Tara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Occupation
Purchasing Assistant
Vehicle Showcase
So I’ve been looking at getting some Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T tires in the size 35”x12.50”xR17. I called Les Schwab today just to get an idea of pricing and if I could put the tires on my 2020 JLUS stock wheels that are matte black and 17”. He told me it wouldn’t work unless the width of the wheel is 8” or more. I’d like some input on if I can put these tires on my stock wheels despite his warnings. My concerns are that it might cause problems on and off-road and the tire might just look strange on the wheels.
Sponsored

OP
OP
rockclimber

rockclimber

First Name
Tara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Purchasing Assistant
Vehicle Showcase
I think you’re asking for trouble, the tires will looked funny and most likely wear unevenly and possibly even pop a bead if you need to turn suddenly.
IMO just get correct rims or correct tires.
I called the dealership to find out if 35” tires would be ok and the guy said no and to get 285”x70”x17 tires. Maybe this would be best in the long term since what you gain with a larger tire is height and clearance and we’re not rock crawling. I don’t want to get too crazy with tire size since it can cause more wear and drastically change the way the Jeep drives as well as mpg. The clearance I would be missing out on in larger tires can be made up with a spacer lift for now until I can purchase the Metalcloak GC 2.5” lift.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I have mounted 12.5-inch wide tires on OE wheels before. It can be done, but you will need spacers and will have to look hard to find a shop willing to do it.

All tire manufacturers recommend using a 8.0 or 8.5-inch rim for 12.5-inch wide tires. None of the large tire retailers wanted to do it; Discount Tire wouldn't even touch the vehicle if it had spacers. I found a large, non-chain tire and wheel retailer in OC willing to do it.

This is my 2012 JKUR with 35x12.5 General MTs on OE wheels and spacers. It looked bitching if you ask me.
Jeep Wrangler JL New All-Terrain Tires On Stock Wheels? 1624642995441

Jeep Wrangler JL New All-Terrain Tires On Stock Wheels? 1624643031201

I took the Jeep wheeling on several occasions: never had a mishap. But you have to be very careful airing down too much. You can pop a bead.
Jeep Wrangler JL New All-Terrain Tires On Stock Wheels? 1624643148141

Jeep Wrangler JL New All-Terrain Tires On Stock Wheels? 1624643167087
Jeep Wrangler JL New All-Terrain Tires On Stock Wheels? 1624643191114

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I called the dealership to find out if 35” tires would be ok and the guy said no and to get 285”x70”x17 tires. Maybe this would be best in the long term since what you gain with a larger tire is height and clearance and we’re not rock crawling. I don’t want to get too crazy with tire size since it can cause more wear and drastically change the way the Jeep drives as well as mpg. The clearance I would be missing out on in larger tires can be made up with a spacer lift for now until I can purchase the Metalcloak GC 2.5” lift.
I agree. 285 tires will fit the OE wheels without spacers, without exceeding the fender widths, and without warnings from the tire manufacturers.

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
I think you’re asking for trouble, the tires will looked funny and most likely wear unevenly and possibly even pop a bead if you need to turn suddenly.
IMO just get correct rims or correct tires.
Geez, this is the blind leading the blind....
There is an entire sub-forum dedicated to wheels and tires.....
Is it recommended? No. Have hundreds upon hundreds done it without dying? Yes.
Your problem will be clearance on a stock Sport. 35s are a no-go without a lift of some type.

Sponsored

OP
OP
rockclimber

rockclimber

First Name
Tara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Purchasing Assistant
Vehicle Showcase
I called discount tire gave them the size 285x70x17 he said it would be $1437 for 5 mounted and balanced and he’d call me when they come in. The stock tires are almost 2 inches shorter than the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT ones I ordered and they’ll fit on the stock wheels I have without having to worry about popping a bead.

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
I’d like some input on if I can put these tires on my stock wheels despite his warnings.
If you think that you know more than the manufacturer about what rim the tire was designed for then you should go ahead and mount the rims. Lots of people in this forum say "I did it and it was fine" and I am sure that is the case, but tire manufacturers aren't thinking about the average experience when they specify this sort of thing. I personally wouldn't do it because I don't know more than the tire manufacturers about tire tolerances.

That said, both Nitto Trail Grapplers and Toyo AT/IIIs come in 35x11.5r17 and will fit 7.5" wide rims. There is also a Nitto Terra Grapplers that come in ~34" (metric tire size I don't remember) that I believe also fit 7.5". I plan to get a set of one of these when I upgrade my own tires.

Good luck.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I called discount tire gave them the size 285x70x17 he said it would be $1437 for 5 mounted and balanced and he’d call me when they come in. The stock tires are almost 2 inches shorter than the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT ones I ordered and they’ll fit on the stock wheels I have without having to worry about popping a bead.
So you know, you can also get a 285/75R17 size. It is a ~34-inch tire.

There's a whole bunch of them: https://tiresize.com/tiresizes/285-75R17.htm

You will need a 1-2 inch lift on your Sport, though.

