Super unleaded gas for 3.6 liter

Status
Not open for further replies.

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
The internet is full of complaints with this engine. Just look at what mechanics are saying. Use super unleaded.
Guess we might be talking to different mechanics then. The ones I spoke to before getting my Jeep and after told me to go with the 3.6 as they consider it to be the second best engine ever in a Jeep after the 4 Liter Straight 6.

I am not aware of any complaints you mentioned here on the 3.6 at least off this forum or a Google Search.

Last edited:

Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
"Seat of the pants" opinion here. I use both regular unleaded, and super unleaded, and can tell a difference. The Super Unleaded makes the engine idle smoother, and under acceleration, it seems to be more peppy and responsive.
NOW, thanks to the new politics, in the USA, I dont put Super Unleaded in, anymore. Much much more expensive.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

The internet is full of complaints with this engine. Just look at what mechanics are saying. Use super unleaded.
Nonsense. My father is a mechanic and owns/operates a repair shop. The 3.6 Pentastar engine is one of the most reliable out there.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

"So, is the 3.6L Pentastar engine reliable? Summing up, we can say the Pentastar 3.6 reliability is way above average. It is time-tested well enough, and over 10 million Pentastar engines were produced to date. Despite that they had some issues early on, the 3.6L V6 Pentastar is great, durable, one of the most reliable engines available on the market right now. With proper maintenance, the 3.6 Pentastar engine longevity is around 250-300k miles (there are even a few cases of the Pentastar last up to impressive 500,000 miles)."

OP
OP

Stac0608

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 2 door Sport
Never said it was a bad engine. I think the 3.6 is in the same league with other engines which require only high octane fuels found in other brands like Chevy Corvette, Porsche, Mercedes, Cadillac etc. It’s a lot of horsepower out of a 3.6 liter engine, far more power than my 4.2 liter 258 cid in my CJ7.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I think the 3.6 is in the same league with other engines which require only high octane fuels
If you choose to use premium fuel, that's your call. It's your wallet :).

It isn't required for the 3.6.

Sponsored

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Yes the 3.6L has a known history of rocker arm and/or lifter failure wiping out camshafts.

Not just Jeep, failures occurs in Pacifica, Charger, etc too

But I don’t believe fuel is the problem, it has to either be a design or lubrication issue.

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I’m hearing the issues with the 3.6 liter engine in the JL could be remedied by using super unleaded gasoline. That high build up of carbon could be the issue. Back in the day (1986) I never used anything other than super in my CJ7 and the engine ran quiet even with 158,000 miles.
Well you may not call it an issue, but there is definitely engine ping/valve rattle if I put regular gas (87) in my 19 or 21 jlu. You can easily hear it when you ride past something and the sound bounces off. I as a religion buy premium gas from Costco/BJs, since their premium cost the same as or less than everyone else's regular, so no brainer there.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
Where? The JL Owner's Manual certainly doesn't. The Grand Cherokee manual doesn't either.

1625063791033.png
I second this comment. I'd be interested in seeing a link or a document from Chrysler which recommends the use of Premium fuel for the 3.6 Pentastar for Model Year 2018 and newer vehicles. Automotive manufacturers do not take this recommendation lightly due to the litigious society we live in. Recommending the wrong fuel Octane has the potential to open the door to a class action lawsuit. So it will be interesting for me to see a document or link from Chrysler directly. If one indeed exists, I will happily switch to Premium.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.