First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Four square. That’s why they wont deal on the phone. No better four square play than on a lease.
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Security CJDR in Amityville
Security and Westbury have the same owner. Stay away from both.

I highly recommend Empire CJDR in West Islip.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Four square. That’s why they wont deal on the phone. No better four square play than on a lease.
When I got my last Ram the dealer tried it. Inflated the monthly lease number 50% on the four square. Went down pretty quick when I told them the correct MF and RV and asked them to check their numbers.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Anyone ever encounter a salesman who refused to give a quote over the phone?

Just reached out to a dealer in the NY area who has 4xe’s in stock and seemingly low prices on them at least according to their lease calculator... I currently have an order for a Willys but have been seeing some competitive prices on 4xe’s so wanted to see how they compare... Anyway, he said they are “selling like hot cakes” so they don’t need to give quotes over the phone!?! And he basically laughed at me when I said he might be losing a sale.

I live over an hour away so was hoping to get a price since I am not going in not having any idea on pricing.
Yeah. that's a huge red flag.

Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Man I've bought a lot of cars and I've literally never run into "four square" -- then again, I've always done my research so maybe they just figured it wouldn't work.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What is Four Square?
There's quite a few articles online about it, but it's a piece of paper divided into four squares that represent: purchase price, trade price, down payment, monthly payment. They give no other information than that. If I ever saw a piece of paper like that I'd throw it in their face, since you can't just get to a monthly payment without other information, so it would be immediately obvious to me what they were doing. I'd probably just walk out at that point.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Man I've bought a lot of cars and I've literally never run into "four square" -- then again, I've always done my research so maybe they just figured it wouldn't work.
They only really do it with their own financing. If you bring cash or a credit union loan, it doesn't work.

Last edited:

Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They only really do it with they're own financing. If you bring cash or a credit union loan, it doesn't work.
Yeah, I'm generally just too informed of a consumer for this to work and they probably know that within 30 seconds of talking to me. I never pay cash, but I always bring my financing. I'm sure it works on people all the time.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
What is Four Square?
Just like described above. Also, even if you get roped into one of these you can walk away at anytime. Yes, even after all of the stupid little signings and initials to "buy today at this price" you have no obligation to buy. The last dealer that started that with me, I walked out of. I won't play games like that, and told them so.

Now, once you are in the finance office and start to sign actual documents that's when things get serious. Know your numbers before you go in.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

^^This…except email multiple dealerships, let them fight for your business
That's what I did. Figured out the options/build that I wanted, and I knew the MSRP and FWP price on that build.

Emailed the build (without the $$) to 8 dealers (4 local, 4 out of state) and just said, "I'm ready to place this order within the week. What would you be able to order this for?"

Got 4 responses (all out of state, naturally). Went with Gupton because he was the quickest to respond, closest, and best offer. I *did* actually do a test drive at a local dealer the day before I ordered. Told him I'm ready to order, but I have a written offer from an out of state dealer for 8% below invoice. If he could match that or come close, I'd order right then. About an hour later I got a reply from the New Car Sales Director of the dealership, told me politely that if I had that offer in writing, I should jump on it because there was no way he'd be able to even come close.

So I called Daniel @ Gupton and my JLUSA should be delivered today/tomorrow. :)

OP
OP
JeepLeap

JeepLeap

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys
Has anyone here ever canceled an order because a better deal came along as you waited for the build?
Sponsored