flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
OK, thanks. That's what I thought, but the equipment explanations on Jeep's website are sparse at best...at least for people who want to know this sort of stuff!
Sponsored

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Third JL, first eTorque engine. Itā€™s a great improvement. Iā€™m not annoyed at the stop light now. :)

Jeep Wrangler JL 3.6L V6 24V VVT eTorque Engine vs. 3.6L V6 24V VVT Engine Upg I With Start Stop CAFD2670-C8A5-4010-A41F-2FB799ECBDEA

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
BTW you can now order the 3.6L V6 with ESS and the automatic transmission according to the May Order Guide. (It isn't available on the Rubicon though) It saves $1000 over etorque.

I have the 3.6 etorque and share the same sentiment in this thread about the start stop smoothness

Jeepnutz

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon XR
So what I'm taking away from this thread is that for those of us who mainly use our JL's for low range trail use with the ESS disabled and avoid stop and go freeway driving at all costs, the e-torque is just a paper weight that does nothing. I'm I correct or did I miss something?

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
So what I'm taking away from this thread is that for those of us who mainly use our JL's for low range trail use with the ESS disabled and avoid stop and go freeway driving at all costs, the e-torque is just a paper weight that does nothing. I'm I correct or did I miss something?
Its an awesome paperweight. :)

Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
It assists in rpm matching on downshifts and loss of driveline power in between shifts if I recall the Ram ETorque video correctly. Otherwise it very well might be similar or the same as not having it. 2019oceanblue figured out a way to tap into that lithium battery though. That might be a redeeming quality for those who have the electrical savvy to take advantage.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Living with just the 3.6 with no e-torque, I love it. But I think you'd have to talk to someone who has spent significant time in both, in a variety of driving profiles, before making a final judgement.

The E-torque 3.6 combo made Ward's 10 Best engines in the world list. That's a VERY prestigious list and it would have to show some significant benefits, at least in some profiles, to earn that spot.

Btw, that was the latest in several appearances the 3.6 has made on that list. I think it is a world class engine in any configuration.

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
An awesome $1750 paperweight?;)
Depends on how you look at it. My 2021 JLUR has eTorque and it fixed the ESS annoyances, I'm a happy camper.

Sponsored

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

12,000 miles into mine and it has worked flawlessly. I can only compare it to my wife's 5.7 Grand Cherokee and my BMW. The start/stop is much, much smoother than both of those. I turn it off in both of the other vehicles and I don't even notice the transition with the 3.6L. The downside is that it may make adding a supercharger or some other items tougher because there is a lot of extra plumbing under the hood. I wanted to use the on board air York kit that is out there and it would not work, same with the under hood ARB mount. I also am having a bit of trouble with the Metalcloak full skid system as the rear driveshaft is rubbing the battery skid...

MillsRubicon

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon JL V6 ā€œNON ETORQUE!ā€
Couple options on disabling the ESS . One you can unplug the Right side hood open plunger detector or you can get a plug and play module that disables it for $120 . Iā€™d rather have no Etorque and just disable the ESS . That $1500 battery hanging underneath the Jeep with exposed coolant lines going back and forth seems like a recipe for disaster . Hereā€™s the link to the ESS eliminator . https://www.autostopeliminator.com/...cts/2018-jeep-wrangler-jl-autostop-eliminator

6779F2F3-143E-4E0B-AD70-4E61CF3002AA.jpeg

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
Couple options on disabling the ESS . One you can unplug the Right side hood open plunger detector or you can get a plug and play module that disables it for $120 . Iā€™d rather have no Etorque and just disable the ESS . That $1500 battery hanging underneath the Jeep with exposed coolant lines going back and forth seems like a recipe for disaster . Hereā€™s the link to the ESS eliminator . https://www.autostopeliminator.com/...cts/2018-jeep-wrangler-jl-autostop-eliminator
It's currently $1046, but even the 2018s still have 5 years left on their warranty. Also the transmission lines are far more exposed than the battery coolant lines.

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

Jeep Wrangler JL 3.6L V6 24V VVT eTorque Engine vs. 3.6L V6 24V VVT Engine Upg I With Start Stop 6779F2F3-143E-4E0B-AD70-4E61CF3002AA
The ESS eliminator appears to be just for the non eTorque models with the regular start stop. I am not aware of a kit to eliminate the entire eTorque system yet. I was very weary of the eTorque system to begin with but don't even notice it when it is on. I imagine at some point there will be a way to take everything out if someone was that against having it on their vehicle. With the skid plate system on, none of the lines are exposed. The only reason I will mess with mine is if I put on a supercharger or swap in a hemi. Right now, with the 5.13's, I don't feel the need for either.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
If that's the case, then it is disappointing. I don't like the ESS for the wear it puts on the engine and the added complexity would be worth it to me only if it added that 90ft lbs of torque just a little longer than half a wheel turn. The cost/benefit just doesn't work out for me, if that is indeed how it functions. Just my 2 cents. It doesn't matter, anyway, since I'm a big fan of the manual transmission, anyway.

The ESS actually works ok in the manual. I just don't like the wear it causes. Of note, for those worried: They did put a coating on pistons and wear parts in the PUG Pentastar and likely the 2.0, as well, to mitigate the wear of all those starts. But the jury is out on how well it protects. Time will tell. I hope it does. Because that means mine will go that much longer because I don't use the ESS. They also did beef up the starter in the non E-torque version I have. So without so many cycles, that starter will probably live longer than me.

We'll see how real world feeback looks, though. I'll reserve a final opinion until I hear from someone who buys one and drives it a bit. They'll tell the story.
I disable ESS immediately after starting my manual 2019 JLUR. I did have to replace my aux battery at 50,000 at a cost of $120. It took about 30 minutes to remove the passenger side front fender, pull the bad aux battery, transfer the posts using a 4 mm Allen head, replace the battery and reattach the front fender. Long-term plan is to switch to the Genesis dual battery system and put the golf cart battery behind me.

The 48V PowerPack can be bought for just under $1,100 instead of the $1,585 list price. The 3.6 V6 had the option for the BSG (e-torque) if you purchased the 8-speed auto, but if you choose the 6-speed manual only the non-e-torque 3.6 V6 is available. The Genesis dual battery system and batteries would be about the same as replacing the 48V battery.
Sponsored