Cheap Jeep Hacks! Show 'Em Off Here!

ElDoc72

First Name
Rogelio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler unlimited Sport S
I didn’t want to spend a lot on a tailgate table, so I made one (thanks YouTube) using recycled plywood, two folding shelf brackets off Amazon and flat stock steel (I couldn’t find a “waste” piece of the correct size) off metals depot. I used the stock trail ready screw in locations to hold it in place.

A9903E28-1841-4563-B61D-80FA0029278A.jpeg

D48B8344-D4CF-4D20-A153-8D2A06652C9D.jpeg

4AF9A3D8-45D2-44D5-8913-F58B6A60D452.jpeg
Sponsored

Jerpy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
I posted this hack in another thread but it belongs here.. This hack was inspired by the almost weekly, "Dad, I dropped my phone in the gap between the seats - stop the Jeep." It also prevents other stuff from falling in there too - like the key fob or crumbs or money etc... Cut to length for both driver side and passenger side. Silent. And even matches the color of the seat/trim.

Jeep Wrangler JL Cheap Jeep Hacks! Show 'Em Off Here! 4AF9A3D8-45D2-44D5-8913-F58B6A60D452
Only had my Jeep for two weeks and already found myself cursing this tiny gap several times after dropping things down it. Thank goodness I found this post and picked up a crevasse blocking noodle per your recommendation! 🙏

Pinion

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 FJ40, 22 Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Project Manager
I didn’t want to spend a lot on a tailgate table, so I made one (thanks YouTube) using recycled plywood, two folding shelf brackets off Amazon and flat stock steel (I couldn’t find a “waste” piece of the correct size) off metals depot. I used the stock trail ready screw in locations to hold it in place.

A9903E28-1841-4563-B61D-80FA0029278A.jpeg

D48B8344-D4CF-4D20-A153-8D2A06652C9D.jpeg

4AF9A3D8-45D2-44D5-8913-F58B6A60D452.jpeg
Never argue with results. Looks great, and you did it yourself. Anyone can buy something and bolt it on.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Here is something some here might want to adopt.... a hack of sorts..

Go to Amazon or where ever and buy a two pack of 35 lb., rubber coated gun magnetic gun mount. Dimensions will be approx. 3.93"L x 1.45"W x 0.43"H .

Now, you take one of the gun mounts and place it on the bottom of the oil pan on your JL/JT.

Your JL/JT does not have a magnetic drain plug (unless you added one).

The magnet placed there will grab/hold tiny metal particles until oil change time...

Temporarily remove the magnet just before you drain the motor oil... Place the magnetic back on the oil pan after you drain it... daaahh...

Oh.. what about the other magnetic gun mount you purchased....

Well, if you are like me you work out in the garage and your hands are covered with oil and chitt lots..... your smart phone is (mine used to be) is lying somewhere in the garage... where the hell did I lay it... I need to use it ... my hands are covered with oil... I want it nearby so I can say "OK Google" and look up something part wise, etc..

Well, do as I did and place an el-cheapo, stick on metal plate in the back of your smart phone case..

Do this and you can place your smartphone on the magnetic gun mount that you have mounted (with industrial strength Velcro) on the inside wall of your garage.. I have two magnetic gun mounts in the garage. One is on a wall closest to where I wrench and the other is just outside of the garage bathroom door. (one has a smartphone power cable plugged in next to it)

Anyway, I always know when I'm in the garage that my smartphone is on one or the other magnetic gun mount.

IF, I need to Google search a part, look at an install pdf or whatever I can go to the smartphone and just tap the screen and do what I need to do..

No need to even touch the phone with my chitty hands.. and there is no chance I will fumble/drop the frigging phone.

And no, the magnetic gun mount (35# magnet) does not prevent the phone from working or cause harm to the phone...

Jeep Wrangler JL Cheap Jeep Hacks! Show 'Em Off Here! 20210616_092532

Jeep Wrangler JL Cheap Jeep Hacks! Show 'Em Off Here! 20210616_092548

Jeep Wrangler JL Cheap Jeep Hacks! Show 'Em Off Here! 3344.JPG

NoahVD

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
I always thought and used it to flip at night so headlights from other cars wont blind me
Thats a different kind of flip. The mirror flip talked about in the thread is taking the mirror and flipping it upside down. Not just the normal dimming tilt

Olga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2010 Ford Fusion
Build Thread
Link
I just put my opener in the key holder slot between the cupholders. Fits like it belongs there, no one ever notices it.
That's a nice spot, my wife puts her phone there.
The key holder slot is also perfect for a lens cap. Easy to put in, easy to take out. In my old car the lens cap usually ended up at the bottom of a cup holder, and it was very difficult to get it out.

Jeep Wrangler JL Cheap Jeep Hacks! Show 'Em Off Here! lens-cap-holder

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This hack can save you money or at least a lot of aggravation...

Regarding the JL being "water resistant" and such.... :facepalm:

Years ago with one of my JK's, I was out in the mud and got back in the Jeep and got mud all up into the OBDll port. What a mess to deal with. It's just so easy to splash / get mud into it if you tend to get out in the yuck and then jump back in and...

Anyway, since then I buy and place a General Motors, OBDll cover over the OBDll port. Yes, it fits the JL's OBDll port perfectly.

I take a 6" piece of fishing line and tie one end to the cap and the other end up above and slightly behind the OBDll port itself to a cable there. I do this so when I or a Tech remove the cap that it just dangles there until I or they put it back on the OBDll port. Thus it does not get lost.

With the cap, the OBDll port is protected.... from snow, mud, water, horse shit, etc., that might head up the OBDll ports way.

For $10.00+- , the cap is a good investment. I know getting the mud issue in the OBDll port, remedied, years ago cost me way way more the that.

Real cool custom OBDll cover with JL grill on it..

JL-Custom OBDll Cover.jpg

il_1140xN.2533043381_cdkf.jpg

https://www.etsy.com/listing/844123...wgrille-black-or?ref=shop_home_active_3&frs=1

Picture cap of below. Can be found on eBAY, etc..

Plastic Cover for OBDll Diagnostic Connector GM12146933

71SCorQNVFL._SL1500_.jpg

Just saw that an Amazon vendor is selling the Plastic Cover for OBDll Diagnostic Connector for about $6.99 with free Prime shipping..

Cheap insurance!

https://www.amazon.com/APTIV-Vehicl...d=1&keywords=obd2+cover&qid=1627217214&sr=8-1
Jeep Wrangler JL Cheap Jeep Hacks! Show 'Em Off Here! 666

Sponsored

elf883

First Name
steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JlU
Occupation
stationary engineer

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Heimkehr

All I want the cover for is to keep the dirt, mud, water, horse and cow shit out of the OBDll port..

I had an OBDll port damaged once..

That cover you linked to is an advertisement so to speak.... advertising that you have used a Tazer or other programmer or a tuner on the vehicle. I do not want that. Don't want dealer being told so to speak.... that I use a programmer....

Anyway, no way I would buy the one at your link. To each his/her own.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Done ! Thank you !
@four low

I gather that means you ordered one... 8-)

Be sure to make a tether for it with a piece of fishing line. See my earlier mention of the fishing line... otherwise you or a Tech working on your JL will remove, lay it down and lose it probably... If tethered, you can remove and drop and it just hangs there.
Sponsored