Sponsored

2019 eTorque

chessiehokie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR; Previous: 1978 Jeep CJ-7; M151A2 (3/64 Armor, 3rd Infantry Division).
The 2018 owners manual says "It is recommended that the Start/Stop System be disabled during off-road use." Likewise, Start/Stop (ESS) is automatically disabled when the transfer case is in 4LO. This is all well and good for off-roading. The integration of eTorque/BSG and the ESS system for the 3.6L Pentastar in 2019 raises a question (for me, at least):

When ESS is disabled while off-road (either from the dash switch or by having the transfer case in 4LO), will the additional torque from the eTorque system still be available at the low RPM range when starting from a stop? If so, that would be huge while off-roading! If not, it would be disappointing and make the ESS/eTorque/BSG integration much less attractive.
Sponsored

whatroads

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ram 1500 QC 4x4, 2012 Wangler
Unless the Jeep Engineering makes changes it will not be available if ESS is switched off. And, I agree. I would like to see eTorque applied to low range engine RPM use

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
The 2018 owners manual says "It is recommended that the Start/Stop System be disabled during off-road use." Likewise, Start/Stop (ESS) is automatically disabled when the transfer case is in 4LO. This is all well and good for off-roading. The integration of eTorque/BSG and the ESS system for the 3.6L Pentastar in 2019 raises a question (for me, at least):

When ESS is disabled while off-road (either from the dash switch or by having the transfer case in 4LO), will the additional torque from the eTorque system still be available at the low RPM range when starting from a stop? If so, that would be huge while off-roading! If not, it would be disappointing and make the ESS/eTorque/BSG integration much less attractive.

Unless the Jeep Engineering makes changes it will not be available if ESS is switched off. And, I agree. I would like to see eTorque applied to low range engine RPM use
The question I'll ask why would you need that much torque while in 4lo? If you really think about it, if you're in 4lo in a Rubicon with the 4:1 transfer case you're talking about a torque multiplier of roughly a factor of 4 because of how low you're geared. A similar situation with the Sahara and Sport where I "think" the transfer case ratio is around 2.73:1.

Too much torque and you'll be snapping axle shafts like twigs.

Budagreg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2-Door Turbo, 2012 BMW 328i, 1999 Miata, 38' Fleetwood Expedition RV
I have found nothing in and FCA documentation or presentations that say ESS off would disable the eTorque system.
It just wouldn't let the engine turn off.
There would be no reason not to have eTorque off, especially offroad.

OP
OP
chessiehokie

chessiehokie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR; Previous: 1978 Jeep CJ-7; M151A2 (3/64 Armor, 3rd Infantry Division).
The question I'll ask why would you need that much torque while in 4lo? If you really think about it, if you're in 4lo in a Rubicon with the 4:1 transfer case you're talking about a torque multiplier of roughly a factor of 4 because of how low you're geared. A similar situation with the Sahara and Sport where I "think" the transfer case ratio is around 2.73:1.

Too much torque and you'll be snapping axle shafts like twigs.
A valid response for 4LO... but why not have access to eTorque when ESS has been turned off while off-road in 4H? Certainly the torque would be as welcome there as when launching from any full stop, whether the ESS is on or off. I don't see any reason why ESS would necessarily prevent the rest of the system from functioning. I suppose the thing to do is to query those who get the 2.0L Turbo to see if eTorque will work there while ESS is disabled... same for the 2019 RAM 1500 when it gets released.

Sponsored

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
There’s no reason for etorque to be disabled when ESS is turned off - they’re 2 unrelated features that just happen to use the same power source.

Following that logic, etorque wouldn’t work if you did any of the other things to prevent ESS from turning off the engine, such as not releasing the clutch on a manual, or running your AC on a really hot day. And that wouldn’t make any sense at all.

The BSG does not have to start the engine in order to add torque.

thenewrick

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model S P85+ / Subaru Baja Turbo 5-Speed
eTorque fills the torque gap where the engine isn't at high enough rpm to produce sufficient torque and would bog down. So, if ESS is disabled, then eTorque is disabled. It only really gives torque from like 0 to 1000 rpm until the engine can produce the same amount of torque. For the V6 it's 90 torque. So whenever the engine can make that much torque the eTorque turns off. I'd guess it makes 90 around 1000 rpm but there's a little wiggle room there of course. You wont be able to crawl off road on electric only if that's what you were thinking. It's meant for extremely short bursts of torque for smooth restarts and cylinder activation on V8; think maybe 1 second of actual torque boost.

