Sponsored

Cape Lookout on the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Two JLUR and a Cherokee go Beach Camping

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
So two days before I leave, I get noise from a rear axle bearing. Fuck, call around and the soonest that I can get the bearing is three days. Houston we have a problem. The ferries that take vehicles to Cape Lookout operate on a reservation only schedule. I can not change the reservation as I had to book the reservation in February to be able to go in May. I can not make the ferry and wait on the part. Then my good bud Bill tosses me the Keys to his JLUR and says take my ride, you can't miss this trip. Bill normally would be going on this trip, but had other obligations and could not go and had not planned on going. Bill saves the day.

So I drove my buds Punk'N Jeep for this trip...........

So a little bit about Cape Lookout. There is about 60 miles of beaches that you can drive and camp on. The ferries only carry 4 vehicles at a time and there is only three ferry boats hauling vehicles. So with only a small amount of vehicle being able to get to the island and vehicles coming and going for each trip, it equals a very desolate beach and beach camping experience.

I chose Cape Lookout for a ver specific reason. The southern point of the island makes it possible to watch a sunrise over the ocean and sunset from the same spot with out changing location, all you have to do is turn around. The mainland is wrapped way to the north, so that point is just out in the middle of the water with no land in sight for miles and miles enabling you to see a sunrise and sunset from the same spot over water.

Jeep Wrangler JL Cape Lookout on the Outer Banks of North Carolina.  Two JLUR and a Cherokee go Beach Camping 1623403315739

Going here, I knew that the wheeling would be just beach driving and a real chill four days of camping. Just what we all needed. Good food, some swimming, great sunsets, great sunrises, and a great night sky.

We had a long drive, about 16 hours to get to the ferry and we were scheduled to be on the last ferry of the day at 4 pm on Thursday May 27. I was told miss the ferry and you are just out of luck. We got there about an hour and a half early.
Jeep Wrangler JL Cape Lookout on the Outer Banks of North Carolina.  Two JLUR and a Cherokee go Beach Camping 1623403760680

Jeep Wrangler JL Cape Lookout on the Outer Banks of North Carolina.  Two JLUR and a Cherokee go Beach Camping 1623403815092

The ferry got us on and over the island we headed. What a beautiful day to be Jeeping on the water.
Jeep Wrangler JL Cape Lookout on the Outer Banks of North Carolina.  Two JLUR and a Cherokee go Beach Camping 1623403998525

Jeep Wrangler JL Cape Lookout on the Outer Banks of North Carolina.  Two JLUR and a Cherokee go Beach Camping 1623404077831

I actually made it to the island on an earlier ferry and had to wait an hour or so for the other two to get on the island. I drove down the beach a bit and unhooked and hung out and waited for the rest of my party to get there.

After they arrived, I hooked back up and we drove 30 or so miles further down the beach to where I planned to camp. We camped at the last sand dune on the southern point of the island. There is a lot of wind out there so we tucked in close to the dune to camp for what little protection the dune provided from the wind.

The beaches are desolate and there were times that there was no one camping with in miles of each other.
Jeep Wrangler JL Cape Lookout on the Outer Banks of North Carolina.  Two JLUR and a Cherokee go Beach Camping 1623404416721

I cruised back up the ferry area to catch my other buds coming off the ferry.
Jeep Wrangler JL Cape Lookout on the Outer Banks of North Carolina.  Two JLUR and a Cherokee go Beach Camping 1623404509838

Jeep Wrangler JL Cape Lookout on the Outer Banks of North Carolina.  Two JLUR and a Cherokee go Beach Camping 1623404631694

Running down the beach was cool. It took us about an hour or so to get down to where we planned to camp. You could cruise about 20 to 25 mph on the beach pulling a camper and it was pretty smooth. There were some parts of the beach blocked off and we would have to head to the trail on the other side of the dune due to marked off area for bird breeding areas that were all limits during the breeding season.

