Sponsored

What tools would you keep on board for the JL to get it to the shop?

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
My 2 door would need a trailer to carry all of that crap. Over Half of that is big time overkill..
It has sure come in handy a few times...

it’s really not that bad. I fit it in a Plano tote that is about the width of the rear, maybe 13” tall and 13” deep. (Guessing here)

I still have room for my electric fridge/freezer that I also bring on most trips.

When my family of four goes to Moab, I bring that tote, fridge/freezer, and all our crap for a week and can still see out the back window. We aren’t camping, but seriously, it isn’t that bad.

8ED39CC0-512B-42C2-9029-8CB48D04C039.jpeg
Sponsored

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Here's a link to the tote I use.

Sportsman's Trunk Large Black | PLANO® | Storage (planomolding.com)

Here's the link to the tote I used to use (broke apart at some point.)

HDX 17 Gal. Tough Storage Bin in Black-SH17GTOUGHTLDBY - The Home Depot

The Plano trunk has to go in side to side. The Home Depot one fits front to back. Both fit all that stuff no problem.

For sure its overkill if you don't use your jeep the way I do. At the very least, my list should be good to get someone thinking about what they might want for how they use their Jeep. Any question on why I bring something on that list I am happy to answer. I assure you, everything is there because of a prior need on a rock crawling adventure, either for myself, or for others in the group or other groups we come upon. An obvious one to pick on would be the starter fluid. Starter fluid won't help you start one of these JL's, why would you carry that? If you need to reseat a tire bead on the trail, you'll be thankful you have that starter fluid. Much simpler than the ratchet strap and air compressor method. (unless you have a powertank)

If you think mine is overkill, check out a recent video by ponytail on youtube as he packs for the recent JKX trip.

I like totes. I have different ones for different activities. I have one similar to the Plano trunk that has fly fishing gear in it. Waders, rods, reels, flies, net, etc. Going rock crawling, grab the one tote. Going fishing, grab the other one. Etc.

OP
OP
DadJokes

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I don’t think I’ll be crawling any bigger rocks than my clearance allows or scaling near vertical walls/shelves where skids are a necessity so where does it end? I don’t know that I’d want to carry a spare axle, or other large spares. Maybe a U joint if things aren’t Fubared too bad. There’s some things on your list that I think anyone going far away from civilization should take. At some point though, I may reside ourselves to needing a recovery even if it’s sting the credit card after trying all my recovery options and we can’t limp off the trail. If it was a large group where each could carry one thing someone would need, that would lessen the load out.

It’s definitely a case by case and individual preference thing to an extent. But again, some things are no brainers.

Right now, what size sockets specific to the JL would everyone carry and what specific breakage would you be prepared to fix with those sockets/wrenches?

OP
OP
DadJokes

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
Jeep Wrangler JL What tools would you keep on board for the JL to get it to the shop? 8ED39CC0-512B-42C2-9029-8CB48D04C039

What manner of crazy homebrew jack stand is that, preventing your buddy from pushing that jeep over, despite his best attempts? Wingnuts + Jack-bases Forever. Could use a few washers though.

Pretty sure that control arm skid was laughing at the entire wheel assembly in this photo.

I carry an adjustable stool in the back now because I can't squat like that for more than five minutes anymore without crying afterwards. Highly recommended.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DadJokes

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Besides the 22mm for factory lug nuts, off the top of your head, do you know of any other sockets you should have in short, deep, or both?

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
8ED39CC0-512B-42C2-9029-8CB48D04C039.jpeg

What manner of crazy homebrew jack stand is that, preventing your buddy from pushing that jeep over, despite his best attempts? Wingnuts + Jack-bases Forever. Could use a few washers though.

Pretty sure that control arm skid was laughing at the entire wheel assembly in this photo.

I carry an adjustable stool in the back now because I can't squat like that for more than five minutes anymore without crying afterwards. Highly recommended.
Just now saw your response as I wasn't directly responded to or tagged in the post so sorry for the delay. I do enjoy responding to such constructive posts such as this one, so I am sorry I missed it at the time.

The jack is this: Bottle Jack Recovery Kit With 6 Ton Bottle Jack – Safe Jack (safejacks.com)

The base is this: Universal Bottle Jack Base – Safe Jack (safejacks.com)

It seems to work pretty good. Basically stack washers under the arm and then wing nut on top to secure the bottom of the jack to the jack base. Actually feels pretty solid, but I do agree a permanently fixed base would be better. (though slightly harder to stow) Certainly don't use it at home where I have multiple proper jacks. I like the bottle extensions and the shaped pads at the top. For example in the picture above the "U" shaped section is around the axle tube. Next time I use it I'll see if you are around to put a washer under the wing nut for me.

I do regret not putting the tire under the frame though while it was on the jack. I do that regularly at home. Guess the pressure of a trail repair, the sun starting to set, and the unknown can get to us sometimes. (Plus my young kid crapped their pants during all this)

Also to note, I now use a smaller container for all the tools/jack/etc. I bring on the trail. Still carry all the same stuff, just putting it in a smaller box. My previous plano box worked great but had a lot of left over space.

