Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

BIGBOYFOY

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Sport
Same folks who keep putitng 6 quarts into these engines. You gotta bark this up the chain and filing NHTSA complaints is IMPORTANT. I can't emphasize that enough. Take the time to do it. If there are enough out there, they'll push Stellantis on it. At the same time, start going up the chain, including regional and corporate levels.
Dan,
I truly appreciate your continued support.
NHTSA complaint is filed.
JeepCares Contacted.
I have two separate cases with Chrysler, but my case manager does not seem to know anything about the recall? She was reading and referencing the recall for the first time with me on the phone and was only referring to what the dealer told her. "This recall says that it is a computer update issue, and the dealer stated that these parts effected are not covered under recall or warranty" I asked if I could talk to someone higher up and she said that this was the highest that I could possibly go. Do you have any contact numbers?
Sponsored

BIGBOYFOY

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Sport
Ugh, 3K for a clutch replacement (parts+labor). Dropping a Jeep tranny has to be simple. You'd think 400 parts, and 1k labor would be plenty and they're going to replace it with the same crummy design. Hopefully the aftermarket steps up like Centerforce has.
It is ridiculous, I think I am going to try to do it myself. It may take all week as I do not know what I am doing. 10 hours of dealer labor quoted? I think not.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Dan,
JeepCares Contacted.
I have two separate cases with Chrysler, but my case manager does not seem to know anything about the recall? She was reading and referencing the recall for the first time with me on the phone and was only referring to what the dealer told her. "This recall says that it is a computer update issue, and the dealer stated that these parts effected are not covered under recall or warranty" I asked if I could talk to someone higher up and she said that this was the highest that I could possibly go. Do you have any contact numbers?
I don't. But she needs to go further back. I wonder if she's new and wasn't there when the first round occurred. Maybe an NHTSA search will help. When I get a chance, I'll try and do some digging. Hell, I'd even try a letter to Mike Manley or Carlos Tevares. Can't hurt!

Was @JeepCares able to provide any help or direction?

Last edited:

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Dan,
JeepCares Contacted.
Here it is:

https://chrysler.oemdtc.com/2122/safety-recall-w12-clutch-pressure-plate-may-overheat-2018-2020-jeep-wrangler-2020-gladiator#:~:text=Recalls-,Safety Recall W12 - Clutch Pressure Plate May Overheat - 2018-,2020 Jeep Wrangler & 2020 Gladiator&text=The overheated clutch components may,the risk of a crash.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCRIT-20V124-1465.pdf

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCLRPT-20V124-8022.PDF

Last edited:

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
It is ridiculous, I think I am going to try to do it myself. It may take all week as I do not know what I am doing. 10 hours of dealer labor quoted? I think not.
Bummer as they already had it apart to take picture of the clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel. It takes less than an hour (with a few smoke breaks) to put a new flywheel, pressure plate, and clutch disc on before you put it back together. I guess we are all on notice..... If your clutch fails out of warranty, DON'T GO TO THE DEALER!!!!

Sponsored

BIGBOYFOY

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Sport
I am smelling the clucth every day and pray it won't fail yet before FCA realize what a piece of garbage this Mopar clutch is and offers us free of charge replacement . I've been complaining to my dealer but their highly trained technician claims all is just fine.
Please read Dan's latest post. It clearly states on the previous recall:

Identification of Any Warning that can Occur : In some circumstances, the operator may smell a burnt clutch odor, or have excessive or abnormal clutch pedal travel prior to the failure.

Print this in size 48 font for your dealer giving you a hard time.

BIGBOYFOY

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Sport
Bummer as they already had it apart to take picture of the clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel. It takes less than an hour (with a few smoke breaks) to put a new flywheel, pressure plate, and clutch disc on before you put it back together. I guess we are all on notice..... If your clutch fails out of warranty, DON'T GO TO THE DEALER!!!!
Ken I assumed this would automatically fall under this recall, I have been on a waitlist for the recall for months. I would have taken it to my trusted mechanic to fix if I thought there was the smallest chance in hell that I would have to pay out of pocket for another clutch problem. I cant comprehend how they think the overheating of my pressure plate is not related to the recall because my jeep did not catch on fire. It seems that the only thing they are authorized to do is upgrade the software and not replace the failed parts.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
Ken I assumed this would automatically fall under this recall, I have been on a waitlist for the recall for months. I would have taken it to my trusted mechanic to fix if I thought there was the smallest chance in hell that I would have to pay out of pocket for another clutch problem. I cant comprehend how they think the overheating of my pressure plate is not related to the recall because my jeep did not catch on fire. It seems that the only thing they are authorized to do is upgrade the software and not replace the failed parts.
I totally agree with you they SHOULD replace it under the recall, and I would completely expect them to be reasonable and "split" it with you or something.

I think they're considering the software upgrade to be something that would prevent catastrophic failure due to driver abuse of the clutch. I'm not saying that is true in your case.

