The Tire Carrier Thread

Robicon-JLU

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Just installed the Teraflex Alpha HD on my 2021 JLUR and am very impressed with it and the great support from Teraflex sending me the camera adapter needed for the 2021 in only a few days (I’m in Canada). Couple questions though...

Has anyone here installed the protective clear film (3M, etc) in between the new carrier and the tailgate? I didn’t but am tempted to remove it and put some on... although I can’t see that thing moving at all to damage the paint.

Also, I didn’t trim the rubber supports for the tire - I am squishing them pretty good instead as I figured it would help prevent any noise coming from the back (lugs pushing tire in, rubber bumps trying to push out). Should that be ok? I did see a post with someone having done the same.

Thanks in advance!

Atom631

First Name
Atom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
It seems that the frame-mounted carriers are married to their respective bumpers. Are there any options out there for a frame mounted carrier that can work with a factory bumper?

how about a frame mounted carrier that has an aluminum bumper to help offset some weight?

What hinge mount carrier keep the tire the tightest to the tailgate.

OP
OP
Rubi-Zero

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon , Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
Motobilts carrier keeps it as close to the tailgate as possible. I hate it when I see a tire carrier that has the wheel and tire hanging off the back with so much space between it and the tailgate.

xylodan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
I just installed this AEV rear bumper and tire carrier. This is my first on a JL have owned (2) others on my JK’s.

B8BBD0B8-0697-4A6F-98FA-E8FC04B21BAB.jpeg
I have my sights on this.
The cost is pretty high and am wondering what other options are available.
I plan on also having the diesel fuel caddy.
Did you do the install yourself?
Thanks for any info.

Sponsored

Kmart

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Hey guys, new to the forum. I'm installing a hooke road rear bumper with tire carrier and need options for a camera & third brake light harness extension. I'd really like to just have a plug and play option to connect the harness. Anybody know where to buy one for a 2021 JLUR?

GoingInJeep

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2 door Jeep JAY EL
Occupation
PROFESSIONAL DRIVER
Yea I agree that a bumper mounted solution would be best and you guys have shown that you really think your designs through. It's just a big bullet to bite when I'm also trying to buy a front bumper, winch, CB, tent, left lung, leather seat covers, soft top, sanity, LED headlights, LED fog lamps, retirement fund, light bar, etc., etc., etc., etc,. etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,

*deep breath*

etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,
That is a thing about jeep aftermarket parts and products they don’t care they know they got you by the shorten Curleys just got to do a lot of hunting and packing and researching and trying to get the best discount to get on stuff I feel your pain brother

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Next Venture have been busy. Spoke to Dan yesterday and just ordered this.

https://nextventuremotorsports.com/...ear-bumper-rimrocker-series-with-tire-carrier

Jeep Wrangler JL The Tire Carrier Thread NV-JL-00001-TCCapture_1080x
That's a waste of $1,700 you can buy front and rear bumpers and the spare tire carrier replacement for the 37 or bigger for a lot cheaper or at least that price. And that's all three things there is not a damn thing special about that set up for $1,700 don't even try to tell me there is for that price. But somebody that's got plenty of money well thank because they spent that much money it's got to be special. I had a rear bumper set up like that on my JK back in 2014 and it was the heavy duty roll bar steel. It look great and that entire setup was only $900. But on my JL Rubicon with 37s I decided and ordered the factory steel bumper setup and then I bought the Mopar spare tire carrier for that nice clean look. I did not want everything big and bulky like I had on my JK for my JL. That's why I love about the factory bumper the steel one the wind is hid down in there really good for a clean look. Everyone that confidence my Jeep says it's nice and clean looking because nothing big and bulky. Heavy duty doesn't mean big and bulky people think it does sometimes

20200731_160804.jpg

Low_Spark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
That's a waste of $1,700 you can buy front and rear bumpers and the spare tire carrier replacement for the 37 or bigger for a lot cheaper or at least that price. And that's all three things there is not a damn thing special about that set up for $1,700 don't even try to tell me there is for that price. But somebody that's got plenty of money well thank because they spent that much money it's got to be special. I had a rear bumper set up like that on my JK back in 2014 and it was the heavy duty roll bar steel. It look great and that entire setup was only $900. But on my JL Rubicon with 37s I decided and ordered the factory steel bumper setup and then I bought the Mopar spare tire carrier for that nice clean look. I did not want everything big and bulky like I had on my JK for my JL. That's why I love about the factory bumper the steel one the wind is hid down in there really good for a clean look. Everyone that confidence my Jeep says it's nice and clean looking because nothing big and bulky. Heavy duty doesn't mean big and bulky people think it does sometimes

Jeep Wrangler JL The Tire Carrier Thread 20200731_160804
I wanted to take the tire weight off of my tailgate while maintaining a single swing out function, have built in reverse lights, shackle mounts, and a lock out feature to keep my tail gate open. I will also add that the total weight, with tire carrier, is around 85 pounds. To your comment about price, I bought it during their 4th of July sale, not to mention I intentionally did not order the steel bumper group when I bought my jeep, specifically because I knew I would go after market.

I'm really glad you like your setup, but your judgement was neither asked for nor needed.

Sponsored

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I wanted to take the tire weight off of my tailgate while maintaining a single swing out function, have built in reverse lights, shackle mounts, and a lock out feature to keep my tail gate open. I will also add that the total weight, with tire carrier, is around 85 pounds. To your comment about price, I bought it during their 4th of July sale, not to mention I intentionally did not order the steel bumper group when I bought my jeep, specifically because I knew I would go after market.

I'm really glad you like your setup, but your judgement was neither asked for nor needed.
Mine is off the tailgate also with the Mopar carrier when you get on social media and post people are allowed to give their comments and their opinions don't go on social media if you don't want them you don't have to ask for them you open yourself for them being on social media that's how it works

Low_Spark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Mine is off the tailgate also with the Mopar carrier when you get on social media and post people are allowed to give their comments and their opinions don't go on social media if you don't want them you don't have to ask for them you open yourself for them being on social media that's how it works
Lol did somebody not refill the coffee pot for you this morning? You must be a blast to be around. Also you might want to google the Mopar carrier, your spare tire is still mounted to your tail gate.

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ‘20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
Waited since early 2019 to get my AEV rear bumper set-up. Personally, the wait was worth it!
Jeep Wrangler JL The Tire Carrier Thread 3EA27B1B-2A80-4D5C-AE84-BD181F51E289

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Lol did somebody not refill the coffee pot for you this morning? You must be a blast to be around. Also you might want to google the Mopar carrier, your spare tire is still mounted to your tail gate.
The one I bought that Mopar makes holds up to a 42-in tire and with 37s I think I'm fine. Oh yes we are a blast to be around we party at the lake every weekend. Nothing like being on the lake with a bunch of big boats sounds like fun to me. And yes that's my other toy by the way

Screenshot_20181024-024644_Gallery.jpg

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ‘20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
For the amount of off roading that I do, I hated the fact that my 35" spare tire and wheel were attached to my tailgate.

Thus the long wait for what I initially wanted and to mount the spare to suit my needs and requirement. Now, I can hang a 37" set-up properly.
Sponsored