Sponsored

What is the ONE Jeep Accessory every Jeep owner needs?

JeezAJeep

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Baja..2019 BMW X2
Bumper lights...then add more lights after that
Sponsored

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Windshield insurance.
I was waiting to see if it would ever come up.
Get a $10 rainX windshield repair kit And learn how to use it. Learn the butane lighter trick.
The money you save in just a couple years pays for a lot of the other stuff in the thread.

iamstillvince

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler sport s
I was waiting to see if it would ever come up.
Get a $10 rainX windshield repair kit And learn how to use it. Learn the butane lighter trick.
The money you save in just a couple years pays for a lot of the other stuff in the thread.
butane lighter trick?

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
butane lighter trick?
To get the liquid out into the branches of an impact star. After getting the pressure up in the chamber, pass a lit butane flame a couple inches from the glass on the inside for 2-3 seconds. Count to ten and repeat. It causes the air in the cracks to expand then contract and draw the liquid further up the crack.
I sometimes find it helps to open the chamber, add a drop and then repressurize slightly, heat then step up the pressure. Repeat. It’s a learning process. Just keep it out of the sunlight until you are ready for it to cure. Once it’s set you can not do a touch up easily.
FWIW, my 2001 truck still has the original windshield. I have repaired countless impacts ASAP using repai kits. I have found the rainx to be the best one before going to professional gear. 1 kit will do many repairs.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Okay, I just read all 12 pages and counted the things that a Jeep owner must have. I have 38 of the accessories listed in 12 pages. I might have a spending problem.....

Now to look for some blow up dolls. I thought I need two, but just remembered that I pulled the rear seats out of my JLUR so I only have room for one. Only buying one, I can maybe splurge and get a better quality one. Is there a best place to order from? Anyone have a discount code? Am I better off to just order one from the Philippines or Thailand? Is there any type of return policy if I don't like the blow up doll?

acenines3

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport JL
Occupation
Retired
AAA towing lol

DOUGCOGLEY

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Wrangler Sahara | 2008 Jeep Liberty (manual)
New Jeep owner here (well... almost... whenever this build starts/finishes)... question:

What is the ONE Jeep accessory that EVERY one of you can’t live without? What is a must get right out of the gate?

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn't see those miles before the time expired. But, I can see how it would work for some. I keep my vehicles for years. Stay up on maintenance, notice weird little things before they become major things. But I still understand that I may need to fork out a few thousand for a repair down the road.

While on the topic, and not calling you out at all, but why do so many have zero issue spending $10k on mods, but balk at having to pay for a mechanical repair out of warranty?
No offense taken, at all. Everyone has their own perspective and opinions on it, and I respect all view points. So I'll simply explain my rationale. It still might not make sense for your needs or priorities, but it did for mine, at the time.

I don't balk at paying for a repair out of warranty, unless it is a massive cost. But it isn't because I can't afford it. I paid cash for the JLUR. And I've not bought an extended warranty on anything other than the JLUR. I actually stumbled into the idea by accident. But you are thinking about it VERY differently than I. I look at it as an insurance policy. Major components of a vehicle are incredibly expensive nowadays. For example, the Ecoboost in my 2015 Ford Transit cost $12,000 to replace. Would you balk at $12k to replace an engine? It Ain't just a few thousand bucks for a Jasper on some of these machines these days. It can get into 5 figures very quickly. The Pentastar wouldn't be that much, but it'd still be far north of $3k. I don't have the auto transmission, but I'm betting that complex and sophisticated unit would cost a pretty penny to replace, too.

So for the JK, the lifetime warranty was an incentive on all newly purchased Chrysler vehicles at the time I bought it, which was around September of 2007. So it came with it. I didn't ask for it or pay for it. But it sure worked out. I planned from Day 1 to keep that Jeep until the wheels fell off. I sold my YJ and regretted it every day since. Still do. But I still wouldn't have paid for that warranty. But having experienced it's benefit, it made me think about it for the JL. On the JK, it has saved me about $4,000. (New transmission and water pump, and maybe a couple other things I've forgotten about). And I got a new (actually FCA reman) transmission with all the post 2008 model year updates. It is MUCH better than the original ever was.

On the JL, things are a bit more expensive. I don't think a manual transmission would be too bad, but a new Pentastar would get into some money. While it would not be nearly as expensive as an Ecoboost, it would still not be cheap. Plus, the JL is full of expensive electronics. The head unit on the 8.4 alone is at least $1,000. The warranty on the JL covers that. It covers MUCH more than on the JK.