Rubi Blue

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Cherokee, 2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 2013 Volvo S80, 2017 Yamaha Wolverine, 2002 Kawasaki KLR, 1970 Honda Mini Trail 70
When I started my research, I was kind-of chuckling to myself about all these 'other' engines vs. the basic Pentastar... The more I read, the curiouser I get about 2.0 eTorque... I know it just doesn't sound Jeepy..... but I am starting to lean that way... I've not ordered my 2019 yet... but will keep reading the forum and will post when i do finally decide...

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sophistijeep.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
MY2014 JKU Overland (RHD) A/T, Mercedes E-class MY2017
When I started my research, I was kind-of chuckling to myself about all these 'other' engines vs. the basic Pentastar... The more I read, the curiouser I get about 2.0 eTorque... I know it just doesn't sound Jeepy..... but I am starting to lean that way... I've not ordered my 2019 yet... but will keep reading the forum and will post when i do finally decide...
Have you then heard about the fires in the 2.0? ;) Nothing like waking up to your garage turned in to a massive fire pit in the middle of the night.

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Zj
I was under the impression that the fires attributed to the 2.0 were contained to the Toledo lot and no Jeeps were delivered. Do you have examples of the 2.0 catching fire after the revision and the Jeep was delivered?

Sponsored

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sophistijeep.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
MY2014 JKU Overland (RHD) A/T, Mercedes E-class MY2017
I was under the impression that the fires attributed to the 2.0 were contained to the Toledo lot and no Jeeps were delivered. Do you have examples of the 2.0 catching fire after the revision and the Jeep was delivered?
All 2.0s don't go up in flames at the same time across the country. Even if there are any out there, seeing how FCA royally screwed up the reliability of the JL issuing serious recalls in what seems like every week, the safest 2.0 for me to buy is one that has already burned to the ground because at least I know I'm not in it.

Go for the simpler vehicle is what I always say. Even if you can't repair it on your own, there are fewer things to fail.

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Zj
Given your answer to my question, am I correct to assume that you cannot provide any examples of any 2.0 anywhere that has actually burned after the production revision was instituted and the Jeeps were delivered to the customer?

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
Given your answer to my question, am I correct to assume that you cannot provide any examples of any 2.0 anywhere that has actually burned after the production revision was instituted and the Jeeps were delivered to the customer?
I havent heard of any on the street but jeeps fix for the issue doesnt seem logical. If the overheated in ohio where it is relatively cool is that little bit of insulation really going to help in somewhere like phoenix where people are hospitalyzed for burns on their hand from hot steering wheels. Cars get way too hot their. Its so bad that i never had a top tier battery last more than a year there due to the heat.

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Zj
Atmospheric heat is not what caused the fires. If you think that your steering wheel is hot try grabbing the exhaust pipe after driving a while. Given the solution that Jeep came up with and the location of the 48V battery I would assume that the heat was being absorbed from the exhaust system. If you take a look at the photos and videos that are available the exhaust runs parallel to the 48V battery. In your house I'm sure you have a layer of insulation to keep the radiant heat from the attic out of your living space. And, using the same concept, in your 2.0 you have a layer of insulation to keep the radiant heat from your exhaust out of the 48V battery. Now I do not have any facts to back me up, this is simply my opinion given what I have been able learn about the fires and how Jeep resolved the issue and their plan to prevent any future fires. If this solution did not have total confidence Jeep would never release the 2.0 to the public. If they have a problem and they only half way fix it and a home burns down or there is a fatality Jeep would be liable. And if I can figure that out the people at Jeep who are much smarter than I am know that too.

Rubi Blue

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Cherokee, 2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 2013 Volvo S80, 2017 Yamaha Wolverine, 2002 Kawasaki KLR, 1970 Honda Mini Trail 70
Have you then heard about the fires in the 2.0? ;) Nothing like waking up to your garage turned in to a massive fire pit in the middle of the night.
I have not heard.... BUT, settled on the Pentastar and now own Rubi Blu!
Sponsored