Jeep Wrangler JL Cape Lookout on the Outer Banks of North Carolina.  Two JLUR and a Cherokee go Beach Camping 1623404827673

Sponsored

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
By the time we got down to our camp spot, the sun was getting low and dinner was started.
Jeep Wrangler JL Cape Lookout on the Outer Banks of North Carolina.  Two JLUR and a Cherokee go Beach Camping 1623405545831

Friends of ours wanted to start overloading and this is their first trip of camping on the beach in their new Trail Hawk Cherokee. They came home from this trip and ditched the tent and bought a small off road camper.

Jeep Wrangler JL Cape Lookout on the Outer Banks of North Carolina.  Two JLUR and a Cherokee go Beach Camping 1623405692025

We camp about 1/2 mile from the southern most point. Drive out to the point for sunset. It did not disappoint.

Jeep Wrangler JL Cape Lookout on the Outer Banks of North Carolina.  Two JLUR and a Cherokee go Beach Camping 1623405786183

The ocean water just wraps around three sides of the point...Duh and makes for a great place to watch the sun go down.
Jeep Wrangler JL Cape Lookout on the Outer Banks of North Carolina.  Two JLUR and a Cherokee go Beach Camping 1623405886388

Jeep Wrangler JL Cape Lookout on the Outer Banks of North Carolina.  Two JLUR and a Cherokee go Beach Camping 1623405960864

Jeep Wrangler JL Cape Lookout on the Outer Banks of North Carolina.  Two JLUR and a Cherokee go Beach Camping 1623405994272

Jeep Wrangler JL Cape Lookout on the Outer Banks of North Carolina.  Two JLUR and a Cherokee go Beach Camping 1623406039803

Jeep Wrangler JL Cape Lookout on the Outer Banks of North Carolina.  Two JLUR and a Cherokee go Beach Camping 1623406099893

Jeep Wrangler JL Cape Lookout on the Outer Banks of North Carolina.  Two JLUR and a Cherokee go Beach Camping 1623406149375

Jeep Wrangler JL Cape Lookout on the Outer Banks of North Carolina.  Two JLUR and a Cherokee go Beach Camping 1623406216041

There is more to come.

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
That night, we got out the flashlights, headed to the edge of the ocean and looked for crabs. They were everywhere.

Jeep Wrangler JL Cape Lookout on the Outer Banks of North Carolina.  Two JLUR and a Cherokee go Beach Camping 1623434134170

We caught some crabs, but let them go.
Jeep Wrangler JL Cape Lookout on the Outer Banks of North Carolina.  Two JLUR and a Cherokee go Beach Camping 1623434188068

Jeep Wrangler JL Cape Lookout on the Outer Banks of North Carolina.  Two JLUR and a Cherokee go Beach Camping 1623434209488

Then headed back to camp and watched the blood moon rise.
Jeep Wrangler JL Cape Lookout on the Outer Banks of North Carolina.  Two JLUR and a Cherokee go Beach Camping 1623434294625

the following morning, I shot a panoramic shot and caught the sunrise and the moon in the same shot. You may have to expand the photo to see the moon. The moon is above the rear of the Jeep and just right of the Jeep.
Jeep Wrangler JL Cape Lookout on the Outer Banks of North Carolina.  Two JLUR and a Cherokee go Beach Camping 1623434486729

The walk along the beach was incredible at sunrise.
Jeep Wrangler JL Cape Lookout on the Outer Banks of North Carolina.  Two JLUR and a Cherokee go Beach Camping 1623434615780

Jeep Wrangler JL Cape Lookout on the Outer Banks of North Carolina.  Two JLUR and a Cherokee go Beach Camping 1623434674197

Jeep Wrangler JL Cape Lookout on the Outer Banks of North Carolina.  Two JLUR and a Cherokee go Beach Camping 1623434772894

Some of the designs in the sand that were left behind by the tide were cool.
Jeep Wrangler JL Cape Lookout on the Outer Banks of North Carolina.  Two JLUR and a Cherokee go Beach Camping 1623434887556

Jeep Wrangler JL Cape Lookout on the Outer Banks of North Carolina.  Two JLUR and a Cherokee go Beach Camping 1623434974456