Finally, I knew I'd be off-roading this $50k vehicle and a lifetime of that is pretty hard on it. I hope never to have to use it, but when I see Jeep replacing entire axles due to the failure of a little $2 locker sensor they won't offer as a replacement part, the warranty starts to look like a pretty good idea on such a complex and expensive machine.

As for maintaining the vehicle, that's a given when you keep them for decades. Here's the JK, after nearly 14 years of hard use off-roading and 155k miles. It has been off-road all over the country. Nothing but the best maintenance practices for My Jeeps. Even the interior looks like new. (Just had a hole in the cloth front seat repaired, like new.) I run them hard but pamper them in the garage. Nothing but the best fluids and parts for it. It performs and drives better than new and you won't find one spot of rust on it after all those Indiana winters and road salt baths. It has many, many adventures ahead of it as my oldest son will be piloting it on future trips.

And btw, FCA (now Stellantis) thinks it was a bad deal for them, so they ended lifetime warranties. As for extended warranties, I probably wouldn't buy the ones they offer now. They aren't long enough and don't make enough sense for my needs and expectations. My JK would have been out of their extended warranties when the tranny was replaced, for example.

Jeep Wrangler JL What is the ONE Jeep Accessory every Jeep owner needs? PXL_20210530_004014122

Jeep Wrangler JL What is the ONE Jeep Accessory every Jeep owner needs? PXL_20210517_003238599

And by the way, the modding never stops, so the wallet hemmhoraging doesn't, either, LOL! I just spent a couple grand on upgrades, such as new bumpers, winch, and I replaced the old AEV lift with a new one. You'll still see this Jeep in my garage a decade from now, and Stellantis will likely still be on the hook for the powertrain warranty, with the way these hold their value. (The warranty ends when the value of a claim exceeds the wholesale book value of the vehicle. This one is still a LONG way from that.)

I don't keep other vehicles this long, other than the 22 year old Mercedes in the background, so I don't buy the extended warranties on them. I don't run them as hard, either.

I hope that sheds a little light on my rationale and experience.

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
I believe it's not even an option on Wrangler, but I believe that lane keep assist should be standard on a Wrangler, with ability to turn up sensitivity/assist. :)

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Extended warranty, I planned right off the get go to replace many of the Jeep components to stronger things that the warranty would not cover. A couple thousand for the warranty??? The is a couple thousand that I can put towards a Hemi swap if the motor goes out. Face it the Penstar is dam near bulletproof for the most part anyways if you leave it stock as proven by millions of moms in mini vans.... The transmission is way stronger than the output of the stock motor....

Every thing else if it goes bad, I want to upgrade it anyways. that is why the warranty was a pass for me.

Last edited:

Steve JLUR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GC Summit
Okay, I just read all 12 pages and counted the things that a Jeep owner must have. I have 38 of the accessories listed in 12 pages. I might have a spending problem.....

Now to look for some blow up dolls. I thought I need two, but just remembered that I pulled the rear seats out of my JLUR so I only have room for one. Only buying one, I can maybe splurge and get a better quality one. Is there a best place to order from? Anyone have a discount code? Am I better off to just order one from the Philippines or Thailand? Is there any type of return policy if I don't like the blow up doll?
So many questions…. I want to make sure I minimize the mistakes.

How do you know it’s a better one? What’s the point of reference?

Do you WANT there to be a return policy? What do you think they’d do with the returned ones?

Just curious, why do you think two dolls would be necessary? It’s the same question I have for polygamists. I have enough trouble keeping up with the lies I tell one woman (jk), I’ve got them all listed in a concordance…

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I did forget to mention that my JL was a VERY early production unit in the first model year. That's another reason I bought the warranty. But it has worked out well because it has had no significant issues, at least for the firsst 47k miles.

But like I said, each has their own rationale. And I paid about what an automatic transmission would have cost as an option. I don't think that's too bad. At the end of the day, nobody has a crystal ball. I chose it as insurance. So far, it hasn't paid off, at all. But the Jeep is still very young. I honestly hope to never have to use it. But at least I can recoup it if I ever did sell it, which is unlikely.

One other note. In spite of lifting and heavy off-road use, my dealership never hesitated on warranty coverage on that JK, either. So I knew that going in on the JL. Otherwise I might not have done it.

But it is NOT the one Jeep accessory everyone needs. Most won't keep their Jeep's long enough to justify it. So I'm not sure what I'd put in that category, but the blow up dolls certainly would be a consideration. ;)
Sponsored