OP
OP
rockclimber

rockclimber

First Name
Tara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Purchasing Assistant
Vehicle Showcase
If you think that you know more than the manufacturer about what rim the tire was designed for then you should go ahead and mount the rims. Lots of people in this forum say "I did it and it was fine" and I am sure that is the case, but tire manufacturers aren't thinking about the average experience when they specify this sort of thing. I personally wouldn't do it because I don't know more than the tire manufacturers about tire tolerances.

That said, both Nitto Trail Grapplers and Toyo AT/IIIs come in 35x11.5r17 and will fit 7.5" wide rims. There is also a Nitto Terra Grapplers that come in ~34" (metric tire size I don't remember) that I believe also fit 7.5". I plan to get a set of one of these when I upgrade my own tires.

Good luck.
I’m not worried about what wheels were made for the Mickey Thompson tires I’m getting. I was worried the 7.5” wide Jeep wheels wouldn’t be able to accommodate the 35” tires I initially wanted. That is why I called Jeep and asked what size the wheels would be able to hold and they said 285x70x17. I then called discount tire who ordered them for me. I know this size will be perfect and I don’t think I know more than any manufacturer because their entire business is based on their knowledge. I know a person who has Toyo at tires and they have gotten stuck in snow and other conditions numerous times while our Jeep in Michelin a/s tires has never once gotten stuck or needed to be repaired in any way. I was going to go with Nitto Ridge Grapplers but decided if I could afford the best why not.

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
I’m not worried about what wheels were made for the Mickey Thompson tires I’m getting. I was worried the 7.5” wide Jeep wheels wouldn’t be able to accommodate the 35” tires I initially wanted.
That is my point. Virtually every 35x12.5r17 tire is intended to be installed on rims that are wider than the OEM 7.5" wheel. Therefore, the 7.5" wide Jeep wheels can't accommodate most 35x12.5r17 tires... this so long as you follow the tire manufacturers' rim specs.

285x70x17 are generally designed to mount onto a 7.5" wide rim so you should be good. Also, as someone else pointed out, a 35 tall tire might not fit in the wheel wells of a non-lifted Sport so possible that 285x70x17 is better for you for that reason as well depending on if you have a lift.

Sponsored

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
Yeah, that's a No Go on 35x12.50s mounted on a 17x7 wheel. My MOAB wheels are 17x7.5 and it's still a No Go. I decided I don't need to be busting a bead when out on the trail so when I upgraded tires I went with a smaller size to fit the stock wheels.

I like the MOAB wheel so I went with some Toyo AT III tires in a 285/75R17. Toyo's published specification shows the tires are 33.86" tall at specified inflation. I will probably need a spring lift for better articulation on some of the more challenging trail sections I will be traversing with the JLUS but as far as tire performance they should do well.

Here is a before pic of the Jeep with the stock 255/75R17 Firestone Destination tires:

Jeep Wrangler JL New All-Terrain Tires On Stock Wheels? 20210212_122637

And here is the after pic with the 285/75R17 Toyo AT III tires:

Jeep Wrangler JL New All-Terrain Tires On Stock Wheels? 20210304_104806

Comparing the two tires the Toyos are 1.2" wider and 1.75" taller than the Firestones.

torbot

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S
So you know, you can also get a 285/75R17 size. It is a ~34-inch tire.

There's a whole bunch of them: https://tiresize.com/tiresizes/285-75R17.htm

You will need a 1-2 inch lift on your Sport, though.
Thank you, this has been the information I've been looking for. Sport S, with a soon to be installed, 2' Mopar lift. I want to use the OEM wheels (17" x 7.5") and put on the largest AT tires without issues. I assume these will not rub with full articulation? Thank you for any feed back.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Thank you, this has been the information I've been looking for. Sport S, with a soon to be installed, 2' Mopar lift. I want to use the OEM wheels (17" x 7.5") and put on the largest AT tires without issues. I assume these will not rub with full articulation? Thank you for any feed back.
295/70R17 is another option, slightly shorter and wider than the 285/75R17.

Also the 35x11.50R17 mentioned above.

OP
OP
rockclimber

rockclimber

First Name
Tara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Purchasing Assistant
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, that's a No Go on 35x12.50s mounted on a 17x7 wheel. My MOAB wheels are 17x7.5 and it's still a No Go. I decided I don't need to be busting a bead when out on the trail so when I upgraded tires I went with a smaller size to fit the stock wheels.

I like the MOAB wheel so I went with some Toyo AT III tires in a 285/75R17. Toyo's published specification shows the tires are 33.86" tall at specified inflation. I will probably need a spring lift for better articulation on some of the more challenging trail sections I will be traversing with the JLUS but as far as tire performance they should do well.

Here is a before pic of the Jeep with the stock 255/75R17 Firestone Destination tires:

And here is the after pic with the 285/75R17 Toyo AT III tires:

Comparing the two tires the Toyos are 1.2" wider and 1.75" taller than the Firestones.
Thanks for the info! I ordered 285x70x17 Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T tires (for $1437 from Discount Tire!) for my stock sport wheels which have a width of 7.5”. I even called the dealership (my Jeep is a lease for now) to get their recommendation on tire size and that is what they recommended. Your photos have made me feel more confident about the look and I’m excited to finally get them installed!

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ‘20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
Anything worth doing is worth doing right. Buy once, cry once.
Sponsored