Sponsored

So what are the hidden options you get when you upgrade? I.e. Infotainment gets better windshield...

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
The vents on the Rubicon are only cosmetic. if you want real vents you woul have to have them cut in or replace with a different hood.
@Grimm_E

You are very wrong on this!

FACT is, both vents on the 2018 Rubicon JL/JLU are indeed functional.

The side vents are open and have little to no air flow restriction.

The hood vent is also open and fully functional open. It opens to a little catch tray that is fashioned in such a way that water will channel / flow thru to the backside of the hood. Yes, the water has to flow through the hood vent and then it seeps through that hood insulation, into the channel passage way and to the backside of the hood. And yes, the hood insulation does impair air flow a bit thru the hood vent but again, that hood vent is functional.

Sponsored

Last edited:

Ohwillyb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ 2019 2DR JL Hellayella Rubicon (ORDERED 9/12/18)
Vehicle Showcase
That is not what the designer said. He said every vent is "functional". Now, probably some room to argue what constitutes functional. But he said everything on the Wrangler is real.
The vents keep the hood from jumping when you're on a two lane road from on coming traffic.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
The vents keep the hood from jumping when you're on a two lane road from on coming traffic.
It could also be that their function is looking bad-ass.

RisingEagle

First Name
Armond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 4DR Ocean Blue Rubicon
one other feature included with the tow package is the 4 aux switches in the console (in addition to the larger alternator / battery).

you can add the aux switches later (just order through Mopar) but they are included w/ tow package

Grimm_E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
@Grimm_E

The hood vent is also open and fully functional open. It opens to a little catch tray that is fashioned in such a way that water will channel / flow thru to the backside of the hood. Yes, the water has to flow through the hood vent and then it seeps through that hood insulation, into the channel passage way and to the backside of the hood. And yes, the hood insulation does impair air flow a bit thru the hood vent but again, that hood vent is functional.

I stand corrected it felt like metal under there. I will check again with a keener eye next time,

Sponsored

Jolonghorn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
@Grimm_E

I've casually looked at my JLUR to see if they are functional but did not investigate in detail. Thanks for this information; I'll have to look again.

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
I stand corrected it felt like metal under there. I will check again with a keener eye next time,
@Grimm_E
@Jolonghorn

Can tell you that I initially thought as you guys, that the hood vent was just for looks and was not actually vented.

I did lots of Googling in order to come up with info to prove myself wrong. So, you were like me, wrong.. What really matters is that yes, the hood is vented as well as there being side vents.

Thanks to these vents, I we / can drive a Wrangler down the interstate at 70 mph, and not have the friggin hood jumping up and down and trying to break free..

Grimm_E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
It could also be that their function is looking bad-ass.
Exactly. I will look again but they don't seem functional compared to some of my friends' after market jk hoods.

BumpyTrail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock
That is not what the designer said. He said every vent is "functional". Now, probably some room to argue what constitutes functional. But he said everything on the Wrangler is real.
I would love to know “what constitutes functional” as well! Haha. How can the hood vents on the Rubicon be “functional” when there is a thermal/acoustic pad attached to the underside of the hood? So the pad prevents heat loss and provides a barrier for air flow! Does Jeep want us to remove the hood pad to make it functional?

Now I consider the Moab Concept J-Wagon hood “functional” (and possibly available from Jeep Performance Parts sometime soon)!
06776C92-6C91-4B34-AE33-AE34CAC3EC7C.jpeg
18686D8C-E977-4BC8-8831-F625C36F19B3.jpeg

Sponsored

MikeinMD

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Convertible, 2003 Z71 Suburban, 2018 JLU Sahara
Yes, I also would like to know about the windshield and if this is with the 7" and/or 8.4" system.
I have the 7" and noticed yesterday that I have the Acoustic glass.

BumpyTrail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the 7" and noticed yesterday that I have the Acoustic glass.
I think the consensus is the acoustic glass is included with the Premium Alpine System. The 8.4” Infotainment package includes the premium alpine system so all 8.4” displays should have acoustic glass. If you have a Sport (S) and can only get the 7” display then you would have to add the premium Alpine system separately to get the glass. Did you order the Premium Alpine System?

MikeinMD

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Convertible, 2003 Z71 Suburban, 2018 JLU Sahara
I think the consensus is the acoustic glass is included with the Premium Alpine System. The 8.4” Infotainment package includes the premium alpine system so all 8.4” displays should have acoustic glass. If you have a Sport (S) and can only get the 7” display then you would have to add the premium Alpine system separately to get the glass. Did you order the Premium Alpine System?
7" non-Alpine stereo on a JLU Sahara.

BumpyTrail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
7" non-Alpine stereo on a JLU Sahara.
Well... That throws a monkey wrench in the mix!

“Life is funny isn’t it? Just when you think you’ve got it all figured out,
just when you finally begin to plan something, get excited about something,
and feel like you know what direction you’re heading in, the paths change,
the signs change, the wind blows the other way, north is suddenly south, and
east is west, and you’re lost. It is so easy to lose your way, to lose direction.
And that’s with following all the signposts”

― Cecelia Ahern

smuddy

First Name
shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
You tell the glass people you must have the OEM "acoustic" glass windshield for the 2018 Wrangler JL. Here is a pic of that OEM windshield which has has the part#, etc. on it.
JLacoustical glass.JPG
I'm really looking forward to my first of many JLUR windshield replacements!
Here's what I tell people
"What? You've never had a windshield replacement? Oh, it's a Jeep thing. You wouldn't understand..."
Sponsored