Sponsored

Who else besides me got eTorque and didn't know what they bought?

Pegleg

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Occupation
Vice President - Woburn Sportsmen's Association
I'm 60 and have always driven 4x4 trucks. Toyota for the last 20 years and Chevys before that. Never considered a Jeep and the Wrangler was an impulse buy. Mostly because my 17 year old daughter convinced us we should get one cause the're cool and will be a lot of fun.

So we were looking at them and I asked the sales guy about the VVT eTorque upgrade and what is was. He said variable value timing. Now I know what that is so I'm thinking to myself I can't believe the base 3.6 doesn't have VVT. I know I want VVT and the 8 speed.

It wasn't until after I got the Wrangler and did some research that I realized what eTorque was. I felt like a noob but I was glad I got it.
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Donā€™t feel bad. FCAā€™s marketing of eTorque is a case study on how NOT to launch a new product.

FCA tossed eTorque into the market with hardly any explanation. And whatever little info it shared, it focused on explaining how it works, not on what benefits it provides to consumers.

A lot of Wrangler buyers express reluctance to getting eTorque not because thereā€™s anything wrong with it, but because they donā€™t know what it is or does. Fortunately, the vast majority of posts by those who got it are very positive.

After having replaced the auxiliary battery on my 2018 JL V6, I look forward to getting eTorque next time around.

Honestly, that silly auxiliary battery seems like a 1970s solution to a 21st century problem. šŸ˜«

OP
OP
Pegleg

Pegleg

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Occupation
Vice President - Woburn Sportsmen's Association
Going in very uneducated on Wranglers I am not unhappy with what we bought. About the only thing I really wish I had gotten was the tow package.

I did know one thing. I knew the 3.6 was a proven engine that had been around for a while and the 2.0T was fairly new. I am always of the thought displacement is better than a turbo, feel free to disagree, so given that I had decided I wanted the 3.6.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Donā€™t feel bad. FCAā€™s marketing of eTorque is a case study on how NOT to launch a new product.

FCA tossed eTorque into the market with hardly any explanation. And whatever little info it shared, it focused on explaining how it works, not on what benefits it provides to consumers.
You're absolutely right. I've been looking at Rams and saw eTorque on a few and had no idea what it was. When I looked it up on FCA's pages it just explains how it works. Okay, but WHAT is it.
It took a few youtube videos to more accurately explain it. FCA really dropped the ball on that one. I think it could really help sales if they explained it better.
For me the biggest incentive is that it's supposed to make the shifts smother, and the ESS works better. I really like that you wouldn't hear start up every time. That annoys me for some reason.

On a side note, I didn't know the new JL's had eTorque until I saw this thread. FCA really should market this better.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Like you I have had nothing but 4x4 trucks, mostly RAM diesels with a smattering of F150 eco boosts. So I didnā€™t have an aversion to turbos myself and didnā€™t know the 2.0 or etorque was new. It seemed more peppy than the non turbo v6 and of the vehicles on the lot, it had the other features we wanted. I was very impressed with how smooth the ESS was after having some other vehicles with it that were not smooth at all. Didnā€™t learn until recently that itā€™s the etorque that makes it smooth, non-etorque engines seem to leave people dissatisfied with ESS. I havenā€™t found myself ever wishing I had more power when off-road or passing on the freeway... I love it and expect the v6 version is great as well.

BTW the 2.0T is only new to the Jeep. FCA uses it in Alfa Romeos so I basically have a brick shaped sports carā€¦ ;)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/FCA_Global_Medium_Engine

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
It was originally lost on me the 4xe uses a modified version of eTorque as one of the two electric motors.

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Letā€™s wait until the warranty is up on the E torque šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£šŸ˜‚. I specifically bought my simple V6 without E torque. Time will tell. Itā€™s so funny when people say I bought the e torque because I didnā€™t wanna mess with a simple cheap motorcycle battery so I bought a expensive hard to replace $2000 battery. LOL Good thinking.
FYI they all have two batteries now. Regular and cheap/Regular and super expensive. I chose regular and cheap

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
Interesting discussion... I have a 2015 Cherokee Trailhawk with ESS, it has one large battery and the ESS works much battery than our 2018 JLU?? Still original battery with over 5 years and 55k, time I expect to think about replacing. Costs so far looks like about $200. plus or minus.

Jeep what were you thinking with a two battery set up on our JL and the fellow above speaking of a $2000. replacement????

Go Jeep!!!

Sponsored

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
I specifically bought a 2021 3.6 because it came with e torque. Dont want to mess with all the problems the small aux battery has. ESS is super smooth too.
FYI they all have two batteries now. Regular and cheap/Regular and super expensive. I chose regular and cheap You chose regular and super expensive. Like I said letā€™s wait till the warranty runs out. LOL Youā€™re right yours doesnā€™t have the small cheap aux battery $100 That you can buy anywhere. You have the special e torque Jeep battery thatā€™s $2000 which you can only get from jeep. When the warranty runs out one of us will be paying much more than the other.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
You're absolutely right. I've been looking at Rams and saw eTorque on a few and had no idea what it was. When I looked it up on FCA's pages it just explains how it works. Okay, but WHAT is it.
It took a few youtube videos to more accurately explain it. FCA really dropped the ball on that one. I think it could really help sales if they explained it better.
For me the biggest incentive is that it's supposed to make the shifts smother, and the ESS works better. I really like that you wouldn't hear start up every time. That annoys me for some reason.

On a side note, I didn't know the new JL's had eTorque until I saw this thread. FCA really should market this better.
Yeah. FCA can do Super Bowl ads like no one else. But they totally suck when it comes to the day-to-day marketing that helps sell the product.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Letā€™s wait until the warranty is up on the E torque šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£šŸ˜‚. I specifically bought my simple V6 without E torque. Time will tell. Itā€™s so funny when people say I bought the e torque because I didnā€™t wanna mess with a simple cheap motorcycle battery so I bought a expensive hard to replace $2000 battery. LOL Good thinking.
FYI they all have two batteries now. Regular and cheap/Regular and super expensive. I chose regular and cheap
So far eTorqueā€™s track record appears to be a lot more reliable than EcoDieselā€™s.

Papa Jawa

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Recon, 99 Miata, 90 Silverado
I'm 60 and have always driven 4x4 trucks. Toyota for the last 20 years and Chevys before that. Never considered a Jeep and the Wrangler was an impulse buy. Mostly because my 17 year old daughter convinced us we should get one cause the're cool and will be a lot of fun.

So we were looking at them and I asked the sales guy about the VVT eTorque upgrade and what is was. He said variable value timing. Now I know what that is so I'm thinking to myself I can't believe the base 3.6 doesn't have VVT. I know I want VVT and the 8 speed.

It wasn't until after I got the Wrangler and did some research that I realized what eTorque was. I felt like a noob but I was glad I got it.
I really think etorque is specific to the 4xe. Here me out. It is the key to the 4xe charging system. I believe the 2.0 TT Etorque wrangler was a test platform. It worked and supported the Wrangler perfectly and generated the juice to sustain the 4xe. JL 4xe is released and the 2.0 etorque disappears.

Part 2: enter the 3.6 etorque wrangler. Another test, but this is because the gladiator and other platforms. Didnā€™t test on anything else because the high volume is JL.

Part 3: anybody shop for a Ram lately? 5.7 etorque Hemi.

Part 4: with a 2.0 TT, 3.6, and 5.7 etorque they can convert ever FCA Telantis vehicle to hybrid.

just a thought.
Sponsored