Sponsored

How much below invoice on a JLU Rubicon is a great deal?

GeeGuid

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500, Rubi
I just sold my 2014 Sahara and looking at buying or ordering a 2021 Sahara altittude. I am in Mississippi. Out of the 3 dealers I have talked with, one was invoice plus $300 and 2 are sticker minus $500. Any idea of a delaership I could go to to get under invoice pricing? Do not mind traveling within reason. One dealership got the exact jeep I want (White Sahara altitude with Sky one-touch) with all the options I want in last Friday so they have not paid any interest with it sitting on the lot but they marked it up $595 over sticker price for dealer prep and only want to give $500 off that price. Any help would be appreciated!
I went through Mike Clinnin in Atlanta (Mall of Georgia). Outstanding experience and not a bad drive from OS, MS.
Sponsored

FinnCustomKnives

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon Ecodiesel
Gupton Motors in Springfield TN is still discounting 2021s if you order. 7%-8%. below invoice PLUS a $499 DOC fee on ordered Wranglers with a $1000 NON-REFUNDABLE deposit. The doc fee is a little high so take that into consideration. For the most part it's still currently one of the best discounts in the nation.

I emailed Danial at Gupton Motors a couple of days ago and he replied promptly. Very professonal. He said they have no plans to change their discounts. Hopefully the 2022s are discounted the same.

Their discount % below invoice on ORDERED Wranglers.
6% std disc below inv
7% with tread lightly
8% tread lightly & finance (must finance at least $10K and make 3 payments before paying off)
$499 dealer fee

[email protected]
615-384-2886
Gupton took amazing care of us, I can't sing their praises enough! 8% under invoice, approximately 13% under MSRP, no surprises, no upselling, better finance rate than Jeep was offering, 5 weeks from order to delivery, and literally zero haggling and order was placed after 2nd email.

The ONLY "bad" I can say is that I specifically requested as little PDI as possible. No scratch o'matic dealer wash, leave any protection in place, etc. Unfortunately that memo must have gotten lost because it did get washed, and thus swirled a liitle bit, and there was zero protective covers left anywhere. Minor stuff but it was the only negative from the experience I can come up with.

OP
OP
Jeepster21

Jeepster21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Was at the local dealership the other day and JLU inventory was nearly non-existent.

Should be interesting if things improve with the 2022s.

Glad I got mine when I did, still cannot get over 9% below invoice, think I just made the cutoff.

BobT

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Shaker, 2013 Dart
My goodness, with zero Jeeps on the lot in my neighborhood, I thought paying invoice along with supplier discount was satisfying.
My discount is"pay one percent below invoice" which is stackable with military and student.
I know, go somewhere else, but for routine service I still need to keep good relationship.
One other thing though, it's a Rubicon 392, so a bit less squabble room.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Was at the local dealership the other day and JLU inventory was nearly non-existent.

Should be interesting if things improve with the 2022s.

Glad I got mine when I did, still cannot get over 9% below invoice, think I just made the cutoff.
Since the JL's introduction I don't think anyone got a legitimate 9% below invoice without Direct Marketing, Military, dealer coupon, questionable fiancing, trade-in, front or backend products, end of model year incentives, etc. The extra 1%-2% incentive at the end of the model year is is nice but not really a great deal because of depreciation. That 1%-2% of incentive does not make up for a full year of depreciation. The only way it makes sense for someone is if they plan on keeping the vehicle a LONG lime where residuals and depreciation would be less important. I doubt we see any "end of the year" incentives for 2021s considering the shortages.

A true 7% under invoice is even really-really-really good. And very rare. I mean taking all fees like all the different DOC fees into consideration. No trades, cash deals without points for taking financing.

6%-6.5% under invoice is probably the real max discount if you strip away all the Doc fees and did a pure cash , no trade, no front or back-end products deal.

High volume FCA dealers ocassionaly get manufacturers coupons for like $500 to help move dogs or to cut a deal to make a monthly quota. They can apply the coupon to help close a deal but I doubt many dealers would use them on Wranglers. Not unless some VERY lucky customer happen to want the one vehicle they needed to make their quota for the month at the last hour. Something like a black base , stripper, JL with roll up windows and no A/C in Aug in AZ.

