Sponsored

84jeepjohn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 JLUR 392, 84 CJ7, 2005 Z71 Burb
Has anyone been able to order 4.88 gears? Will that be available with an automatic or manual only?
4.88 are manual only. Hope only for now. Would love to be able to spec 4.88 since I want 37’s
Sponsored

zdr

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon V6 6-Speed Manual
So is the 4.88 option only available with a manual transmission? Will the 392 be getting the 4.88 option or is that only for a rubicon? The 392 doesn’t even come with 4.10 so the jump for an optional 4.56 or 4.88 seems Xtreme *pun intended
Can you give a quick explanation of the difference from 4.56 to 4.88? Thanks!

Comac90

First Name
Teak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392XR
Can you give a quick explanation of the difference from 4.56 to 4.88? Thanks!
It’s the ring and pinion gear ratio. Lots of YouTube videos you can search to learn the specifics. The higher the number, the lower the gear. The 392 comes with 3.73s. The recon pkg gives 4.56s for the auto and 4.88s for the manual (but not for the 392 since it doesn’t come with a manual).

Lowering gears multiples your torque at the wheels which improves your crawl ratio, improves the benefits of compression braking, helps compensate for larger tires, etc … but, all things equal, lower gears are weaker and the higher torque numbers at the wheels increase the risk of braking an axle or ring and pinion.

lot more too it, but that’s a quick fly by … I’m sure others can add. Or, again, lots of educational videos on YouTube.

Last edited:

ekim

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ
4.88 are manual only. Hope only for now. Would love to be able to spec 4.88 since I want 37’s
Do you have a ref for that?

I was hoping for 4.88 and a 4 cylinder. It seems like a perfectly reasonable configuration....

Sponsored

84jeepjohn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 JLUR 392, 84 CJ7, 2005 Z71 Burb
I think the wording is poor. Cause it does sound like you could get the 4.88 with the auto. But doubt it.

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Sam’s Decorative Automotive Button Emporium
I had wanted to do this as well, I got crapped on for the idea as well.
Jeep Wrangler JL Official: New Jeep Wrangler Xtreme Recon Package Announced. Will Debut at Chicago Auto Show D6B4FB4A-B5F1-4A9B-8D9C-3FB10D686BC9
Is that your graphic and signature?
if so, have you shared it DIRECTLY to Stellantis? If not, you definitely should.

BucketoKarma

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Silverado, 2000 TJ, 2006 Outback
Is that your graphic and signature?
if so, have you shared it DIRECTLY to Stellantis? If not, you definitely should.
yes it is… no, I have not. I have posted it to social media with Jeep tagged before I got off social media, but figured it was a lost cause when everyone clapped back at the idea.

Bubalooie

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ram longhorn 3500 2018 Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
Pipeline Inspector
I have a Ph.D. in armchair quarterbacking, though the Ph.D. is more of an honorary title.
I think a Ph.D is built on a BS degree; I think the BS degree stands for bullshit and the Ph.D stands for pile higher and deeper.

Sponsored

galleywinter

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Hard Rock JKU, 2018 JL Rubi, 2020 Mercedes GLC 300(Wife) :-)
Occupation
Environmental Manager, VA Hospital
Now I didn't look thru all 22 pages to see if these have been posted yet. I quit looking after 6 :) I'll come back and delete if it's already been shared. Spy pics from an article back in May when Xtreme recon was just a rumor. I remember the link being posted somewhere on JL Forums. Couldn't find it. (Photo credit to Mopar Insider)
Been trying to find some pics of what the set up will look like. The press release pic of the 392 isn't a good example. It's BA but. This is all I could find. I guess we'll see in a few days in Chicago. Ordered yesterday......
Jeep Wrangler JL Official: New Jeep Wrangler Xtreme Recon Package Announced. Will Debut at Chicago Auto Show 2022-Jeep-Wrangler-Big-Tire-1
Jeep Wrangler JL Official: New Jeep Wrangler Xtreme Recon Package Announced. Will Debut at Chicago Auto Show 2022-Jeep-Wrangler-Big-Tire-2 (1)

SirDapperDom

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ Wrangler Sport, 1990 240sx Hatch
Now I didn't look thru all 22 pages to see if these have been posted yet. I quit looking after 6 :) I'll come back and delete if it's already been shared. Spy pics from an article back in May when Xtreme recon was just a rumor. I remember the link being posted somewhere on JL Forums. Couldn't find it. (Photo credit to Mopar Insider)
Been trying to find some pics of what the set up will look like. The press release pic of the 392 isn't a good example. It's BA but. This is all I could find. I guess we'll see in a few days in Chicago. Ordered yesterday......
FINALLY someone found pictures that aren't staged photos of the 392 only. I've been looking for this for a week. Hats off to you.

GGspartan318

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac G6
What color are the rims for the Xtreme Recon package? It looks like they are a combination of bronze and black based on the 392 images, but I was really hoping for all black on a regular rubicon like the photos above. Does anyone have better images of the sting gray wrangler at the auto show?

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
What color are the rims for the Xtreme Recon package? It looks like they are a combination of bronze and black based on the 392 images, but I was really hoping for all black on a regular rubicon like the photos above. Does anyone have better images of the sting gray wrangler at the auto show?
I’m reading the 392s will be bronze and all others black.

galleywinter

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Hard Rock JKU, 2018 JL Rubi, 2020 Mercedes GLC 300(Wife) :-)
Occupation
Environmental Manager, VA Hospital
Me too. Ordered White JLRU with XR. Hoping for Black. First world problems I guess :)
Sponsored