sardog12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler X-Gone, 2019 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Chrysler Jeep also mentioned 87 fuel could create uneven explosive and detonation in the engine which could damage piston, piston rings, valves, head gasket etc.
Where did they mention that?
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Where did they mention that?
They didn't.

This thread is BS. OP hasn't proven a thing.

Let's just let the OP do as he/she pleases and let the thread die.

OP
OP

Stac0608

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 2 door Sport
So let me get this straight. You joined this forum just four days ago to tell us that what FCA wrote in their manuals is wrong and we should all use Premium based on a YouTube video you saw? I guess we all been clueless until you joined, right? Shit, I feel enlightened today as I was putting the wrong fuel in all my vehicles since 2005 based on what some Armchair General in Upstate NY is telling me :CWL: :CWL: :CWL: :CWL:
I bought a new JL. First Jeep Iā€™ve owned since 1994. Iā€™ve done off-roading in my CJ7 that would make you wet your pants. Iā€™m an old man now. Like any investment you got to take care of it.

Reseg

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Where? The JL Owner's Manual certainly doesn't. The Grand Cherokee manual doesn't either.

1625063791033.png
Yup, there'd be a massive slam dunk class action lawsuit if it were found that 87 octane caused carbon build up, lower performance, and/or early engine failure, after their claims that premium fuel will NOT provide ANY benefit over 87. FCA would not dare mess with this. Also, pleading ignorance, in this case, would not exempt them from legal responsibility and punishment.

But it often seems pointless telling people what they don't want to hear.

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
I bought a new JL. First Jeep Iā€™ve owned since 1994. Iā€™ve done off-roading in my CJ7 that would make you wet your pants. Iā€™m an old man now. Like any investment you got to take care of it.
Grandpa: please relax. Between 1994 and 2021 they have come a very long way with fuel and additives used in it. Good to know that you went off roading in your CJ 7.

I think I am going to stop debating this one further. I was under the impression that you are some teenager who telling us early 30 somethings about fuel. Due to respect for the elderly imbibed in my Culture, I will let you have this one and just let you vent.

Sponsored

krm98c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
You donā€™t believe me? Why should I care? My dad was a mechanic back in the day. Worked on Lockheed Constellations and Electras. He told me donā€™t ever use 87. They put wear and tear on a engine. Fill it full of carbon. All the airlines used super octane fuels in their old piston high output engines for a reason . Todayā€™s engines have some serious horsepower. My CJ7 4.2 liter 258 cid got 115 horsepower and 225 pounds of torque. Back in the day CJ7s did go 80 miles an hour unless you wanted a death wish. Todayā€™s Wranglers drive more like cars than the Jeeps of my youth. A turn in todayā€™s JL would flip a CJ.
You do, kind of seem to care.

OP
OP

Stac0608

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yup, there'd be a massive slam dunk class action lawsuit if it were found that 87 octane caused carbon build up, lower performance, and/or early engine failure, after their claims that premium fuel will NOT provide ANY benefit over 87. FCA would not dare mess with this. Also, pleading ignorance, in this case, would not exempt them from legal responsibility and punishment.

But it often seems pointless telling people what they don't want to hear.
back in the 80s there was a rear suspension failure on the CJ7 which killed a number of people. Back then there was a push for a class action lawsuit but it never happened. Aired on 60 minutes. My rear spring shackle bolt broken on my CJ7 five or six times. My mechanic told me the bolt used wasnā€™t strong enough for the application. I had to go aftermarket to fix the problem.

OP
OP

Stac0608

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grandpa: please relax. Between 1994 and 2021 they have come a very long way with fuel and additives used in it. Good to know that you went off roading in your CJ 7.

I think I am going to stop debating this one further. I was under the impression that you are some teenager who telling us early 30 somethings about fuel. Due to respect for the elderly imbibed in my Culture, I will let you have this one and just let you vent.
EA3C146D-BD24-4BE2-8BF4-5B53F7DF7E6C.jpeg

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Engines with higher mileage can sometimes benefit from higher octane. On older engines carbon can build up and that can sometimes raise compression.

Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
The manual states 87, Most places that is regular. In the mountains at altitude 87 is mid grade and even though the Jeep would likely run fine on it up here we do use 87 (mid grade here) as listed in the manual. The 3.6 runs great on it, haven't had any bad noises of performance issues. I can't see any reason to run premium, just a waste of money IMO.
That's the way to go. Vehicles used to run fine on 85 at altitude but that was carbureted engines. Not so with fuel injection, which is pretty much every vehicle today.

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
back in the 80s there was a rear suspension failure on the CJ7 which killed a number of people. Back then there was a push for a class action lawsuit but it never happened. Aired on 60 minutes. My rear spring shackle bolt broken on my CJ7 five or six times. My mechanic told me the bolt used wasnā€™t strong enough for the application. I had to go aftermarket to fix the problem.
That was the 80s when the build quality esp on our American cars was not the best and class action laws were lax. There was a reason why the Japanese owned our automotive market back in the 80s and 70s besides just due to Gas MPG. Fast forward to 2021 and I guarantee you no one will get away with that.

OP
OP

Stac0608

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That was the 80s when the build quality esp on our American cars was not the best and class action laws were lax. There was a reason why the Japanese owned our automotive market back in the 80s and 70s besides just due to Gas MPG. Fast forward to 2021 and I guarantee you no one will get away with that.
The only problem I had on my CJ was the rear spring bolt. I did change out that ridiculous plastic valve cover for a steel one. My bro didnā€™t and his renegade engine caught fire. The summer of 88 we rebuilt it. Sprayed it white with paint cans. Red neck all the way. We got it running. Back then a CJ was so easy to fix.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Low octane fuel is at the top of the list.
No. Feel free to Waller in your ignorance if you wish but Iā€™ll leave you to your baseless opinion.

Again, (only saying this for the sake of others who may come across this dumb thread) if thereā€™s excessive buildup (there will be some), thereā€™s an issue somewhere. Moving this thread to ignore as it seems a waste of time.

OP
OP

Stac0608

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No. Feel free to Waller in your ignorance if you wish but Iā€™ll leave you to your baseless opinion.

Again, (only saying this for the sake of others who may come across this dumb thread) if thereā€™s excessive buildup (there will be some), thereā€™s an issue somewhere. Moving this thread to ignore as it seems a waste of time.
Think what you like but being a bully is easy for those who seem to have some serious issue with opposing opinions.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.