Silver Lake Dunes Michigan Interest

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
I have been wanting to take a trip up to Silver lake dunes and wanted to see if any other members wanted to meet up? I am located in Greenville, michigan at the moment, and am looking to go off roading while I’m in Michigan. Any interest?
Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I am by Lansing, when do you want to go? I have been many time.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Thinkin' about it. I've not been there but it has been on my list for awhile. What do you have to do to mount those tall flags?

Dale's Jeep

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL 4door Rubicon
Occupation
Retired U.S. Army 23 years
Man i haven't been there since i was a kid. Left Michigan when i was 19 for the Army and just moved back to Michigan 2 years ago and would love to go with knowledgeable folks to show me the ropes.

pangmaster

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Occupation
Enterprise architect
Vehicle Showcase
What do you have to do to mount those tall flags?
If you have the stock steel front bumper there is a hole you can use if you remove the “wings”. The shops there all sell mounts that clamp on the front tow hook. That works for a lot of folks. It’s just a 1/2” hole needed for the flagpole to attach to.

I would go again. Was just there last weekend for the invasion for the first time in eons. My wife drove the dunes for the first time in her Jeep too and had so much fun. So I know she’d be in too!

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
If you have the stock steel front bumper there is a hole you can use if you remove the “wings”. The shops there all sell mounts that clamp on the front tow hook. That works for a lot of folks. It’s just a 1/2” hole needed for the flagpole to attach to.

I would go again. Was just there last weekend for the invasion for the first time in eons. My wife drove the dunes for the first time in her Jeep too and had so much fun. So I know she’d be in too!
What is the minimum height for the flag? I ask because I have a couple flags we use at The Badlands. I've used that bumper hole but thought the Silver Lake flags were taller and might stress the metal around that hole. If the flags I have are tall enough, I know they won't cause an issue.

pangmaster

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Occupation
Enterprise architect
Vehicle Showcase
What is the minimum height for the flag? I ask because I have a couple flags we use at The Badlands. I've used that bumper hole but thought the Silver Lake flags were taller and might stress the metal around that hole. If the flags I have are tall enough, I know they won't cause an issue.
10'

OP
OP
lalalofsky

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
I’d want to go, never been off reading on sand before or frankly at all yet. Can i mount the flat to my plastic front bumper?

Sponsored

pangmaster

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Occupation
Enterprise architect
Vehicle Showcase
I’d want to go, never been off reading on sand before or frankly at all yet. Can i mount the flat to my plastic front bumper?
Yes, as long as you still have the front tow hooks you can buy a clamp like this that adds a mount point for the flag. The shops up there all should have these available, so you don't need to try and find it prior to arrival.

Jeep Wrangler JL Silver Lake Dunes Michigan Interest 1623619571854

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
My son is home from Japan, I may take him up there on Tuesday if any of you are free during the week.

pangmaster

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Occupation
Enterprise architect
Vehicle Showcase
My son is home from Japan, I may take him up there on Tuesday if any of you are free during the week.
For me it would have to be weekends only. I don't really have any time off during the week this summer.

I loved Japan. I was stationed at Misawa many years ago. Someday I'd like to go back.

OP
OP
lalalofsky

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
My wife wants to go home today, but I am seeing if we can stay one more day. I am thinking ill come back in July too.

pnut

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392 XR
I go up most weekends, been driving up there for about 40 years.

Wave me down if you see me and want to say hi. A couple key things I do when driving on the dunes. Same for all the JK,s I drove up there from stock to modified, and now my 392.

1) Lower your tire pressure alot - like 10lbs. I see people up there daily with 15-20lbs and they get stuck and the ride must be punishing. I rarely see people with tires peeled off the rim unless they are driving stupid (sharp turns while driving
2) Don't go over big hills until you get your bearings. Can be and is dangerous if you don't know what you are doing.
3) I would suggest 4hi, not 4lo. You will spend most time in 1st and second gear in hi. Lo range just constantly shifting and not enough wheel speed.
4) Turn off your traction and ESP. Look in the manual for your specific model, but just a quick push DOES NOT turn it off completely. I have to push and hold for like 10-15 seconds. Wheel spin is ok and usually good to build momentum.
5) RPM's are your friend. If you have an automatic shift into 1st and second gear manually, it will help especially when you are ready to tackle the big hills
6) Watch out for everyone else. It's a free for all and can be, and is dangerous.

Edit:
7) Weekends from Memorial day to Labor day are by far the busiest times. Week days are a nice time.
Sponsored

Last edited: