Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
That animated gif shows the JK mount, which differs from the item offered for the JL.
Strange that it’s on the jl version web page. But nothing surprises me anymore...lol
Sponsored

CloakedJL

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
metalcloak.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Sales/Tech Support- Metalcloak
I just installed the 3.5 Gamechanger with Rocksport shocks. I have 4.75" backspacing on my wheels and I am not incurring any rubbing. I was told if you have a Rubicon their axles are slightly wider and therefore a slightly higher backspacing will be okay. Anything more than 4.75" I cannot comment on.
This is correct. With the Rubicon having a slightly wider axle a 4.75" will be just fine. Anymore than that you do risk starting to rub the wheel into the Outboard mounts. My personal JLUR is on 17" Methods with 4.75" backspace running 38s with no rubbing issues. (Profile Pic)

-Jon

B_AIRS

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sr. Applications Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
This is correct. With the Rubicon having a slightly wider axle a 4.75" will be just fine. Anymore than that you do risk starting to rub the wheel into the Outboard mounts. My personal JLUR is on 17" Methods with 4.75" backspace running 38s with no rubbing issues. (Profile Pic)

-Jon
Thank you for the confirmation Jon.

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

-Jon
Hey Jon, got a question.... you guys use the same rock sport shock for both 2.5 and 3.5”lifts, right? If so which lift are they set for. In other words, if they’re set up for the 3.5 then when used on the 2.5 they’re slightly compressed, but if they’re set for the 2.5 then when used for the 3.5 they’d be slightly extended. Which way is it, or am I not thinking right ? Thanks ...... sorry op for derailment.

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I wonder if the up and out or the out but not up relocation brackets could be matched to help the shock travel match the two different spring extension capabilities?

CloakedJL

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
metalcloak.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Hey Jon, got a question.... you guys use the same rock sport shock for both 2.5 and 3.5”lifts, right? If so which lift are they set for. In other words, if they’re set up for the 3.5 then when used on the 2.5 they’re slightly compressed, but if they’re set for the 2.5 then when used for the 3.5 they’d be slightly extended. Which way is it, or am I not thinking right ? Thanks ...... sorry op for derailment.
With the coil lengths being right about identical the shocks are really made for both. It is one of the advantages of the Dual-Rate design. We can go up or down in height without having to change the length of the coil

OP
OP
OGPizzaBoy

OGPizzaBoy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Appreciate everyone's thoughts, and thank you Jon for coming over to clear up the spacer question. Much appreciated!

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
With the coil lengths being right about identical the shocks are really made for both. It is one of the advantages of the Dual-Rate design. We can go up or down in height without having to change the length of the coil
So you change heights with spring rate?

Sponsored

CloakedJL

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
metalcloak.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
So you change heights with spring rate?
To an extent, not really changing the rates, but by changing how much of each rate is used. For example a 3.5" coil will have more of the higher rate lower coil wraps, and less of the upper softer wraps. While a 2.5" coil might take one of those wraps that was at the higher rate and move it to the lower rate, thus bringing the height down.

That is the pretty basic way of explaining it and not always right on the nose, but more or less how we can have the same lengths but different heights

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
To an extent, not really changing the rates, but by changing how much of each rate is used. For example a 3.5" coil will have more of the higher rate lower coil wraps, and less of the upper softer wraps. While a 2.5" coil might take one of those wraps that was at the higher rate and move it to the lower rate, thus bringing the height down.

That is the pretty basic way of explaining it and not always right on the nose, but more or less how we can have the same lengths but different heights
Thanks... I get that it’s classified, I mean how do you know, I could be a RK spy....😎..........🤣

CloakedJL

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
metalcloak.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Thanks... I get that it’s classified, I mean how do you know, I could be a RK spy....😎..........🤣
😂😂😂 More like I know my limits of trying to explain things and know when to leave certain things up to an engineer to explain. LOL

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
...not really changing the rates, but by changing how much of each rate is used...
That seems like a brilliant way to ensure that the 2.5" springs do not fall out of the jeep when it has been outfitted with the same shocks, and linkages, that are utilized with the 3.5" package.

Thank you for explaining.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Well that causes a little confusion then. When anyone pops on here with my lift is not level either front to back or side to side the suggestion is to always look at spring length. Haha. Dang @Roky you are going to have to tell them to count coil wraps. LOL
Sponsored