Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Quite interesting. On the steering, based on the parts, it seems they changed the steering shaft damper, not the hydraulic damper on the axle. It might not be aligned properly, or loose, hard to say

I couldn't get matches on the transmission parts, but I'm assuming it's the clutch and pressure plate assembly aside from the flywheel. Burned smell is probably greasy handprints on the exhaust pipes. Grinding gears is because they didn't bleed all the air out of the clutch hydraulic lines. Sounding like it's coming apart is surely because they didn't get the Y pipe seated properly or tight and your hearing unmuffled racket through the floorboards.

Good news, any half-competent independent mechanic could fix your main complaints in a short period of time. The Radio... yeah, they are buggy. No matter how many they swap in, it will still randomly crash on you.
Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Not making excuses for them, the part they changed in the steering was not a damper but a coupler. It wouldn't affect toe alignment, but could result in the wheel being off-center. They should have test driven the vehicle after the work, that's repair 101. If you've had it in four times... that's worrying.

Radio, yeah you should hold out for an actual replacement.

On the independent mechanic, there's a question of how much it's worth to go through the hassle. I prefer to do my own repairs even if something is warranty because it's not worth the frustration and hassle of messing with a dealer.

I have a strong hunch that your problems could be resolved for very little money. Sure you SHOULDN'T have to pay, but it might be worth it to you to just get it resolved.

Or keep fighting the dealer 🤷‍♂️

nomographer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon ("Anaximander"), 94 YJ sold :(
Build Thread
Link
In addition to working here with JeepCares to find a dealer who will be responsive to the realities of the situation, it sounds like you might want to get a lawyer to help with lemon laws.

JeepCares seems to routinely do a good job helping people here, but there's only so much they can do as well.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
We're here to support you, but that's not likely what happened. The tech was in a hurry, didn't properly bleed the hydraulic system, and didn't get the exhaust flanges to seal properly. Those items often take 2 or 3 attempts to get right even by very good techs. They are, however, minor. Get them fixed by a dealer (or any shadetree mechanic) and your Jeep will run "like new".

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
Has anyone had the recall performed? My dealership is claiming they did it, but I haven’t seen any word of it being available yet. I was surprised when I saw the note on their copy of the paperwork, but it isn’t on mine.

Sponsored

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Has anyone had the recall performed? My dealership is claiming they did it, but I haven’t seen any word of it being available yet. I was surprised when I saw the note on their copy of the paperwork, but it isn’t on mine.
Does the instrument cluster show what gear you’re in? If not they didn’t do it.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
Does the instrument cluster show what gear you’re in? If not they didn’t do it.
I think I’m getting the recalls confused. I thought only the 21’s have a gear position sensor, which is why those of us with 18-20’s don’t have a fix yet.
So mine does not show the gear, and I didn’t think it ever would.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I think I’m getting the recalls confused. I thought only the 21’s have a gear position sensor, which is why those of us with 18-20’s don’t have a fix yet.
Y07 is the PCM flash for the prior model years. I've not seen anything on it yet, but both my dealer and @JeepCares said it would be out by the end of June. We're almost there, so whoever gets the first notice, please post it up!

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Possibly. But 21’s don’t display the gear without the patch so I suspect earlier models have this capability lurking as well.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Y07 is the PCM flash for the prior model years. I've not seen anything on it yet, but both my dealer and @JeepCares said it would be out by the end of June. We're almost there, so whoever gets the first notice, please post it up!
Last I saw it was end of July, Dan.
Sponsored