Sponsored

How did you decide on your engine?

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
No, etorque electric takeoff assist cuts out at 1800 rpm, if memory serves. The 3.6 doesn't wake up until twice that rpm.
Driving up the mountains with the family loaded in, and 300 lbs of crap in the back reminded me just how bad that engine sucks wind. Completely gutless below 3000 RPM.

I drive a manual with 35s and 4.88 gears, but had to keep it in 4th for most of the drive up, and wind it out to maintain momentum.
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Driving up the mountains with the family loaded in, and 300 lbs of crap in the back reminded me just how bad that engine sucks wind. Completely gutless below 3000 RPM.

I drive a manual with 35s and 4.88 gears, but had to keep it in 4th for most of the drive up, and wind it out to maintain momentum.
The increased torque of the 2.0 vs 3.6 is also very obvious at sea level on long Island. I'm at over 4" of lift with 38x13.5's, and feel no immediate need for a regear. Still plenty of pep off the line and I see 8th all the time with the factory 4.10's.

nowandthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 1989 Toyota standard cab pickup
The increased torque of the 2.0 vs 3.6 is also very obvious at sea level on long Island. I'm at over 4" of lift with 38x13.5's, and feel no immediate need for a regear. Still plenty of pep off the line and I see 8th all the time with the factory 4.10's.
That's impressive! Do you experience turbo lag?

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
Yes, a Pentastar inline 6 twin turbo has been rumored to be in development since 2018. The rumors say that the Pentastar 3.6 V6 did not respond well to turbo charging, and so they set out to develop an all new inline 6 twin turbo to eventually replace the 3.6 V6.

Whether or not we will ever see it in the Wrangler would be pure speculation. But if they do indeed release the motor, I don't see why not. The engine is rumored to be short enough to fit a wide variety of vehicles.

It was supposed to be released for 2022 or 2023. But we'll see.
They have been developing the 3.0 in-line six turbo for a long while now. It was rumored it would replace the 5.7. It follows the rationale that with .5 liters per cylinder you just need to extend the crank cam and block. It would probably fit but the last cylinder would be tucked into a revised firewall

TriumphJeepster

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Hopefully
I gotta say, after driving a 2.0 for the first time today (2018 4dr sahara) I was underwhelmed. Had 30k on it and was a dog unless I romped on it. I wonder if it wasn't running right?

I wanted to like it, now I am leaning back towards the 3.6 manual even with all the clutch issues ongoing. Sucks only getting those 2 in the 2 dr to choose from.

Sponsored

Sparty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Sold) 04 TJ, 21 JTR, 21 JLR
I gotta say, after driving a 2.0 for the first time today (2018 4dr sahara) I was underwhelmed. Had 30k on it and was a dog unless I romped on it. I wonder if it wasn't running right?

I wanted to like it, now I am leaning back towards the 3.6 manual even with all the clutch issues ongoing. Sucks only getting those 2 in the 2 dr to choose from.
I tried the 2.0 and had the exact same impression.

Went with the V6 and Manual. I thought all clutch issues were taken care of ?!?! :fingerscrossed:

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I tried the 2.0 and had the exact same impression.

Went with the V6 and Manual. I thought all clutch issues were taken care of ?!?! :fingerscrossed:
There’s an outstanding recall right now for 2018-2020(?) JL’s with the manual transmission that goes by the designation Y07. It isn’t ready to be implemented so dealers can’t install it yet. It’s supposedly a software fix that de-tunes the engine to reduce the load on the transmission.

Re: the inline 6... the Wagoneer forums seem to believe it’s going to be a future engine choice paired with a hybrid electric system (basically the Wagoneer’s 4xE equivalent).

The only thing that could get me out of my 3.6L with manual transmission is that inline 6 with a beefy manual from Tremec or something, or a 5.7L V8 also with manual transmission. Oh, and it has to have two doors. So yeah, this is my last jeep:CWL:

ChrisTheGod

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yamaha r6, Infiniti q60s conv, 2021 HYDRO RUBI
All I’m saying is I never heard a company give you something better for free so I’m banking in all those little baby engines bending around 80k

Saddle Tramp

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 3.0 Turbo Diesel
I think my choice was the only practical one I have made all my life. I just wanted something that could handle everything life on top of a mountain could throw at it. Washed out roads, snow, steep inclines on gravel roads. I sold 2 of my favorite vehicles and bought a Rubicon wit the 3.0 Diesel. Gave me every thing I wanted fresh out of the box. My first Jeep and my First Diesel.
So far I got everything I was looking for and am looking forward to a move to the mountains.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
That's impressive! Do you experience turbo lag?
The eTorque did a pretty good job at disguising what little lag comes with a smaller turbo housing. Removing the factory programmed delay in throttle response, while also adding some sensitivity to it, really livened it up. I also added the Borla Touring Climber cat-back exhaust, which allows the motor to rev up a bit freer.

galleywinter

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Hard Rock JKU, 2018 JL Rubi, 2020 Mercedes GLC 300(Wife) :-)
Occupation
Environmental Manager, VA Hospital
I chimed in a few weeks ago. It was easy for me. No upcharge for the 2.0 and I really have no preference between the 2 engines. Fast forward and some wack things went down at the factory and my build sat in "Paint stage" for 5 weeks then I'm told last week I have a new VON. Pretty much starting over. Holiday weekend, the plant is shut down next week for Summer break. No idea what my new VON is, if I have a VIN, etc... but it's safe to say after 10 weeks since my initial order they won't be starting on newest build any time soon. Pissed but blessing in disguise. I can now add the Extreme Recon package. Totally worth the $4k. The etorque isn't worth an additional $1750 but the Recon package is worth the $4k :) But...... I'm reading this morning that if you want the Recon package it's either 3.6 or 392. Not available right now in 2.0. That changes things. You can look at it this way. If you want the ER package it's not an additional $4k, it's actually $5,750 including the $1,750 uncharge for 3.6. Prob not doing that.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
It's power and acceleration is greatly exaggerated. Just like how some 3.6s exaggerate turbo issues to justify their purchase, some 2.0ers do the same with power. It does take some getting used to with a turbo and would run better with premium(I assume a dealer is using 87.)

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Eh for better or worse I picked the 3.6 because I'd had turbos for 10 years and didn't feel like having to tune a motor to run a higher suspension, larger tires. Whether that makes sense or not, who knows :)

Wbino

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
My tiny 2 seater is a 4 cyl turbo so I wanted my Jeep to be more manly....🦾
Sponsored