Spare tire bike rack for more than TWO BIKES

mattcarvette

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 392
I just took delivery on my 392. I've been looking for a spare tire bike rack that can hold my bike and my two kids' bikes. It seems from my research that the spare tire bike racks max out at two bikes. Anything more than that requires a hitch-mounted rack. I'm guessing this is due to weight issues on the tailgate. That said, kids bikes don't weigh very much.
Has anyone seen what I'm looking for out on the market?
Sponsored

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
I just took delivery on my 392. I've been looking for a spare tire bike rack that can hold my bike and my two kids' bikes. It seems from my research that the spare tire bike racks max out at two bikes. Anything more than that requires a hitch-mounted rack. I'm guessing this is due to weight issues on the tailgate. That said, kids bikes don't weigh very much.
Has anyone seen what I'm looking for out on the market?
I looked for same about a year ago and came up empty. You may want to ask the regular JL group to get more visibility for your question. Perhaps someone has seen something.

TaZ_65

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Any particular reason to avoid a hitch mounted rack? I like my Thule tray style. 1Up is another good option.

OP
OP

mattcarvette

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 392
Any particular reason to avoid a hitch mounted rack? I like my Thule tray style. One Up is another good option.
I want to be able to leave the rack on the jeep and still be able to open the tailgate without a hassle.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
There are some issues with tire mount bike racks on our JLs. One is compatibility with the 3rd brake light (doesn't block it) and weight capacity unless you're running a reinforced spare tire mount.

For these reasons, most of us run hitch mount.
Sponsored