Sponsored

Stripped Torx Bolts - Help!

SundayJeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
With a combination of my impact driver and a socket wrench, I’ve been Attempting to remove the door hinge t50 bolts. However, I’ve not only gouged the everloving hell out of my Jeep but I’ve also stripped 2 of the bolts. Any suggestions on how to get these out? I’ve not had to use any kind of extractor before and I’m unsure of the route I need to go. The bolts don’t need to be saved, I just need them out of there.

1C39CE87-BE31-4066-B129-807D497D49DF.jpeg

2ABABB17-9316-4DF8-938A-24D61F23E8FF.jpeg
Sponsored

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
If your doing this because you are installing hinge steps, be prepared because the bolts that come with the hinge steps are even softer. The bolt looks to still have some thread left so perhaps a breaker bar will help.

OP
OP
SundayJeeper

SundayJeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If your doing this because you are installing hinge steps, be prepared because the bolts that come with the hinge steps are even softer. The bolt looks to still have some thread left so perhaps a breaker bar will help.
I did notice that and was able to get one on with just a bit of effort, but this second one is a no go. You’re right, I do think there is some thread left, more so in one than the other, but I’ve decided to call it quits and take it to 4wp before I do any further rampage damage.

OP
OP
SundayJeeper

SundayJeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I did notice that and was able to get one on with just a bit of effort, but this second one is a no go. You’re right, I do think there is some thread left, more so in one than the other, but I’ve decided to call it quits and take it to 4wp before I do any further rampage damage.
Yup...in the videos they make it look so easy..

RealMenDIY

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
With a combination of my impact driver and a socket wrench, I’ve been Attempting to remove the door hinge t50 bolts. However, I’ve not only gouged the everloving hell out of my Jeep but I’ve also stripped 2 of the bolts. Any suggestions on how to get these out? I’ve not had to use any kind of extractor before and I’m unsure of the route I need to go. The bolts don’t need to be saved, I just need them out of there.

Jeep Wrangler JL Stripped Torx Bolts - Help! 2ABABB17-9316-4DF8-938A-24D61F23E8FF

Jeep Wrangler JL Stripped Torx Bolts - Help! 2ABABB17-9316-4DF8-938A-24D61F23E8FF
Score the paint around the bolt head with a utility knife.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I saw it shortly after I posted this thread. It’s what made me decide to just give it up and take it to someone. I’ve done so much myself, way more complicated things, seems like such a silly little thing to give up on but oh well.
Did you try using the correct size bit? Those are T55, not T50.

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
The paint probably tightens up the hole of the T55, may need to tap it in.

I've broken a bolt extractor before, I would exhaust ALL other options before using one. Not as easy to drill out the hardened tool steel as drilling out a bolt.

If the T-55 doesnt work, I'd try a hex socket pounded in, then cut a slotted screw pattern in the face with a dremel.

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
I'm wondering why you'd be trying to remove these hinges?? Seems they are the ones on the body, is there an accessory that you need to do this? I cant think of a reason to do this?

Just wondering? :whew:

Go Jeep!!!

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I'm wondering why you'd be trying to remove these hinges?? Seems they are the ones on the body, is there an accessory that you need to do this? I cant think of a reason to do this?

Just wondering? :whew:

Go Jeep!!!
Hinge steps mount there, I think there’s a couple other things too.

Odierub

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburban
I hope that’s what’s trying to be accomplished. I had a friend years ago try removing the doors via the inside hinges.:headbang:
Sponsored