Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Ford is suffering the most during this chip shortage. They planned poorly.

Toyota planned for the chip shortage much better most other car companies. They only have shortages for a few models. The Sienna minivan is one model Toyota has a shortage on. I went with a friend to buy a Sienna a few weeks ago. The dealer had a $10K ADM on a damn minivan! I advised my friend to sell his Crosstrek now for top dollar and to share his second car with his wife until prices return to normal.
whats funny is they say that the mini van market is dying but here we are with adms on them lol. We’re about two weeks away from receiving our new Pacifica plug in hybrid. Luckily got it at msrp, minus various discounts.
Sponsored

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Broncos on the horizon? I'll believe it when I see it. I have seen a couple Bronco Sports, but they're rare in these parts. The reason I'm driving a 2021 Wrangler is entirely because the Ford dealership couldn't even promise delivery within 18 months back in February. Received my JL80A in 6 weeks. My stepdaughter ordered a Bronco Badlands in February and still has no info on delivery.

I really hope Ford comes through and that the Bronco is a success. Having two capable vehicles in this market segment can only enhance development of both.
Dealers in Maryland currently have Broncos on their lots.

https://www.leonardtownford.com/new-Leonardtown-2021-Ford-Bronco-Outer+Banks-1FMEE5DP3MLA63041

https://www.hertrichfordeaston.com/new-inventory/index.htm?gvModel=Bronco

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
Yes, that part I get. Also that owning a cell phone is a lot cheaper than owning a car.

But at the end of the day there’s only so much one can live through social media. At some point, one has to get out and live real life.
Having a couple of teenagers under my roof, I haven't lost all hope ... yet.

My daughter just started driving, so is now getting into cars and appreciates what she is currently driving. She would really, really love to be driving a wrangler btw - but I didn't think it was a good mix for a new driver. She really wants to learn to drive stick - however I don't have a suitable car to teach her on so will probably rent one to be the victim - ha.

Also has a job now, and was very interested in this tax thing that was deducted from her paycheck and understanding that. Also happy to know she'd get it back when we did her tax return together.

She's super opiniated on certain topics that are important to her (and politics). I encourage it and challenge her, and expect those views will change as she experiences more of life. For example our tax discussion.

I think there is a natural progression for all generations - as they get to experience life.

The reason why I quoted you is this social media part - it drives me nuts how much they spend consumed with it and how it can impact them mentally. She's getting better at it though and now spends a lot less time on it. But the point I wanted to make is that there is a generational difference as to how the kids view their world. For us there is a distinction between living your life and being online, for them there is no distinction at all between IRL (in real life) and the online world - there really isn't - it's one in the same for them and if one can comprehend that (not sure I do fully yet) - it explains a lot about how they operate.

Anyway, where were we - Broncos - I'll believe it when I see it (and not the sports) ;)

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Hmmm…

in the end, he’s just another paying customer getting exactly what he wanted. Cant fault him for JUST THAT, now can we??? (rhetorical)
More like:
a) What he could afford
b) What was available

This is like saying a person who bought an older house with a 75 miles commute from work got exactly what he wanted. No. He simply couldn't find a newer house, closer to work, that he could afford.

I'm happy for Tommy. He got a nice Jeep that made sense for him. But I doubt that that is the true extent of his "wants".

EJWF11

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
More like:
a) What he could afford
b) What was available

This is like saying a person who bought an older house with a 75 miles commute from work got exactly what he wanted. No. He simply couldn't find a newer house, closer to work, that he could afford.

I'm happy for Tommy. He got a nice Jeep that made sense for him. But I doubt that that is the true extent of his "wants".
Maybe…. We should ask him!!! 👍🏼

Sponsored

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

More like:
a) What he could afford
b) What was available

as much as they offroad on TFL, in CO of all places, i would have thought he would have bought a rubicon to get the lockers and transfer case, etc... maybe he's planning on adding those mods himself. or, maybe he feels the willys can handle what he does in stock form. im surprised he didnt touch on that in his video. of course cost is a factor as well.

jbcrane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21.JLU.6MT.GCM.35.4.88.ZEON12
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technical/Indstrial 3D Animator
Vehicle Showcase
Really nice video on Tommy from TFL's thought process that resulted in him ordering a Wrangler as his first ever vehicle purchase.

