Sponsored

A-hole Dealer on the Phone

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKURHR
Has anyone here ever canceled an order because a better deal came along as you waited for the build?
Be better than the dealers you dislike. This will also get you put on the top secret dealer "buyer blacklist" Google Doc that is rumored to exist.
Sponsored

OP
OP
JeepLeap

JeepLeap

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys
Be better than the dealers you dislike. This will also get you put on the top secret dealer "buyer blacklist" Google Doc that is rumored to exist.
Really!!!?? A blacklist Google doc?
So, what do you get a much better offer? Negotiate again when the car arrives?

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
Has anyone here ever canceled an order because a better deal came along as you waited for the build?
Can you do something like that and get away? Absolutely Yes

But should you? I think it depends on situation/market. If the dealership is able to move inventory very quickly because they are very popular in the area I think you can as the dealer will just find another customer rather quickly. But if that is not the case as the dealership is in a tough geography and/or unable to move inventory quickly but are overall not bad folks I think it is unethical as they too have families to feed and the commission from your sale may help them with that. If the dealer is a straight up crook then there is nothing wrong in doing this. Dealers come in a vast variety. Many are your good everyday people like you or me who are trying to make an honest living and have ethics. On the other hand, some are straight up shady and will even sell their mother to make a quick buck.

Regardless of dealer, they may put you in a buyer black list that other Jeep dealers may also see (if one exists).

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Regardless of dealer, they may put you in a buyer black list that other Jeep dealers may also see (if one exists).
There is no such thing. I have friends and family in the business.

Also, as far as backing out on a factory order - what happens depends on each individual dealer. The key thing is to check that your deposit is refundable. Some will easily refund the deposit and others will make you forfeit the deposit. Higher volume dealerships should have no issues with issuing a refund as they'll easily sell the vehicle. Other dealerships may refuse a refund or may refuse to cancel if the vehicle specification is one they can't easily sell.

Sponsored

jeepingmamavt

First Name
Jenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ, 2021 Unlimited Rubicon
Car salespeople are not always the brightest bunch. I just ordered a new truck. I spoke to the salesman at the closest dealer, the one I bought my current truck from a couple years ago. He told me orders were at msrp. I called the next closest. That salesman told me the same but that they couldn't even order '22's yet, which is incorrect. Walked into a third dealer last Saturday and asked them about ordering, same msrp line. I told them I would just order from the closest to home dealer then and began to walk out. He stopped me, went and talked with the manager and offered me an under msrp price. I ordered the truck. The first dealer emailed me yesterday asking if I had any questions and if I was still in the market. I simply told him his competitor offered me a better deal and thanks for the follow up.

They are all feeling their oats right now. The used home market is no different, sellers are being unreasonable because they think they can. Unfortunately, they are getting away with it more often than not these days.
LOL one of the dealerships near me is charging a +3K over MSRP market adjustment. The dealer I ordered from offered me 1250 off MSRP off the bat (I got 1500 off total). Some of these dealers are awful full of themselves. I can drive my sh*tbox for a while longer if you're going to be a dick.

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR , 2017 Ram 2500, 1990 YJ
My sales manager just takes like 9 minutes to quote something out, him and computers don't work well together. So I have to call people back with the price, but it's really not an issue. Text, email, over the phone, however you'd like to be contacted works for me.

I've also never heard of Four Squaring someone, sounds miserable.

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
Do you "need" the car/jeep/truck? That's blood in the water for a lot of shitty salesmen.

I almost walked from my last new purchase over a $200ish dollar change. They were like "you waited 4 months, don't you really really want this?" I said, "you changed terms, and yes...I want it at original terms. Or, I will be cutting my name off that window sticker, explain that while you try to sell it".

I ended up with a new Rubi instead of a two year old one because of stupid reseale prices. Same reason I got my TJ new. Jeeps are strange that way.

