Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

alltimesaresoon

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
fiat 124 spider abarth
I had an interesting experience when I had my oil changed. I requested the clutch recall be performed while I was there since it is reportedly only a software flash. After the service was “complete“ they told me they couldn’t do the recall because the part wasn’t available. I asked them how that could be possible, because surely software is not a “part” per se. I was told there is also a physical part involved, but no one seemed to know what it was… This leads me to believe Jeep doesn’t really have a solution and probably is simply buying time.
kinda similar. i think there is no part involved, but the recall was written to say parts are not available yet, even tho they meant software. the template may not have software not available as a selection so some dummy just picked the closest thing, not realizing that their dealers who have to implement the fixes are going to inevitably make the wrong conclusions

or not caring
Sponsored

alltimesaresoon

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
fiat 124 spider abarth
as a result, you may end up with your muffler changed or your tires rotated as the fix...... communication failures galore

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
That really sucks. I wish you lived close by. We've got an outstanding dealership here with at least one and probably 2 techs that really know the manual transmission and their service advisors and manager are all great, too.

I'd give @JeepCares a try. It'd be worth a shot. Somehow you've got to get someone's attention on this who can help. Not sure how, but if I think of anything I'll certainly let you know.

Anyone else on here in MD who knows of a good dealer with a compentent service department?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I had an interesting experience when I had my oil changed. I requested the clutch recall be performed while I was there since it is reportedly only a software flash. After the service was “complete“ they told me they couldn’t do the recall because the part wasn’t available. I asked them how that could be possible, because surely software is not a “part” per se. I was told there is also a physical part involved, but no one seemed to know what it was… This leads me to believe Jeep doesn’t really have a solution and probably is simply buying time.
It is a software program. It is really kinda dummy proof. All they do is hook your Jeep up to a computer via the OBD II port and it does the rest. It is directly connected with FCA and will automatically upload every necessary update into your Jeep. The tech has very little to do with it beyond drooling and plugging it in. It knows your Jeep personally, as in the VIN.

@Rhinebeck01 can tell you more about how it works, but it really is hard for them to screw it up. Just pay attention here and when it is out you can go into the dealership and have them do it, even if all they know how to do is plug in the computer. It'll tell them when it is done.

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
It is a software program. It is really kinda dummy proof. All they do is hook your Jeep up to a computer via the OBD II port and it does the rest. It is directly connected with FCA and will automatically upload every necessary update into your Jeep. The tech has very little to do with it beyond drooling and plugging it in. It knows your Jeep personally, as in the VIN.

@Rhinebeck01 can tell you more about how it works, but it really is hard for them to screw it up. Just pay attention here and when it is out you can go into the dealership and have them do it, even if all they know how to do is plug in the computer. It'll tell them when it is done.
According to my dealer the Software updates just aren’t available yet. I suspect they got the 2021s that were on stop sale done first and there is additional testing or certification needing done before they work it back to the models in field. It’s not inconceivable to think there are other differences between the 21’s and prior years that would need to be tested and possibly verified before release.

Also, I’m not in a huge hurry as those of us on this forum that care about these things don’t really need our ECM to tell us when the clutch is slipping. It’s quite obvious. And this ECM update isn’t going to be able to address a sudden catostrophic failure anyhow.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm in the middle of Indiana. The dealership that takes care of mine is in Plainfield, Indiana.

Hopefully, those guys with Stellantis will get you to the right people to fix this for you.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hi Jeep cares-

I’m concerned about the clutch in my Jeep. I’m part of the recall that is still waiting fir the “fix”. Is it possible to replace the stock faulty clutch with a different one and have Jeep reimburse for it? The smell is scary and I am nervous to continue waiting for the fix.
Hi Az-jewel,
No, the repair does not include replacing the clutch. We are happy to inform you that the recall repair is available now and that owner letters will mail 7/1/21.

Rob
Jeep Cares

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Az-jewel,
No, the repair does not include replacing the clutch. We are happy to inform you that the recall repair is available now and that owner letters will mail 7/1/21.

Rob
Jeep Cares
According to the original recall, it did if the clutch was worn out prematurely. That's why they devised the clutch wear test procedure as part of it.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just talked to my dealer and got my appointment for July 19 for Y07. They confirmed availability!

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You might need to get an attorney for this one. Sounds like the dealer really screwed this up. An attorney can find out about other complaints against them, too, to see if there is a pattern. Jeep should be able to confirm if they replaced the radio, or not. If they did, they would have covered it under warranty and Jeep will have record of that. If it also qualified for Lemon Law coverage, then that's two more reasons it would be good to get legal advice. Sounds like a really bad dealership.

nomographer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon ("Anaximander"), 94 YJ sold :(
Build Thread
Link
You don't know the laws. We don't know the laws. You don't know who's liable. We don't know who's liable. You don't know your rights. We don't know your rights.

https://lmgtfy.app/?q=find+lawyer
Sponsored