Sponsored

A-hole Dealer on the Phone

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Anyone ever encounter a salesman who refused to give a quote over the phone?

Just reached out to a dealer in the NY area who has 4xe’s in stock and seemingly low prices on them at least according to their lease calculator... I currently have an order for a Willys but have been seeing some competitive prices on 4xe’s so wanted to see how they compare... Anyway, he said they are “selling like hot cakes” so they don’t need to give quotes over the phone!?! And he basically laughed at me when I said he might be losing a sale.

I live over an hour away so was hoping to get a price since I am not going in not having any idea on pricing.
He is not wrong or lying when he says selling like hot cakes. Literally every single new vehicle is selling at MSRP. It does not mean he has to be a d&ck.

We just went through this buying a Mini for the wife. It was quite the experience. First we were just going to buy a lightly used one. All of them for sale the folks were almost at MSRP and would not deal at all on used like 15K miles and 2-3 years old. 5 different ones at 5 different dealers all across the Eastern US (we were willing to ship).

Then we just turned our search to new knowing that new was going to be at MSRP. All the new ones we were interested were at dealers several hundred miles away. In our experience some wanted our business and gave pricing - all in shipped to our door and others simply were like your experience. Personally I didn't care what spec they had if they were a d%ck, we moved on and let our money talk. Sure they don't care as it will be sold tomorrow but we were not going to give a dime to someone that wasn't at least human in kindness.

Eventually we found a great dealer, a great salesmen and the transaction was awesome. Delivered to our door when promised at the price promised.

Bottom line OP you do what you want with your money but I would move off them and keep calling around. You will find the right Jeep at the right dealer for the right price. Just don't expect any deals right now.
Sponsored

OP
OP
JeepLeap

JeepLeap

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys
Look @ leasehacker. Many people are getting $0 down / $300 month for the 4xe.
Not sure where they are getting those deals because it’s seems to be almost 2x that even with money down when I check. I’ve moved on and am sticking with my order. The 4Xe prices I’ve been hearing about don’t seem real at least in my area.

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
If you see they have vehicles in stock than you could see the MSRP via window sticker. Not sure I’m following calling for a price. Ever try to sell something on the internet and get a dozen time wasters asking for a better price or offering a low ball offer? Dealers get that every hour of every day. That’s exactly what you sound like to them and always will until you walk through the door. You can thank the time wasters for your experience.
Well, that is the job they chose. just part of sales, you get a lot of time wasters. Being rude or even short with them doesn't ever earn you business. My business is currently full of buyers with resources and sellers with greedy attitudes. Five years ago it was sellers discounting like crazy to attract buyers who were still wanting to chisel on prices. The car market is very similar as are all supply and demand based businesses. As a salesperson you suck it up and work with what you have. Two dealers just lost my business, the third earned it with only a token discount, a smooth process and a good attitude. That is how you make sales work.

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Glad. Mojave, 16 JKU Sahara, 20 Supra

Just reached out to a dealer in the NY area who has 4xe’s in stock and seemingly low prices on them at least according to their lease calculator... I currently have an order for a Willys but have been seeing some competitive prices on 4xe’s so wanted to see how they compare... Anyway, he said they are “selling like hot cakes” so they don’t need to give quotes over the phone!?! And he basically laughed at me when I said he might be losing a sale.

I live over an hour away so was hoping to get a price since I am not going in not having any idea on pricing.
This dealer interaction reminds me of a scene from the movie ”A Bronxs tale”. A kid forms a friendship with a mobster. In this scene the kid is lamenting over another kid who owes him $20 and is now ducking him whenever he sees him and won’t pay. The mobster says, “ look at it this way, for $20 you learned what a Jamoke this guy really is and to stay away from him” . :like:

Sounds like this dealer pretty clearly showed their true stripes to you.

sk00pie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Willys
Not sure where they are getting those deals because it’s seems to be almost 2x that even with money down when I check. I’ve moved on and am sticking with my order. The 4Xe prices I’ve been hearing about don’t seem real at least in my area.
Check the forums! Friend of mine confirmed with one in NY too. Apparently dealers are leveraging the 7500 incentive toward the overall lease cost.

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Check the forums! Friend of mine confirmed with one in NY too. Apparently dealers are leveraging the 7500 incentive toward the overall lease cost.
Yup, since Chrysler Cap is the owner of the vehicle, they're able to immediately apply the 7500 as a reduction in cap cost. Since RV is static based on vehicle MSRP, the reduction directly reduces the amount of financed depreciation. Confirmed with my dealer prior to placing my order.

On a 36 month lease, this equates to a more than $200 reduction in payment.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
Well, that is the job they chose. just part of sales, you get a lot of time wasters. Being rude or even short with them doesn't ever earn you business. My business is currently full of buyers with resources and sellers with greedy attitudes. Five years ago it was sellers discounting like crazy to attract buyers who were still wanting to chisel on prices. The car market is very similar as are all supply and demand based businesses. As a salesperson you suck it up and work with what you have. Two dealers just lost my business, the third earned it with only a token discount, a smooth process and a good attitude. That is how you make sales work.
If one has more time to spend on real customers than with time wasters than business is being generated by being rude or short with them. I know we as customers expect businesses to bend over for us and are entitled but reality is a salesperson working on commission is going to head for the money. If they deem you as a timewaster they're not going to suck anything up and I don't blame them. If either of the first two dealers generated two leads or made a sale at MSRP or close to then they came out ahead compared to your potential sale. Not to mention any dealer adds on they might've made bigger bucks on.

