Exhaust drone, just me?

Johnny cakes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 392
Noticeable exhaust drone from my new JLUR 392. Didn’t really notice it much until I hit 700 miles. Drone happens around 1500 and 2000rpms. Worse when switches to 4 cylinder mode. Anyone else with noticeable drone?
Sponsored

pnut

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392 XR
Noticeable exhaust drone from my new JLUR 392. Didn’t really notice it much until I hit 700 miles. Drone happens around 1500 and 2000rpms. Worse when switches to 4 cylinder mode. Anyone else with noticeable drone?
No drone here. Sky top. Not sure if that is a factor. That and also I close the performance exhaust at highway speeds.

Deleted member 67726

No drone here. Sky top. Not sure if that is a factor. That and also I close the performance exhaust at highway speeds.
Can I ask why? Just curious over here.

SSWIM

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
Yep. Drone sound. Not a biggie to me. Turn the lil button to off and it goes away. Is it an issue???

I think not.

Sam

Sponsored

OP
OP

Johnny cakes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 392
Yep. Drone sound. Not a biggie to me. Turn the lil button to off and it goes away. Is it an issue???

I think not.

Sam
I turn the lil button to off and it doesn’t go away though. I asked the original question because of concern that it may be an issue with my jeep.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
It might be defective. I think you need to let me have it for a couple months so that i can properly and thoroughly enjoy....er....uh......diagnose it for you.

ascuro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392, 1985 CJ7, 1975 CJ5
I turn the lil button to off and it doesn’t go away though. I asked the original question because of concern that it may be an issue with my jeep.
If you turn the exhaust on and off with no change, you might be hearing something entirely different than typical exhaust note 'drone'.

JJMalone

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392, '20 JLR, '00 TRD Tacoma
Damn, we all should have went for the 4XE instead!

Sponsored

Rob97RR

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR Rubi, 2023 C8 Corvette Z06 & 2023 Ducati
Occupation
Stay at home dad to 2 munchkins, best job in the world!
Is your exhaust sound noticeably different when you turn the exhaust switch on and off? Mine is night and day different. Wondering if there is an issue with the exhaust switching mechanism. (not sure what the method they use to switch modes is, but assuming it's some type of valve that opens and closes.) I'd say in mine, that drone is somewhat noticeable when I'm driving at a steady speed with the performance exhaust mode on, but not when it's off.

OP
OP

Johnny cakes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 392
Thanks for helpful responses. The drone is less with the performance exhaust off, similar to yours. Just wanted to make sure others are also experiencing some drone.

Deleted member 67726

When it switches from 8 to 4 cylinders, it sounds funny. Plus while I don't consider it drone, on longer drives, the quieter exhaust is a nicer, more relaxing drive.
I love to hear the exhaust fully open, except on long distance trips like you are saying, then 4 cylinder mode and quiet is definitely preferred! Haha
Sponsored