Sponsored

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
LOL one of the dealerships near me is charging a +3K over MSRP market adjustment. The dealer I ordered from offered me 1250 off MSRP off the bat (I got 1500 off total). Some of these dealers are awful full of themselves. I can drive my sh*tbox for a while longer if you're going to be a dick.
The game is real. Having never leased a vehicle like the OP is trying to do, I don't have any advice for how to get it done. However I have owned over 100 vehicles, I change them like underwear when I can (2 new ones this year). My Dad was in the car business for 30 years. I pretty much understand the process going in.

We got ~1200 off on our ordered Rubi in May. I am sure I could have done better elsewhere but buying it as close as possible was a goal, and something I was willing to pay a little extra for. Sold my trade for $3000 more than they offered me.

Since nobody has or can get Super Duty trucks right now I am paying too much for that privilege this time. I went to the nearest larger town and took my beating. I really need to get my old one replaced though. Not sure if I am trading on this deal. I will decide in a few months when/if the new one shows up.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
The game is real. Having never leased a vehicle like the OP is trying to do, I don't have any advice for how to get it done. However I have owned over 100 vehicles, I change them like underwear when I can (2 new ones this year). My Dad was in the car business for 30 years. I pretty much understand the process going in.

We got ~1200 off on our ordered Rubi in May. I am sure I could have done better elsewhere but buying it as close as possible was a goal, and something I was willing to pay a little extra for. Sold my trade for $3000 more than they offered me.

Since nobody has or can get Super Duty trucks right now I am paying too much for that privilege this time. I went to the nearest larger town and took my beating. I really need to get my old one replaced though. Not sure if I am trading on this deal. I will decide in a few months when/if the new one shows up.
Do you have FCA affiliate? If not, join tread lightly for $100/yr. It will get you affiliate access for 1% under invoice for two vehicles per year.

With this crazy time, not every dealer will honor it, but you should be able to find one who will. One of my coworkers picked up a Ram 2500 last month with it, off the lot 1% under invoice.

It's less on the Jeeps than the trucks. My 22 1500 will be 8.5% under MSRP before rebates, and the JLURe 5.4% under MSRP before rebates and Fed Tax Credit. I ordered both, so rebates will be based on delivery date.

It takes 30 days for tread lightly to turn on, you can join now and bring the certificate with you when you finalize the deal and see if they'll bite.

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
Do you have FCA affiliate? If not, join tread lightly for $100/yr. It will get you affiliate access for 1% under invoice for two vehicles per year.

With this crazy time, not every dealer will honor it, but you should be able to find one who will. One of my coworkers picked up a Ram 2500 last month with it, off the lot 1% under invoice.

It's less on the Jeeps than the trucks. My 22 1500 will be 8.5% under MSRP before rebates, and the JLURe 5.4% under MSRP before rebates and Fed Tax Credit. I ordered both, so rebates will be based on delivery date.

It takes 30 days for tread lightly to turn on, you can join now and bring the certificate with you when you finalize the deal and see if they'll bite.
Thanks but honestly I am not a big fan of FCA products. I probably would have pushed the Bronco hard if it had actually been available and the Ram trucks aren't offered the way I want one. Sounds like a great program though. Getting under invoice like that would have been nice on the Jeep!

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Thanks but honestly I am not a big fan of FCA products. I probably would have pushed the Bronco hard if it had actually been available and the Ram trucks aren't offered the way I want one. Sounds like a great program though. Getting under invoice like that would have been nice on the Jeep!
There are a couple programs for the different manufacturers. If you're doing Ford, I think it's a mustang club IIRC.

Edit: https://mustang.org/about/benefits/

MJKid88

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Occupation
HVAC
Make sure you go on the edmunds lease forums and find out the RV and MF in your zip. That way they can't try to pad the numbers in a four square.

leasehackr has a great calculator that can build the deal for you, just don't show them the print out, cause first rule of leasehackr....

If you don't have affiliate through work, sign up for Tread Lightly today, takes 30 days to activiate.
Matt, when you use Edmunds to find out the MF & RV for your zip, would I use my zip in MA or the zip from the dealer that I'm leasing from? I ordered from Gupton in TN.

Thanks, Rob
Sponsored