Hypermiling the 4xe's e-range

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
I will preface this by saying the 4xe is not a fuel/energy efficient vehicle. That is not it's design purpose. However, I've been interested in conserving e-range on days I go in to my office, which is 14.7 miles one way.

Today I pulled into my garage with 29.4 driven on electric and I still had 7 miles of range left! The range computer was being conservative too, so I may have been able to stretch it out to a 38 mile range.

The day prior I did 32 actual miles with full electric and the day before 33 (with estimated remaining range).

Conditions
  • Temp was mid 80s F
  • Flat drive
  • Stop and go moderate to heavy traffic with no highway
  • E range was 31 at the start
  • Windows open
  • 36 psi
  • 4H Auto (was by accident)
Techniques
  • I stuck to the speed limit, max speed was 45 mph
  • Gentle acceleration - I try to keep the power around 50% to 70% on acceleration
  • I use non ACC cruise control when I can since adaptive does not drive efficiently (nor does the person in front)
  • Conserved momentum when possible
  • Regen only braking

I'm not sure what the battery percent was halfway, but when I got to work range was 15 miles after having driven 14.7. I stopped tracking % on the display as I think it's not the best way to judge what the system is doing.

It felt like I hit nearly every traffic light along the way today, so I wasn't expecting these results.

Now if I'm on a long or fun drive, I'm not messing with all the above.
Sponsored

Litfury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On order: 2022 Rubicon XR Hydro Blue
Thanks for this update and the details. Can’t wait to get my 4xE and do the same. I have seen several other forum posts from members getting consistently more than 21 miles of EV range.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
I hypermile my JK by towing it everywhere.

Gorilla83

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue JLUR 4XE, 2021 Tesla 3 Performance
Occupation
Tech and Real Estate Guy
Impressive! In my first several trips, I've been averaging 25-26 with my Rubicon. We live in a hilly area and some of that is highway driving so I could easily see how you could be at 30+ on flat roads in a Sahara.

OP
OP

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Impressive! In my first several trips, I've been averaging 25-26 with my Rubicon. We live in a hilly area and some of that is highway driving so I could easily see how you could be at 30+ on flat roads in a Sahara.
Yup, hills, "hard" acceleration and driving 55 MPH+ are what digs into the range.

If I were not being as careful my e-range is usually around 27 to 28. For me it's the challenge of the round trip to work. Plus I'm not dealing with the stress of racing everyone around to the next traffic light.

I'm just shocked I can drive 45 MPH, hit a dozen or so traffic lights and manage to squeeze out around 10 extra miles of range.

The flat roads and temperature are the ideal conditions, even given the heavy traffic.

Sponsored

OP
OP

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Supposedly 4H Auto is less efficient but I'm wondering if the 4H Auto may have helped. Some people say it makes for more regeneration but I don't know if that's true. But no way a little extra regen is going to add miles back.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Supposedly 4H Auto is less efficient but I'm wondering if the 4H Auto may have helped. Some people say it makes for more regeneration but I don't know if that's true. But no way a little extra regen is going to add miles back.
I don't see it in the Wrangler manual, but in my Ram, 4wd Auto engages the front axle but leave the t-case in 2hi until slippage is sensed. The added rotating mass of the axle and front drive shaft is what reduces efficiency.

Edit: Confirmed:

OP
OP

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
I don't see it in the Wrangler manual, but in my Ram, 4wd Auto engages the front axle but leave the t-case in 2hi until slippage is sensed. The added rotating mass of the axle and front drive shaft is what reduces efficiency.

Edit: Confirmed:
So I likely could have done a little better, lol. But I've heard it isn't too significant of a hit.
Sponsored