Last edited:

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My goodness, with zero Jeeps on the lot in my neighborhood, I thought paying invoice along with supplier discount was satisfying.
My discount is"pay one percent below invoice" which is stackable with military and student.
I know, go somewhere else, but for routine service I still need to keep good relationship.
One other thing though, it's a Rubicon 392, so a bit less squabble room.
I think that's a good deal if it's a in stock Hemi you can drive off the lot without waiting.

OP
OP
Jeepster21

Jeepster21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Yes that's one of the great things with the JLU how the depreciation is so amazing almost non-existent. If anything they appreciate :)

Retail was $61,000 and then dealer took off 8.4% from invoice, no military discount, financing incentives etc.

Really comes down to each individual dealership as to how much they're wanting and willing to move vehicle.

Since the JL's introduction I don't think anyone got a legitimate 9% below invoice without Direct Marketing, Military, dealer coupon, questionable fiancing, trade-in, front or backend products, end of model year incentives, etc. The extra 1%-2% incentive at the end of the model year is is nice but not really a great deal because of depreciation. That 1%-2% of incentive does not make up for a full year of depreciation. The only way it makes sense for someone is if they plan on keeping the vehicle a LONG lime where residuals and depreciation would be less important. I doubt we see any "end of the year" incentives for 2021s considering the shortages.

A true 7% under invoice is even really-really-really good. And very rare. I mean taking all fees like all the different DOC fees into consideration. No trades, cash deals without points for taking financing.

6%-6.5% under invoice is probably the real max discount if you strip away all the Doc fees and did a pure cash , no trade, no front or back-end products deal.

High volume FCA dealers ocassionaly get manufacturers coupons for like $500 to help move dogs or to cut a deal to make a monthly quota. They can apply the coupon to help close a deal but I doubt many dealers would use them on Wranglers. Not unless some VERY lucky customer happen to want the one vehicle they needed to make their quota for the month at the last hour. Something like a black base , stripper, JL with roll up windows and no A/C in Aug in AZ.

OP
OP
Jeepster21

Jeepster21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Has anyone had much luck lately getting a good deal on a JLU?

With changeover to the 2022 model and inventory still being unbelievably low I can't imagine there's that grade of a deal out there at this time in the market.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Has anyone had much luck lately getting a good deal on a JLU?

With changeover to the 2022 model and inventory still being unbelievably low I can't imagine there's that grade of a deal out there at this time in the market.
There are several dealers still selling for substantially under invoice.

Gupton Motors in Springfield TN is about 45-1 hour from Nashville. They are selling ordered JLUs for 6%,7%,8% UNDER INVOICE depending on if you have Affiliate and if you want to use their financing.

Check and see if your employer is a Affiliate. Or join Tread Lightly if they are not or if you are self employed. It's $100 donation and it's for a excellent cause. It's a win-win. You do have to be a active member of TL for 30 days at the actual time of delivery. That usually works out because it takes time to produce your Wrangler after you order. That time can easily be 30 days or more. Ocassionally it takes less than 30 days to deliver. My '19JLR only took 11 days from ordering to delivery. I doubt that is the case today with all of the shortages. You can just wait for the remaining days to count down before taking delivery if that happens.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeepster21

Jeepster21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Yeah there seems to be a few dealers here or there across the country but the days of everybody kind of at that same price seems to have gone from where it was 6 to 8 months ago unfortunately.

That's the other catch too is you have to be affiliated in order to get some of those discounts but still believe the best approach is work with an individual dealer and generally if you're serious enough and you're able to work through it and they're able to deal on it you can easily get a good deal of 7 to 9% easily.

At least that was the situation in my case where the vehicle had a little bit more on it but actually saved money with the discount given that it was higher price than what I was initially looking at.

Leather seats, skyroof, body colored roof, upgraded stereo system all the safety equipment and options available.

There are several dealers still selling for substantially under invoice.

Gupton Motors in Springfield TN is about 45-1 hour from Nashville. They are selling ordered JLUs for 6%,7%,8% UNDER INVOICE depending on if you have Affiliate and if you want to use their financing.

Check and see if your employer is a Affiliate. Or join Tread Lightly if they are not or if you are self employed. It's $100 donation and it's for a excellent cause. It's a win-win. You do have to be a active member of TL for 30 days at the actual time of delivery. That usually works out because it takes time to produce your Wrangler after you order. That time can easily be 30 days or more. Ocassionally it takes less than 30 days to deliver. My '19JLR only took 11 days from ordering to delivery. I doubt that is the case today with all of the shortages. You can just wait for the remaining days to count down before taking delivery if that happens.