Jeep Wrangler JL What tools would you keep on board for the JL to get it to the shop? red-husky-storage-bins-248921-1d_600

Jeep Wrangler JL What tools would you keep on board for the JL to get it to the shop? 37M-BJRK-6W-new_1024x1024

Last edited:

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
DadJokes

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Sorry for the delay. I carry through 18mm in short and have an 18, 19, 21, and 24 in deep.

Thanks
19mm? I need to carry one for my Apex Autolynx sway disconnects but what else would that be for? Thanks

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
19mm? I need to carry one for my Apex Autolynx sway disconnects but what else would that be for? Thanks
Due to all the mods like skids, full lift, sliders, disconnects, etc it’s hard for me to say where it would be used on everyone’s Jeep. I just know it gets used on mine and is frequently used (not necessarily on the trail, rarely need the tools on the trail). I only have one socket in the bigger sizes and just keep it in the Jeep box. I don’t keep track of the size of every bolt. I just notice when I use something during installs and throw new oddballs in the bag.

I did use my tools a couple weeks ago though. Someone in our group whom I’d never met decided to hit a large water crossing with like 30” deep water at 20+ mph. Sucked water into the air box and killed the engine.

We towed him out, dried up the air box, used an air nozzle and dried the air filter (the best we could), removed all the crap blocking access to the spark plugs, pulled all the spark plugs to drain water out, turned the engine over and shot water all over the place out the spark plug holes, reinstalled everything and crossed our fingers.

Fortunately didn’t hydrolock and we finished the day. Was glad I had all my tools with me.

Sponsored

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
Just now saw your response as I wasn't directly responded to or tagged in the post so sorry for the delay. I do enjoy responding to such constructive posts such as this one, so I am sorry I missed it at the time.

The jack is this: Bottle Jack Recovery Kit With 6 Ton Bottle Jack – Safe Jack (safejacks.com)

The base is this: Universal Bottle Jack Base – Safe Jack (safejacks.com)

It seems to work pretty good. Basically stack washers under the arm and then wing nut on top to secure the bottom of the jack to the jack base. Actually feels pretty solid, but I do agree a permanently fixed base would be better. (though slightly harder to stow) Certainly don't use it at home where I have multiple proper jacks. I like the bottle extensions and the shaped pads at the top. For example in the picture above the "U" shaped section is around the axle tube. Next time I use it I'll see if you are around to put a washer under the wing nut for me.

I do regret not putting the tire under the frame though while it was on the jack. I do that regularly at home. Guess the pressure of a trail repair, the sun starting to set, and the unknown can get to us sometimes. (Plus my young kid crapped their pants during all this)

Also to note, I now use a smaller container for all the tools/jack/etc. I bring on the trail. Still carry all the same stuff, just putting it in a smaller box. My previous plano box worked great but had a lot of left over space.

Jeep Wrangler JL What tools would you keep on board for the JL to get it to the shop? 37M-BJRK-6W-new_1024x1024

Sorry, apparently I'm not very good at forums, but I'm learning. Nice of you to come back to this and respond.

Ha, I'll carry some spare fender washers just for you. Sorry about the poop. No kids here, but had two dogs with random unexpected explosive diarhea. I always recommend backup undies/clothes for travel in general.

Did the three (four?) little arms off the jack come from Safe Jack? I've never seen them.

+1 on tire under frame, and I also use the Safe Jack "U" top and extensions with my own bottle jack, and highly recommend them as well.

A fixed base is certainly "better" but nobody has room for that on the road. I use a piece of 2x10 or a 12x12 plate of 1/4" steel.

For this original post's question: I'd include a longer breaker bar and socket, or cheater pipe, to supplement or replace the stock lug wrench. They'll fit in the little jack/tool cubby. 130 ft/lbs + corrosion is no joke.

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
Wait, why do you need the 19mm for the Autolynx? You just twist the top.

DadJokes, are you entirely disconnecting your quick-disconnects? I applaud the stick-to-itiveness to your screen name.

OP
OP
DadJokes

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Wait, why do you need the 19mm for the Autolynx? You just twist the top.

DadJokes, are you entirely disconnecting your quick-disconnects? I applaud the stick-to-itiveness to your screen name.
I’m considering putting it in the tool bag because 19mm isn’t as common and that’s the size of the Nylok nut they include for the link to sway bar fastener.

Lol, no. Just turning the knobs as I’m airing down and it’s done.

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
I’m considering putting it in the tool bag because 19mm isn’t as common and that’s the size of the Nylok nut they include for the link to sway bar fastener.

Lol, no. Just turning the knobs as I’m airing down and it’s done.
Yours came with a Nylok? I think I reused the old hardware and Loctite to attach mine. When did you get them?

You can carry way too many sockets if you want, by sticking them in the cubby that holds the scissor jack.
Sponsored