend. Where did you install your shims for best results?
Sponsored