Speak with your wallet and if you tried to than it wasn't good enough. Nothing personal either but if they're not discounting a car where you want it to be at than it's because they know it'll be sold for their price. There are plenty of reasons to hate dealerships but not discounting a vehicle is not one of them.

Wbino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
I see a dealers point, why spend time on the phone with someone who is calling every dealership within a 50 mile radius just for the best price.
Do your homework and walk into a dealership and deal.
It's the only way......

OP
OP
JeepLeap

JeepLeap

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys
Yup, since Chrysler Cap is the owner of the vehicle, they're able to immediately apply the 7500 as a reduction in cap cost. Since RV is static based on vehicle MSRP, the reduction directly reduces the amount of financed depreciation. Confirmed with my dealer prior to placing my order.

On a 36 month lease, this equates to a more than $200 reduction in payment.
I totally understand the $7500 credit and the prices I am getting from the dealers, according to them, take that into account. Lease quote I received yesterday was mid 500’s per month WITH the $7500 off!!!

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I totally understand the $7500 credit and the prices I am getting from the dealers, according to them, take that into account. Lease quote I received yesterday was mid 500’s per month WITH the $7500 off!!!
To get in the high $300s, they're doing Saharas (higher RV by 1% then Rub on 36s), getting ~10% off MSRP before the $7500. And possibly one pays to reduce the MF.

Note, the RVs went down by a percent this month, but the MF went down a little.

You'll have to do an internet volume dealer to get that much off. Affiliate/Tread lightly will only get you around 5% off MSRP.

Sponsored

Killed by Death

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2021 Rubicon 2 Door

Loud mouth a$$hole salesman in NY? Imagine that 😜

jeepingmamavt

First Name
Jenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ, 2021 Unlimited Rubicon
He is not wrong or lying when he says selling like hot cakes. Literally every single new vehicle is selling at MSRP. It does not mean he has to be a d&ck.

We just went through this buying a Mini for the wife. It was quite the experience. First we were just going to buy a lightly used one. All of them for sale the folks were almost at MSRP and would not deal at all on used like 15K miles and 2-3 years old. 5 different ones at 5 different dealers all across the Eastern US (we were willing to ship).

Then we just turned our search to new knowing that new was going to be at MSRP. All the new ones we were interested were at dealers several hundred miles away. In our experience some wanted our business and gave pricing - all in shipped to our door and others simply were like your experience. Personally I didn't care what spec they had if they were a d%ck, we moved on and let our money talk. Sure they don't care as it will be sold tomorrow but we were not going to give a dime to someone that wasn't at least human in kindness.

Eventually we found a great dealer, a great salesmen and the transaction was awesome. Delivered to our door when promised at the price promised.

Bottom line OP you do what you want with your money but I would move off them and keep calling around. You will find the right Jeep at the right dealer for the right price. Just don't expect any deals right now.
Exactly. If I'm spending 50K on a vehicle, I'm not giving it to you if you're a dick.

jeepingmamavt

First Name
Jenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ, 2021 Unlimited Rubicon
I see a dealers point, why spend time on the phone with someone who is calling every dealership within a 50 mile radius just for the best price.
It's the only way......
This is not true. I had my deal, 1500 under MSRP, completely done through e-mail.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
It's the only way......
Sadly this is just not the norm any longer. For many reasons.
1. Dealers are used to dealing with true buyers over the phone or email because they had to for the last 18 months to survive.
2. Supply for new is VERY limited and that dealer that has what you want may be lots of miles or even states away. Happened to us. The car we wanted was 2 states away.
3. Buying new isn't as simple as "doing your research and walking in" any longer.

I get your point and that sure is the way of pre-covid but isn't and not going to happen anytime in the near future.

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
If one has more time to spend on real customers than with time wasters than business is being generated by being rude or short with them. I know we as customers expect businesses to bend over for us and are entitled but reality is a salesperson working on commission is going to head for the money. If they deem you as a timewaster they're not going to suck anything up and I don't blame them. If either of the first two dealers generated two leads or made a sale at MSRP or close to then they came out ahead compared to your potential sale. Not to mention any dealer adds on they might've made bigger bucks on.

Speak with your wallet and if you tried to than it wasn't good enough. Nothing personal either but if they're not discounting a car where you want it to be at than it's because they know it'll be sold for their price. There are plenty of reasons to hate dealerships but not discounting a vehicle is not one of them.
Is that why they followed up, because they didn't want/need a sale from me? You know what they say about assuming right? Both of the other dealers made the wrong assumption, period. A sale is a sale, the salesperson wasn't going to benefit from the extra $500 the dealer I ordered from gave up, it would not have been a waste of time to ask the question the third dealer did, what would it take to earn your business? The answer was, not much, mostly just being concerned enough to ask, and a token sum. Good Luck with your version... In all three cases, there were salespeople standing around the sales floor doing nothing.
Sponsored