Sponsored

We shouldn’t be responsible for the first two broken windshields!!!

Should Chrysler & MOPAR be held accountable for the first 2 windshield replacements?

• Total voters

Rogue Toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Rubicon
Why should Jeep be responsible for damage caused by circumstances out of their control? Everyone these days wants everyone but themselves to have to take responsibility for things.

Why not just give us free seats if you spill your coffee?
Why not just give us free tires if you get a flat?
Why not just give us common sense if we lack our own....

Is there a way to vote the petition as idiotic?
Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Still on my factory windshield. 3 years so far

Rogue Toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Rubicon
Lost me after the first sentence in the petition request. Don’t call me “part of the problem” because I don’t jump on your bandwagon.
It's 2021, don't you know that you have to label and accuse people who don't agree with your agenda?

Seems to me we should just #CancelCulture windshield chips and then we'd be all good.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Jeeps and pickups with large negative offset (poke as some of you call it) wheel and tire combos are also part of the problem as those tires kick up a lot of debris. Especially bad are the JK guys with cut or no fenders.

Sponsored

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
This is one of the saddest cases of entitled BS I've read today. Does Goodyear owe you a free tire on your first flat? Does Shell owe you the first time you run out of gas? Does Leggs owe you the first time you get a run in your pantyhose? Does Mickey D's owe you the first time you get hungry after eating a Big Mac. What utter nonsense. Is this a Jeep forum or Reddit for whiney snowflakes.

Wbino

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
I leave my wipers on at full speed always. It increases chance of deflection by .000002 percent.
That's also the discount my insurance company gave me. 🖖😅

AppleJacks23

First Name
A.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.revkit.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Human Resources
Vehicle Showcase
Just voted yes (sarcastically). Getting 2nd windshield replaced Saturday at 23k miles. Gotta love DFW highways. No gorilla glass for forward collision windshield yet.

dennis2society

First Name
dennis2society
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys - SOT - Etorque V6
Occupation
Procrastinator
Surprised there are so many NOs in survey...

Feel like at least 1st windshield should be covered - its a longstanding risk that happens more often than with other vehicles and, for most highway drivers, is a result of random bad luck.

Cell phone manufacturers have done similar. For both my HTC and pixel phone, i got one free cracked screen replacement outside before insurance kicked in. For iphones, they make it so easy to buy and integrate applecare, which also covers. As with wranglers, phones are designed with screens that can crack with normal use.

I know insurance can cover but why is that our problem. IMO that's just jeep passing the buck. Jeep designs, manufactures and sells - thus they are in the best potion to offer free replacement service at the dealerships. They'd also be in best position to buy at low cost and pass saving to us. Why bring insurance middlemen and increase price?

That being said, Stellantis wouldn't offer anything for free without a reason - eg, if Ford were to offer windshield coverage on the bronco, I'm 100% that wrangler would follow.

Sponsored

JimmyB

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Everyone looking for a handout these days...you could always buy a different vehicle if it bothers you that much. I just had my first crack at 5500 miles - Safelite was out the next day to repair it and its 99.9% gone and it didn't cost me anything above what I already pay.

Reactions: VNT

dennis2society

First Name
dennis2society
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys - SOT - Etorque V6
Occupation
Procrastinator
Everyone looking for a handout these days...you could always buy a different vehicle if it bothers you that much. I just had my first crack at 5500 miles - Safelite was out the next day to repair it and its 99.9% gone and it didn't cost me anything above what I already pay.
Oh wow. Didn't even know cracks could be fixed as opposed to replaced. Can you share pics?

btw, I've never gotten a windshield crack in my life and would love my jeep the same even if I did. Even so, my current assumption is that wrangler windshield cracks are generally random thus we should all be protected - i.e., most people love their jeeps as much as me and try to avoid risks like driving behind 18wheelers - but their cracks are just due to bad luck and upright design.

JimmyB

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Oh wow. Didn't even know cracks could be fixed as opposed to replaced. Can you share pics?

btw, I've never gotten a windshield crack in my life and would love my jeep the same even if I did. Even so, my current assumption is that wrangler windshield cracks are generally random thus we should all be protected - i.e., most people love their jeeps as much as me and try to avoid risks like driving behind 18wheelers - but their cracks are just due to bad luck and upright design.
Mine was about the size of a dime and came from the opposite side of the road. I literally saw the rock coming off the back of a single-axle trailer. I was sitting still in front of the flagger (first in line of course...). I saw it come like it was in slow motion over the hood and hit just above the steering wheel. Trailer was maybe going 15mph when it passed me too =(

Safelite guy told me it was going to be a difficult repair but I am not sure if it was or he was just trying to make it seem more impressive when fixed it lol. I have had windshield cracks in almost every car I have ever owned. Sadly no pictures I was had a busy day when it happened and it was fixed before I could even think to replace it. If I took a pic of the repair you wouldn't actually see anything it was that good.

If the windshield cracks from product defect (i.e. no contact) I agree that should be replaced by Jeep. I have not personally experienced this but I have seen others mention it has and can happen.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Didn't even know cracks could be fixed as opposed to replaced.
The windscreen cracks that I've watched being repaired use a interesting process: a small hole is drilled, at a perfect 90° angle to the surface of the glass, in order to arrest further movement (growth) of the crack. A hole in the center of the crack, depending on its shape (e.g., star-shaped) may also be drilled. A special fast-cure resin is then injected in order to fill the drilled holes and/or the veins of the crack. The resin dries clear. When the job has been done well, only the smallest remnant of the repair is visible. It is pretty neat to observe the end result.

The foregoing is conditional, and is based on the size and progression of the glass defect in question. A photo or 3 may not represent what's possible, or not, with a crack on another vehicle's windscreen. Just an FYI.

A steeply raked windscreen, in comparison to the upright glass on our Jeeps, won't by itself protect against rock chips and so on when driving. Voice of experience here.

And having observed the ease with which a glass technician can remove an entire windshield with a simple hand tool or two reminds me that security is an illusion. ;)

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Nothing is free. If Jeep was stupid enough to offer this “protection” we would all pay for it with higher base sticker prices. Just like the Jeep Wave “free” oil changes.
Sponsored