Sponsored

I’m so excited it arrived 😡 @ExtremeTerrain I thought I heard a C-130 overhead.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Years ago when I needed a special oil that wasn’t in stores so I ordered 5-1 gallon containers. It came with the box sloppily ripped open, one missing and the box taped up by one of those roller tapers.
Sponsored

cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
A little over a month ago a farmer near me found over 40 fed ex packages in his field that a driver threw there. Made the St. Louis news. Hard to believe the driver thought he would get away with that.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

The heavy items almost always come with damaged boxes, but I personally never open before filing a complaint about the package with the company it was purchased with. they can then ask you if there was any damage to the product which give you the ability to open and inspect without them giving you grief in the long run if its fine then your all good if not then they will send you a replacement. just keep your cool with the seller and 95% of the time they will full take care of you without question.

Sparty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Sold) 04 TJ, 21 JTR, 21 JLR
Could it be that much more effort to double box it? Folks are shamefully lazy…
Not exactly - It's not lazy, it's business.

Take a major company. The director or above in Procurement sees packaging as a waste because it's literally thrown away/recycled 99% of the time. In their mind, that's the same as money being thrown away.

You have specific groups in these large companies dedicated to cost take-out of a product. The first target is always packaging as it doesn't degrade the product (in their opinion) and there's really no safety testing/codes that are related to the change.

Double-boxing it would be probably around $2 per package. If the product/project is done correctly, these packages are designed to meet a specification. (FedEx specifically has their own for under 150lbs). Any packaging added to make it more robust to that specification could be perceived as purely waste.

Now...in damage terms, if the company decides that the number of damaged products and dinged customer satisfaction are too much, then they can decide to add packaging to make it more robust.

Sounds fun - doesn't it? :)

EJWF11

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR

Take a major company. The director or above in Procurement sees packaging as a waste because it's literally thrown away/recycled 99% of the time. In their mind, that's the same as money being thrown away.

You have specific groups in these large companies dedicated to cost take-out of a product. The first target is always packaging as it doesn't degrade the product (in their opinion) and there's really no safety testing/codes that are related to the change.

Double-boxing it would be probably around $2 per package. If the product/project is done correctly, these packages are designed to meet a specification. (FedEx specifically has their own for under 150lbs). Any packaging added to make it more robust to that specification could be perceived as purely waste.

Now...in damage terms, if the company decides that the number of damaged products and dinged customer satisfaction are too much, then they can decide to add packaging to make it more robust.

Sounds cheap & lazy. 😂

Sponsored

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
There seem to be two predominant methods for packaging these days:

1 - good quality box, and absolutely no padding whatsoever.
2 - wrapped in a bubblewrap/packing tape cocoon, with a tattered piece of cardboard ("the box") taped to the outside.

Remarkably, both seem to work, as I haven't had any damage claims in years. But sometimes i'm at a loss to understand how something survived a cross-country trip in the packaging it arrived in.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK

Sounds like a whole lotta people need fired to me.

SSinGA

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2018 JLUR, 2016 JKRHR, 2012 JKU Sahara
Good job on documenting the box condition. Now video the opening and inspection of the product inside. Good luck if it's damaged because I've heard some horror stories recently with ET customer service.

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
You tagged the vendor in a provocative thread title, Paul, so play fair here and finish the story. Please disclose the condition of the box's contents.

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T

What Sparty said is correct but in addition to that, double boxing likely puts the dims in the next higher shipping volume class which at least doubles the cost of shipping, but more than likely triples it. Packages like that typically travel by LTL commercial carrier, not by courier.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

If the bumper cant handle UPS shipping it sure as heck isnt going to be able to handle any trails.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
This is why companies like Shrockworks and LOD pack their stuff so well. It's a pain to get their products unwrapped, but rarely do they show up damaged. While I'm not a fan of Extreme Terrain, this isn't their fault, this is on DV8 and how they choose to cut corners to save some money on shipping.

Usually these things ship via freight to shops and they don't get damaged that way, but when shipped to a person a box needs a lot more packaging material to handle UPS and FedEx system. Plus it looks like DV8 picked a low quality box, I'd expect much thicker walls like a 500# cardboard. That looks like a 250# wall.
I bought an LoD front bumper and skid plate and it was ridiculous how protected it was. Great foam padding with plastic wrap around the bumper. Rock Hard 4X4 was a similar experience with their rock sliders. Impeccably packed and in perfect condition. Not to mention there are so many attachment points I bet you could lift the Jeep from the slider with no issues. I felt bad for the delivery guy as both those items are damn heavy.
Sponsored