Unfortunately corporations these days care nothing about keeping a customer for the long term. They're concerned with maximizing revenue today, and could give a flip less about tomorrow. It is a function of today's anti-social and impersonal society. I figure the Service Advisor thinks they have you between a rock and a hard place and are going to take full advantage of their perceived position.

Ken Ztopolovky

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2dr stingray stick
I totally agree with you they SHOULD replace it under the recall, and I would completely expect them to be reasonable and "split" it with you or something.

I think they're considering the software upgrade to be something that would prevent catastrophic failure due to driver abuse of the clutch. I'm not saying that is true in your case.

Unfortunately corporations these days care nothing about keeping a customer for the long term. They're concerned with maximizing revenue today, and could give a flip less about tomorrow. It is a function of today's anti-social and impersonal society. I figure the Service Advisor thinks they have you between a rock and a hard place and are going to take full advantage of their perceived position.
well, I decided not to debilitate the engine performance by so called "software upgrade" , to me that's an unacceptable defeat

BIGBOYFOY

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Sport

I agree. As sad as it is.
I make sure to shift between 2,300- 3000 rpms and never ride my clutch. I have never owned an automatic car, and I do not care to.
I took a great sense of personal pride to purchase a new manual Jeep JL outright when they came out. At 23 years old that was my biggest purchase and I was a completely enthusiastic Jeep lifer at that point. On paper, a wrangler is a dream car for my lifestyle, I had immense pride.
The worst thing is that my experience with this clutch and other issues is that it leaves me with a feeling of distain and sickness.
As a marketing expert and loyal consumer, It is just frustrating that Chrysler does not understand that my consumer experience, satisfaction, and loyalty long term is more valuable than a 3k repair. Instead they would rather me spends my days fighting and my money hiring lawyers than resolve this.

Sponsored

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
I agree. As sad as it is.
I make sure to shift between 2,300- 3000 rpms and never ride my clutch. I have never owned an automatic car, and I do not care to.
I took a great sense of personal pride to purchase a new manual Jeep JL outright when they came out. At 23 years old that was my biggest purchase and I was a completely enthusiastic Jeep lifer at that point. On paper, a wrangler is a dream car for my lifestyle, I had immense pride.
The worst thing is that my experience with this clutch and other issues is that it leaves me with a feeling of distain and sickness.
As a marketing expert and loyal consumer, It is just frustrating that Chrysler does not understand that my consumer experience, satisfaction, and loyalty long term is more valuable than a 3k repair. Instead they would rather me spends my days fighting and my money hiring lawyers than resolve this.
Do I have this straight, this is your second clutch?
It is unbelievable that they can claim that the clutch is out of warranty when there is a recall to prevent exactly what happened to you.
If it is not repaired under warranty there is no way in hell I would give any business to that dealer. I would pay a bare minimum for taking it apart and tow it away. In my case ( I can and have the tools to do the job) I would take it home, buy a center force and never look back. In your case, take it to a honest mechanic.
we should all sue and demand new clutches until a new design is provided. The only reason Jeep is getting away with this is because there are too few of us with manuals. If it were an issue with the automatic, with so many of them, the case would have been won already.:angry:

rfm8os

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2022 Cadillac CT-5 V
I brought my JL in for recall work today expecting the Y07 to be done but when I got it back only the V41 was done. I called back and the tech said the Y07 doesn't show as available in their system. On my app on my phone it says that parts are available. The guy at the dealer told me to call back in a few weeks to see if they are ready to do it. Don't know what's going on with it. I guess I am maybe just going to let it go for now.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I brought my JL in for recall work today expecting the Y07 to be done but when I got it back only the V41 was done. I called back and the tech said the Y07 doesn't show as available in their system. On my app on my phone it says that parts are available. The guy at the dealer told me to call back in a few weeks to see if they are ready to do it. Don't know what's going on with it. I guess I am maybe just going to let it go for now.
Sounds like the dealer either didn't check or is somehow not up to date. Mine confirmed it is in the system now. Mine goes in a week from Monday for it.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Sounds like the dealer either didn't check or is somehow not up to date. Mine confirmed it is in the system now. Mine goes in a week from Monday for it.
This is correct, Dan. I just had Y07 installed a few hours ago. I can confirm that:
  1. 2018’s do, indeed, get gear shown in EVIC above the odometer
  2. Absolutely NO difference in performance
I think a person would be foolish to avoid this recall in the name of F.U.D. (I am not excusing Jeep for very poor handling of this problem. I would much prefer a hardware fix, as I’m sure we all would).

Shout out to Fitzpatrick’s in Ansonia, CT. Great people and wonderful service.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
This is correct, Dan. I just had Y07 installed a few hours ago. I can confirm that:
  1. 2018’s do, indeed, get gear shown in EVIC above the odometer
  2. Absolutely NO difference in performance
I think a person would be foolish to avoid this recall in the name of F.U.D. (I am not excusing Jeep for very poor handling of this problem. I would much prefer a hardware fix, as I’m sure we all would).

Shout out to Fitzpatrick’s in Ansonia, CT. Great people and wonderful service.
I agree 100%. Glad to hear those two reports. It matches up to what I was told by Jeep.
Sponsored