Sponsored

Factory LED headlights too bright?

acsak

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2-door Wrangler JL Rubicon (Manual Transmission)
I've had my JL for two years now, and almost every time I drive at night I get multiple flashes from oncoming traffic suggesting that I have my high beams on when I'm using low beams. As a driver these lights are great, but many of my family and friends have told me that whenever they drive past a JL with LED headlights it's a terrible blinding experience. I have to admit that whenever I drive past another JL with LEDs I wonder if their brights are on. Driving a Jeep puts us in a higher driving position than lots of passenger cars so I can imagine that if you're in a typical sedan or something with average ride height these lights must burn right through your retinas every time we pass.

I know of one person who was immediately pulled after driving home from the dealer because his lights were too bright. He had to explain to the officer that they were stock lights and that it was not a lifted vehicle.

I'm still driving on stock suspension, so I can imagine that if/when I do a lift the problem will affect more oncoming drivers on the road.

I actually feel bad every time I drive past somebody who's flashing their high beams at me because I know I'm melting their eyes with these lights. There's nothing I can do except maybe turn off the headlights for a few seconds and drive only with fog lights. This is not a great idea either because then I can't see very far ahead, so I would never actually do this.

I think we all know how much it sucks to be blinded by high beams, especially on windy, narrow back roads. The fact that many of my friends have mentioned this as an issue when driving past a JL leads me to believe it's not just a problem with my Jeep, but do you all have any thoughts on this? Anybody with similar experiences?
Sponsored

Aloicious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Same thing happened to me, straight off the lot they were incorrectly adjusted. I would get flashed by every other vehicle. After adjusting them myself I Haven't had one person flash me since. High beams are actually useful now too.

Nailgun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I find LED's are great when two vehicles approaching each other are on equally flat ground. As soon as you throw in a hill in between, the 'cut off' with LED's are blinding momentarily. Even an approaching vehicle that hits a good bump in the road looks like a high beam flash. Your just going to have to get used to it I suppose.

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

but do you all have any thoughts on this? Anybody with similar experiences?
To be honest, this is the first time I've ever heard anyone complain about the stock LEDs being too bright. I've driven JKs and JLs with factory and aftermarket LEDs and never thought and of them to be excessively bright. I had JW Speaker LEDs on my JK and now have Oracle Oculus LEDs on my JL. Both required some very minor adjustment, but have never been to the point of blinding oncoming traffic. As suggested, it's possible that you need to adjust/aim the headlights.

OP
OP
acsak

acsak

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Same thing happened to me, straight off the lot they were incorrectly adjusted. I would get flashed by every other vehicle. After adjusting them myself I Haven't had one person flash me since. High beams are actually useful now too.

Yeah, it has seemed like the high beams are just illuminating the trees and not any more pavement in front me. Glad to hear that a small adjustment was so helpful.

OP
OP
acsak

acsak

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To be honest, this is the first time I've ever heard anyone complain about the stock LEDs being too bright. I've driven JKs and JLs with factory and aftermarket LEDs and never thought and of them to be excessively bright. I had JW Speaker LEDs on my JK and now have Oracle Oculus LEDs on my JL. Both required some very minor adjustment, but have never been to the point of blinding oncoming traffic. As suggested, it's possible that you need to adjust/aim the headlights.
Now that I'm reading through some responses I think I was incorrect to say that they're too bright - I think the problem is that they're just aimed too high from the factory. Yes, I think a minor adjustment is all I need.

Sponsored

OP
OP
acsak

acsak

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I find LED's are great when two vehicles approaching each other are on equally flat ground. As soon as you throw in a hill in between, the 'cut off' with LED's are blinding momentarily. Even an approaching vehicle that hits a good bump in the road looks like a high beam flash. Your just going to have to get used to it I suppose.
Yeah, that's a good point. Often times people are just hitting bumps in their lane, but this has been going on long enough that I can confirm that many people are angrily flashing their high beams.

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
I've had my JL for two years now, and almost every time I drive at night I get multiple flashes from oncoming traffic suggesting that I have my high beams on when I'm using low beams. As a driver these lights are great, but many of my family and friends have told me that whenever they drive past a JL with LED headlights it's a terrible blinding experience. I have to admit that whenever I drive past another JL with LEDs I wonder if their brights are on. Driving a Jeep puts us in a higher driving position than lots of passenger cars so I can imagine that if you're in a typical sedan or something with average ride height these lights must burn right through your retinas every time we pass.

I know of one person who was immediately pulled after driving home from the dealer because his lights were too bright. He had to explain to the officer that they were stock lights and that it was not a lifted vehicle.

I'm still driving on stock suspension, so I can imagine that if/when I do a lift the problem will affect more oncoming drivers on the road.

I actually feel bad every time I drive past somebody who's flashing their high beams at me because I know I'm melting their eyes with these lights. There's nothing I can do except maybe turn off the headlights for a few seconds and drive only with fog lights. This is not a great idea either because then I can't see very far ahead, so I would never actually do this.

I think we all know how much it sucks to be blinded by high beams, especially on windy, narrow back roads. The fact that many of my friends have mentioned this as an issue when driving past a JL leads me to believe it's not just a problem with my Jeep, but do you all have any thoughts on this? Anybody with similar experiences?
I have the led package on my jlr and never a problem. If they can’t push in a fuse at the factory, what makes you think the headlights are aimed correctly. Check the headlight alignment, be interested to see if it’s correct.

OP
OP
acsak

acsak

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the led package on my jlr and never a problem. If they can’t push in a fuse at the factory, what makes you think the headlights are aimed correctly. Check the headlight alignment, be interested to see if it’s correct.
I'm out on a long camping trip at the moment, but when I'm back home I'll check and measure the alignment.

I feel you. Improperly seated fuses is an astounding oversight in quality control. I was lucky enough not to have that problem. Overall, I've actually had close to zero problems with my Jeep other than maybe this misalignment and the hours of my life lost to the lockers trying to connect/disconnect which I'm sure we've all experienced.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
My headlamps were also a smidge too high when fresh out of the factory. Was getting flashed just about every time I ventured out at night. Haven't been flashed since I readjusted them.

OP
OP
acsak

acsak

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My headlamps were also a smidge too high when fresh out of the factory. Was getting flashed just about every time I ventured out at night. Haven't been flashed since I readjusted them.
Good to know. Did you also adjust to 3 feet high while 25 feet away?
Sponsored