A good, comprehensive summary based on fact and personal preference. I test drove a Bronco Sport (and a Ranger pickup and Toyota 4-Runner TRD Offroad) before buying my Wrangler Unlimited Sport S this past April. Each of those vehicles had strengths. I wanted to love the Bronco - I liked its look and overall vibe. But I buy my cars for the long haul (last one went 252K miles) and it just didn't feel like the Bronco was going to be the lifetime car the Wrangler will be. As he mentioned in the video, one of my concerns was the first model year of the Bronco, vs. all they've learned in 80 years building the Jeep, with the JL being in year 4 production. The Wrangler did feel a little snug inside at first (compared to my last car), but still with plenty of room. But now I find it cozy. And there is so much you do to your Jeep, inside and out... it's a blast to outfit it exactly for how you'll be using it. After only about 3 months since buying my Wrangler I can't imagine driving anything else. BTW, new member here, first post. Greetings everyone.

mvandergrift

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sport
I just watched the ENTIRE 21 min video. Worth the watch.

Anyway, my takes from a 2020, 2 Door Sport owner and a daughter with a 2021 2 door Willys.

1. I am glad I got the keyless entry, that would bug me every time I unlocked my door and reaching across to unlock the passenger door.

2. The Willys package is a great package, my daughter has one. Has a few extra things over my Sport S, I guess that is what the aftermarket is for.

3. I like having CarPlay with Gaia. Although I never get lost, at least until I am out of gas.

4. Some days I wish I got a manual, most days I am very happy with the automatic.

All and all I am happy with my Jeep, and I am sure that he will be happy with his. With the exception of the manual door locks. I am sure there will be a video about that soone.
As a Sport S owner (w/tech/cold/tow packages), I have pretty much the same exact feelings. I do wish I had those black aluminum wheels and the HD brakes/suspension though.

And thank you for reminding me to re-enable Gaia on Carplay. I do get lost...

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
More like:
a) What he could afford
b) What was available

Perhaps he doesn’t have many other “wants” given that he gets to drive whatever he wants through his line of work.

He seems genuinely content with the mindset that “less is more.”

I find that refreshing in today’s world.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Having a couple of teenagers under my roof...

... there is a generational difference as to how the kids view their world. For us there is a distinction between living your life and being online, for them there is no distinction at all between IRL (in real life) and the online world - there really isn't - it's one in the same for them ...;)
Found that quite interesting.

Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
as much as they offroad on TFL, in CO of all places, i would have thought he would have bought a rubicon to get the lockers and transfer case, etc... maybe he's planning on adding those mods himself. or, maybe he feels the willys can handle what he does in stock form. im surprised he didnt touch on that in his video. of course cost is a factor as well.
TFL is one of the first ones to say you don't necessarily need the extra features of the Rubicon. They're nice to have but 98% of the time you can do without them. Lo and behold, he buys a Willys. Exactly the trim level he recommends for most bang for the buck. The guy is practicing what he preaches.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
They cannot. A friend has a March 2021 reservation and is being told "summer 2022." And even that keeps changing.
I have a December timestamp Bronco reservation, and I am being told mid 2022 as well. Part of that is due to options I selected, but most is just due to how backed up they are and due to parts shortages. My 2021 JLUR Diesel should be built by end of this month so Ill have a year to decide if I keep this Rubicon, or sell it and take delivery of my Bronco. I have already had 3 JLURs, so I have a pretty good idea of the ownership part of a wrangler, the question will be how the Eco-Diesel holds up. I have a feeling I will just keep the wrangler, but wanted options.

OP
OP
Speed331

Speed331

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jetta, 2018 Discovery Sport, 2020 Wrangler Sport S (on order)
TFL is one of the first ones to say you don't necessarily need the extra features of the Rubicon. They're nice to have but 98% of the time you can do without them. Lo and behold, he buys a Willys. Exactly the trim level he recommends for most bang for the buck. The guy is practicing what he preaches.
This. While lockers themselves are not overrated - they are a fantastic piece of gear - the need for them is greatly overrated. A stock sport , willys, sport s can do more than most people will be willing to attempt. The BLD works amazingly well and combined with a LSD will get you over some knarly stuff.
Example (this is a stock 2011 JK sport. The JL is even more capable):

Erranickus

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'98 TJ (sold), '21 JL Willys Sport
Occupation
USAF Retired
Actually, I ordered the same thing Willys Sport, soft top, manual, 3.6, only in Chief Clearcoat, April 22nd and still waiting for it. Was just told on July 3rd it's scheduled to be at railhead on the 7/7. So it'll be pushing 11-12 weeks by the time I get it, hopefully. I drove my TJ for 17 yrs in FL and MO. Chomping at the bit.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Perhaps he doesn’t have many other “wants” given that he gets to drive whatever he wants through his line of work.

He seems genuinely content with the mindset that “less is more.”

I find that refreshing in today’s world.
I found it strange that he actually decided to buy a personal vehicle. They have so many long term vehicles through the company and loaners from manufacturers.
Sponsored