Ratiogear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
The deals are still available, but only on custom orders. That's usually the case. Getting a below invoice price on lot vehicles is much more difficult but still doable.

But just celebrate getting below invoice and celebrate those who don't, because they are the ones enabling you to buy your vehicle at this cost. I only got 4% below invoice. After dealer fees, comparing it to the window sticker I just got, I'll be paying 12% under MSRP (before tax credit, because it's a 4xe)

TheRealTVGuy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.MyVillageRadio.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
The deals are still available, but only on custom orders. That's usually the case. Getting a below invoice price on lot vehicles is much more difficult but still doable.

But just celebrate getting below invoice and celebrate those who don't, because they are the ones enabling you to buy your vehicle at this cost. I only got 4% below invoice. After dealer fees, comparing it to the window sticker I just got, I'll be paying 12% under MSRP (before tax credit, because it's a 4xe)
Was this from Gupton? I’ll be in the market to order a 4xe later this year & am trying to figure out the best plan of attack.

Ratiogear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Was this from Gupton? I’ll be in the market to order a 4xe later this year & am trying to figure out the best plan of attack.
Neil Carpenter @ Demontrond. Looking back I'd probably do Gupton.

Neil has been great, and Demontrond is closer to me, but the only logical reason I can see for my order taking a full 9 weeks to make it to shipping while others who ordered way after me and got their vehicles at the dealership in 3-6 weeks is that there aren't enough orders being shipped to TX. That's the only logical reason I can see for the difference in time, unless they are truly picking vins from a hat. Seems like Gupton is truly doing the bulk necessary to get priority in build and shipping times, but that could just be me seeing patterns to make sense of Jeep's shenanigans.

dalloway

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I just finished a nationwide search for the best dealer price on a factory build JLU Rubicon. (Thanks to all who posted on this forum! Your intel was very helpful.) Here’s what I learned in my search:

Just because the used car market is nuts right now and the dealer lot inventory is low does NOT mean that you need to pay invoice (or above) on a factory order. If a sales manager tell you that it does, go somewhere else.

As has been noted elsewhere on the forum, the TreadLightly 1% below invoice is the price *ceiling* on a factory order. You shouldn’t have to pay above that. While not all dealers will honor the TreadLightly pricing, most should. They get a kickback from Jeep to participate.

As also noted above in the thread: since factory orders are currently taking about 5-7 weeks for delivery, if you join TreadLightly on the same day as you order your vehicle, you should have at least the required 30 days between joining and purchasing your vehicle. (FCA requires that 30 day waiting period to use the TreadLightly affiliate number.)

Because of the chip shortage, the remote proximity keyless entry ‘option’ ($580 at invoice) is not currently optional when you factory order a Rubi. This is true nationwide: whether you want that option or not, Jeep will require you to add it to your order. Presumably, Jeep is currently limited to manufacturing with modules that include the remote proximity circuitry.

The ‘floor’—or lowest price nationwide I was able to find through a high-volume dealership—is 7% below invoice at Gupton Motors outside of Nashville, TN. (Daniel is the internet sales manager there.) This discount includes the 1% for TreadLightly—and also has the advantage of letting you bring your own financing or pay cash. The dealer fee here ($500) is also lower than some other high-volume dealerships.

Next lowest nationwide was 6.5% below invoice at Koons in VA. (Craig Benner is the internet sale manager there.) That discount includes TreadLightly—and also requires that you finance with Chrysler. If you bring your own financing, the discount off invoice gets reduced by $1k. The dealer fee at Koons is also higher than some other places ($899).

The price I actually went with was 4% below invoice at Fort Collins Jeep in CO, where I live. (James Mcintyre is the internet sales manager. He was professional, straightforward, and easy to work with.) That discount includes TreadLightly. This pricing allows me to pay cash or bring my own financing. Dealer fee is $699.

So in answer to the question that prompted this thread: if you’re willing to shop around (and possibly fly to pick up your vehicle or have your vehicle shipped to you), a good price on a JLU Rubi is between 1%-7% off invoice. With a little shopping, you should be able to land in that range. Using information about where the high-volume dealers are selling at nationally can help you in your negotiation with dealers who may be closer to you.
Sponsored