Sponsored

Have all the JL problems been worked out for '21?

Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Having lived with my '18 2dr JL for almost three years I've been though all the issues the community had with the first year run of JL's - failed track bar, drag link, steering box, limited slip axle, electrical glitches, etc. How are the new '21s? Are all the previous issues fixed? GF is considering one and woud hate to see her have the problems I had.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Arrowhead

Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Without being a sarcastic ass, the answer is yes, no, and they have creatively come up with new problems as well.
No worries, that's the kind of answer I would expect concerning Jeep. Leave it to them to dream up new ways to screw something up.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
My 21 has been good so far, had it 9 months now and 7,000 miles. No trips back to dealer other than to look at the yellowing paint on the grille. I don't even really notice it now I guess I'm used to it and figure eventually I'll get a black grille maybe :)

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I own a 2018 JL as well and, besides some puzzling electrical glitches that were solved by replacing the batteries, I haven’t had any issues at all.

But judging by some horror stories I am seeing posted by people who took delivery of their JLs recently, I’d venture say that the answer to your question is a resounding NO.

As long as FCA’s quality control remains widely inconsistent, it is impossible to say that Wrangler quality has improved.

Sponsored

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 4xe, 21 Supra 3.0, 21 Pacifica Hybrid
Had my 19 JL w/18K miles with one issue (AC condenser) that was promptly fixed under warranty. No other issues. My 21 4xe has been trouble free but only 1K miles.

Ironically our 19 Honda was a nightmare of recalls and problems and I couldn’t wait to sell it.

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
Gotta agree with @aldo98229 about the inconsistency. I know others have had real issues, but I just hit 18K miles in my 2018 and the only issues I've had (so far) are the back up lines and the steering box.

Knock on wood.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Have all the know JL problems in model years prior to 2021 been worked out in the '21?;)

FLjeeper

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon JLU
My '21 JL experience has been phantom back up camera lines (still not fixed) and the age old lower ball joints not torqued to spec. When I addressed the ball joints, it seemed as though that was a lazy installer who went to install the cotter pin and backed the castellated nut off one hole to accommodate the pin creating a creaking movement in the U joints.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I hope the answer is yes, but my guess is no. As long as its better than my 2018 and 2019 that were both repurchased ill be happy though. My 2020 was great, so hopefully it will be on par with that. But since I bought an Eco-Diesel 2021, in the middle of a labor and parts shortage I am thinking I am in for a lot of dealership visits.

With that said, I still ordered a 2021. There is nothing else available right now even close to meeting my needs to amd worst case scenario I can always sell my 2021 later this year if I am not happy with it. Thats the beauty of the Wrangler, even more so right now.

Sponsored

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
I hope the answer is yes, but my guess is no. As long as its better than my 2018 and 2019 that were both repurchased ill be happy though. My 2020 was great, so hopefully it will be on par with that. But since I bought an Eco-Diesel 2021, in the middle of a labor and parts shortage I am thinking I am in for a lot of dealership visits.

With that said, I still ordered a 2021. There is nothing else available right now even close to meeting my needs to amd worst case scenario I can always sell my 2021 later this year if I am not happy with it. Thats the beauty of the Wrangler, even more so right now.
I'm just curious, but why do you need to buy a new Wrangler every year?

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I'm just curious, but why do you need to buy a new Wrangler every year?
Not that it matters, but as I stated my 2018 and 2019 were both Repurchased. For my 2020 I sold to buy something else, but after a while decided to buy another JLUR. planned to get a 2022, but order banks delayed so got a 2021. I wanted a Diesel, my 2020 was a 3.6.

Outside of the Wranglers, I normally get a new car every other year or so anyways. before my 2018 JLUR I had a 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk. If there are new features I like in a vehicle Ill buy them. I never buy a car to keep forever, I never want my primary car to be out of warranty. With Jeeps this works well as I can sell for pretty much what I paid for them.
Sponsored