Sponsored

Snow Stories .... How has your JL beasted through some of the white stuff??

thegame81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xtreme Recon 392
Clubs

So one guilty pleasure I have for some strange reason is I love driving in the snow. Hell I even love watching youtube videos of Jeeps driving in snow and weather that other vehicles would have trouble with. I would love to hear from those that do drive in snow storms and bad weather some of your Hero Jeep stories and how it may get you to where you need to be when another vehicle may have failed. I have a fairly long story about my introduction to Jeep and how it began for me. Figured maybe some would find it interesting and want to add their own tale. To be fair the Jeep I am referencing in this story was a JK and not a JL because it took place almost 9 years ago. I am kind of going back to the start though because I have a firecracker red 392 on order and I cannot wait to make new cool memories with that monster.

Many moons ago, I had a Nissan Maxima and one late October evening while at work, we got hit with a crazy snowstorm that included high winds/hail and fast accumulating snow. Due to many of the leaves still being on the trees in October, the snow/ice and wind created terrible road conditions. The snow was coming down fast and hard by the hour. I was younger then and at my job (at the time) they were very strict about anyone leaving early for any reason. Every hour that passed I got more concerned looking out the window and watching the conditions just get worse and worse. As usual, my timing was impeccable because not only did I have a relatively low to the ground Nissan Maxima with crappy all season tires, but I also had a donut on one of the tires!! This was going to be fun…

Getting out of work I remember walking to my car and just thinking this is going to be a disaster. I lived about 40 minutes away. The trip home included many backroads and a few highways. Just seemed like an impossible journey I was about to undertake. I cleaned my car off which took quite some time and started my drive home! Even getting out of the parking lot took a while lol I was sliding and just had no traction or confidence that I would not get stuck at any second or end up in a ditch somewhere. I made it about a few short white-knuckle miles and after getting stuck multiple times, finally got to the road I needed in order to hit the first highway. On that road there was a very small tree down. Nothing crazy but certainly too big for my maxima with a donut on it to try and climb over. I now clearly knew there was no chance I was making it home that night. I contemplated trying to make it back to the office as I could sleep there but I was not even sure with the conditions worsening that I COULD make it back. There were a lot of cars stuck on the road and it was just getting worse and worse by the minute. I thought of my mom telling me like ten times GET YOUR TIRE FIXED! Yea mom I’ll get around to it!! What an idiot I was lol to be fair, even without the donut it is highly unlikely that Maxima had any chance to get me home that night. I ended up making it into a store parking lot and that is where I parked and slept that night!!

After this experience I said to myself I want to get a vehicle that I can take through a situation like that and feel confident and comfortable the next time that happened. I started researching the most capable inclement weather and off roading vehicles. The Grand Cherokee and the Jeep Wrangler both kept coming up. It seemed more people agreed the Wrangler was the most capable jeep and after watching many rock crawling videos (knowing I would never do that shit anyway) lol I decided to purchase one. I bought a brand new 4 door red 2012 JK Jeep Wrangler Sport S. I even put a AEV 2.5 inch lift, AEV wheels and 35 inch Duratracs. I WAS READY FOR THE NEXT STORM!! I didn’t have to wait that long because in January we got a hell of a snow storm that started when I got into work and the forecast had said it would snow all day and bring down around a foot or more of snow. I looked at my Jeep from the window that day at work all day and watched the big red machine getting covered in snow! I was giddy like a child on Christmas morning for my workday to end and have a rematch vs old man winter.

I took my last break that day around 5pm and went outside to clean off the Jeep so when 6pm came, I could simply get in and drive. I looked at my new favorite toy and its bright red paint and huge wheels while knocking the snow off of it and really did feel excited to give this another go! No concern or fear this time around but just plain excitement. Having the right vehicle was definitely easier on the mind. At 5:45pm from my office window I hit my remote start button and watched it fire up in the chilly winter night. I saw the daytime running lights pop on like an invitation saying “come on let’s go kick some ass!!” I walked out at 6pm into the freezing snowy night and got in my toasty warm jeep! Felt cozy and I threw her in 4X4 HI. I backed out and through the snow without any drama at all. Within a few short minutes I had already made it to where I previously failed and slept in my maxima. This Jeep was just ripping through these road conditions. I did see other cars stuck the same as I was last time and thought these people should consider Jeeps! I had my heated seat on/heated steering wheel and hit the highway (which was not plowed by the way) or at least had not been plowed within the last few hours. The jeep simply kicked ass and got me home and blasted through everything. It was a beast, and I could not have been more thrilled with my purchase. Few quick pics of my hero back then!

Jeep Wrangler JL Snow Stories .... How has your JL beasted through some of the white stuff?? jk1

Jeep Wrangler JL Snow Stories .... How has your JL beasted through some of the white stuff?? jk2 (2)
Sponsored

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
When I saw "How has your JL beasted through some of the white stuff", I thought it was finally socially acceptable to get Pixel Decals to make my "Cocainemobile" hood decal in Rubicon font. But alas....

OP
OP
thegame81

thegame81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xtreme Recon 392
Clubs

When I saw "How has your JL beasted through some of the white stuff", I thought it was finally socially acceptable to get Pixel Decals to make my "Cocainemobile" hood decal in Rubicon font. But alas....
lol hey life is short David just get the decal.

Sponsored

MrGneissGuy

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
That might be considered probably cause. :LOL:

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
Hey, @DHW If you'll run it, I'll make it
Actually "Cocainicon" is much better. Or "Blowab Edition". Thank God I waited to get the decal.

@thegame81 apologies for hijacking your thread, but man did you ever set it up with that title!!

JeepVT

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
I live in VT and my new JLURD will never, ever see snow. Salt on roads eats Jeep for lunch up here.

Reactions: VNT

Sponsored

OP
OP
thegame81

thegame81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xtreme Recon 392
Clubs

I live in VT and my new JLURD will never, ever see snow. Salt on roads eats Jeep for lunch up here.
Well to each their own but you can just wash it and spray underneath or you can always do a ceramic coating. lol it's a Jeep not a Ferrari. I love driving through deep snow!

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
We had 18+ inches overnight in March … only my neighbour’s jacked up RAM and I made it out with ease. It truly impressed me how easy it dealt with it. I did have new Blizzaks on it, which helped.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I originally got into Jeeps due to snow. I live in Phoenix now, but moved down after 20 years in the Colorado Rockies. 8,200' elevation and 19'/year of snow. Jeeps (Wranglers ands GCs) negotiated the conditions fine. Nearly EVERY household had at least one Jeep. Subarus were the second most popular brand.
Sponsored