Sometimes the surf was up high on the beach.
Jeep Wrangler JL Cape Lookout on the Outer Banks of North Carolina.  Two JLUR and a Cherokee go Beach Camping 1623435198212

Jeep Wrangler JL Cape Lookout on the Outer Banks of North Carolina.  Two JLUR and a Cherokee go Beach Camping 1623435265180

the next sunset I tried to capture the back wash on the beach some.
Jeep Wrangler JL Cape Lookout on the Outer Banks of North Carolina.  Two JLUR and a Cherokee go Beach Camping 1623435406379

Jeep Wrangler JL Cape Lookout on the Outer Banks of North Carolina.  Two JLUR and a Cherokee go Beach Camping 1623435466325

Jeep Wrangler JL Cape Lookout on the Outer Banks of North Carolina.  Two JLUR and a Cherokee go Beach Camping 1623435551367

Jeep Wrangler JL Cape Lookout on the Outer Banks of North Carolina.  Two JLUR and a Cherokee go Beach Camping 1623435628523

and one for the duck that we picked up.
Jeep Wrangler JL Cape Lookout on the Outer Banks of North Carolina.  Two JLUR and a Cherokee go Beach Camping 1623435707366

Morning coffee on the beach with Jeeps and great friends. Life is good.
Jeep Wrangler JL Cape Lookout on the Outer Banks of North Carolina.  Two JLUR and a Cherokee go Beach Camping 1623435827549

While doing our morning hike, I found a shell tree.... or at least that's what I am calling it.
Jeep Wrangler JL Cape Lookout on the Outer Banks of North Carolina.  Two JLUR and a Cherokee go Beach Camping 1623435915847

anyone know this JLUR. It was parked next to me when we returned from visiting the lighthouse.
Jeep Wrangler JL Cape Lookout on the Outer Banks of North Carolina.  Two JLUR and a Cherokee go Beach Camping 1623436049109

Jeep Wrangler JL Cape Lookout on the Outer Banks of North Carolina.  Two JLUR and a Cherokee go Beach Camping 1623436185312

Jeep Wrangler JL Cape Lookout on the Outer Banks of North Carolina.  Two JLUR and a Cherokee go Beach Camping 1623436142569

More to come with some GoPro videos. Wait until you see the stupidest guy on the island.

MSparks909

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 3.0
I live about 45 minutes from there. Fished there this weekend. Great spot! I also highly recommend Ocracoke if you haven’t been. Not as busy as Hatteras/Nags Head and still has the quiet beach town feel.

Sponsored

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
We may very well end up buying a 2nd home in North Carolina. Both of my sons will live there soon. One already lives there and the other will be moving there in February.

Okay here is a short video of possibly the dumbest guy on the island that day. He was running his truck up and down the beach in the surf. I was giggling and gave him the thumbs up while capturing it with my GoPRo. He stopped and offered me a ride. I thought for sure he was going to swamp his truck in the ocean. I am sure this will be a good truck to buy in a few years. I am pretty sure that salt water is hard on all the electric components and the truck in general.

Pepe My Little Mule

First Name
J.D.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Jeep 4.7L; 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys
We may very well end up buying a 2nd home in North Carolina. Both of my sons will live there soon. One already lives there and the other will be moving there in February.

Okay here is a short video of possibly the dumbest guy on the island that day. He was running his truck up and down the beach in the surf. I was giggling and gave him the thumbs up while capturing it with my GoPRo. He stopped and offered me a ride. I thought for sure he was going to swamp his truck in the ocean. I am sure this will be a good truck to buy in a few years. I am pretty sure that salt water is hard on all the electric components and the truck in general.
Hope he leased that truck! Did look kinda fun...

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation

Roverboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
What a beautiful spot. Thanks for sharing!

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
I was stationed in Fort Macon with the Coast Guard back in 2002. Spent many nights around Cape Lookout watching stars from the 47’ motor lifeboat. I have climbed the lighthouse many times! Still vacation there every year. What a great trip!

Sponsored

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Cape Lookout is an amazing place. I hope to go back.

Slippery Pete

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUW XR 2.0T
Been going there for years. Good times. It does get windy tho.
Sponsored