Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
That sounds like a strange justification on their part. If FCA though eTorque is that generic, then why bother giving it its own name?

Car companies don’t go giving ABS or fuel injection systems their own brand names...

Most likely FCA now realizes it f-ed up marketing eTorque and it made up a justification after-the-fact.
48V mild hybrid systems are used a lot in other brands. Mercedes, BMW, Volvo, Kia, Ford, VW, SEAT, Skoda and other all use them. BMW alone uses the 48V system in 51 models.
Sponsored

Glovetown

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 wrangler
Thanks guys...great videos! I am a little concerned though, as the start/stop feature in my JL isn't anywhere as smooth as they demonstrated in the video, and definitely isn't "imperceptible" (their words). Just curious what everyone is experiencing in their Wranglers.

Also...I'd assume that after disabling the start/stop feature, the other 5 eTorque features described in the video are still operating normally. True?
I removed start/stop as soon as I got
My JL

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I think the issue with eTorque is the cost/benefit equation.

On the Ram, the battery is out of harm's way, the vehicle/engine is much heavier, thus the benefits are more significant (up to 2MPG difference).

On the JL, there was ZERO MPG difference between the models with/without eTorque (e.g. 2020 V6 no eTorque vs 2021 V6 w eTorque). Furthermore, the battery and all its cooling lines are exposed under the Jeep - a vehicle that is supposed to be on rocks, mud, water.

So it is a matter of the cost (in $$$, complexity, off-road vulnerability) vs no change in MPG rating.
Exposed? You shouldrealize that the fuel tank and rear driveshaft would be destroyed by the time the 48v battery pack was in any real jeopardy.
Jeep Wrangler JL An Explanation of eTorque: what it is, how it works, what it does. 20210124_135338

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I think there actually is some real world benefit, including better fuel economy. If there weren't, I'm not sure why Jeep would even bother since more components equal more development expense, build complexity, and potential warranty issues.
There is nothing that changes the MPG rating. But yes, it probable adds a fraction of a MPG.

I think it's something that Jeep thought they could get some extra $$$ for. And they have been moving eTorque from one engine to another, one price option to another trying to get enough customers to order it.

I think right now they are betting on customers taking it without having to quantify the benefits.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Exposed? You shouldrealize that the fuel tank and rear driveshaft would be destroyed by the time the 48v battery pack was in any real jeopardy.
Yes, the lines and battery pack are exposed. They are exposed to water, mud, sticks and rocks.

That is really a bad location to put a LiION battery.

Jeep worked very hard to remove the evap canister that was in that location, precisely because they kept getting hit. Mine (on JK) got hit (both before and after I put a rock hard skid on it), and nothing happened to my drive shaft or fuel tank.

Now, I don't think it is the end of the world to have the battery there and Artec et al make great skids for it. I think complexity of the cooking and electrical lines running back and forth from the engine compartment is a bigger issue.

But that is just me. I dislike complexity, unless the benefit is substantial.

8-speed automatic = good complexity, with great benefits (I paid for it)
eTorque = questionable complexity, with questionable benefits (I didn't pay for it)

Sponsored

LITTLE WILLYS

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
unlimited willys
What engine do you have and what year vehicle? eTorque used to be paired with the 2.0L but now it's with the 3.6L. You may have ESS and not the BSG. I have the 3.6 with eTorque and the only thing you notice is when the engine stops you lose that vibration. But the engine restart is all but imperceptible.

I'm not a Jeep engineer, but I'm pretty positive turning of the start-stop wouldn't affect any of the other functions.
the 2.0 still has it.

PaulW

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 LJ, 72 Bronco
It did not happen in 2018 described in the video but it did happen in 2021 for the 3.6 motor. But the video is a pre-production video and uses the specs for the RAM. The Wrangler will have less poop. Meaning smaller LION battery and less MGU hp

For comparison more on the battery 2.0 4xe

PaulW

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 LJ, 72 Bronco

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKURHR
Yes, the lines and battery pack are exposed. They are exposed to water, mud, sticks and rocks.

That is really a bad location to put a LiION battery.

Jeep worked very hard to remove the evap canister that was in that location, precisely because they kept getting hit. Mine (on JK) got hit (both before and after I put a rock hard skid on it), and nothing happened to my drive shaft or fuel tank.
Jeep is taking a rather laissez-faire approach to undercarriage protection these days. Witness the 392's multiple vulnerabilities. There just isn't enough room for everything Jeep wants to do, apparently.

Jeep Wrangler JL An Explanation of eTorque: what it is, how it works, what it does. 1624365221665

Sponsored

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKURHR
Does anyone know what happens if the cooling circuit? I assume the battery would fail to charge, but does current still flow to the DC converter?
I obviously don't know, but I would imagine the dashboard lights up like Christmas and the vehicle either (a) goes into a limp mode or (b) completely shuts down. While it theoretically should be able to function without eTorque (provided you don't turn off the ignition), in practice, I imagine the engineers won't allow that.

Notice how there's no backup system for the ASS system. Even though the vehicle could theoretically just disable ASS and allow you to start off the main battery, it doesn't do that. Just says ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Let's put this into perspective: which lines do you think I'm concerned with?

Jeep Wrangler JL An Explanation of eTorque: what it is, how it works, what it does. PXL_20210622_003054319

These lines run almost the entire length of the wheelbase, right at frame level. Rocks, sticks can easily snag them.

Jeep Wrangler JL An Explanation of eTorque: what it is, how it works, what it does. 1624426920801

Jeep Wrangler JL An Explanation of eTorque: what it is, how it works, what it does. 1624427053926

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKURHR
These lines run almost the entire length of the wheelbase, right at frame level. Rocks, sticks can easily snag them.

Jeep Wrangler JL An Explanation of eTorque: what it is, how it works, what it does. 1624427053926

That’s not good at all. What was Jeep thinking, making this mandatory to get a Rubi V6? That looks like an owner mod, not a factory solution.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
There are many different system components that it can be argued can be damaged from the right hit from a stick or rock. That can be easily avoided, but we'd lose the cargo area of the cabin which would be turned into a utility closet. Would anyone here prefer that? Or the more favorable route. A skid system. 4 full model years, and not 1 peep about damaged coolant lines for the battery pack. Not saying it couldn't happen, but this is the same exact thing as not wanting to leave the house for fear of being in a car accident.

The rear muffler on all motors and the crossover exhaust pipe on the 3.6 gets whacked all the time. Why isn't jeep asked "what were you thinking?" when they layed out the exhaust systems? All of those owners seem to just stuck it up as the reality of choosing to offroad. This brings my mind to AnnDee4444's use of the word "perspective". Let's try to maintain it.

A battery pack, generator, and line set is not exactly complicated. The enhanced performance and potential increase in longevity of the 8-speed auto is well worth the extra hardware, in my opinion. The reduced parasitic load on the motor, due to not solely relying on an alternator for charging, is another plus of etorque.

Complication without benefit? A realistic subject for that argument would be the increased parasitic loss of the 3.6 over the 2.0, due to the many extra friction creating component of both the reciprocal and rotational assemblies. They both have similar outputs at the crank, but at the rear wheels is where the enhanced loss can be seen.
Sponsored