“Service Axle Locker System” Light On

TJP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Is the wire severed to the pin?

I wonder if the sensor is still good and the wire severed is whats throwing the code?

Id get harness repaired and see if that corrects the issue. Id then pull and pot that sensor if still good. If not id z auto harness it and be done w it.

Well, I have fallen victim of the Service Axle Locker System light just over a week ago. I brought it to the dealer last week to take a look at it and they told me my lift caused the issue because it put too much stress on the wiring harness. They wanted to charge over $250 to replace the connector...I told them if it truly was my lift, I'd take care of it.

I brought the Jeep to full flex today to investigate and there's no way my lift caused it. There is plenty of slack in the line to prevent this from happening.

It looks like someone had damaged the red/green line at one point with a probe and the yellow/green looks like it has a slice.

I also pulled my rear connector and it has the dreaded oil on it.

First step is to call Customer Care and call these fools out on their crappy diagnostic.

20210502_155418[1].jpg

20210502_155409[1].jpg

20210502_155957[1].jpg
Sponsored

sduphily

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Is the wire severed to the pin?

I wonder if the sensor is still good and the wire severed is whats throwing the code?

Id get harness repaired and see if that corrects the issue. Id then pull and pot that sensor if still good. If not id z auto harness it and be done w it.
Yeah, the wire is completely broken from within the plastic connector. On top of that, it's the wire closest to the top which makes no sense if it was any stress that caused the problem.

Oh I full intention to pull both sensors and pot them ASAP. I've got the compound on order now.

I will be purchasing the harness as well as a backup.

The problem now is how to fix the current known problem. As someone else noted, the harness replacement is going to be a PITA to replace. I'd rather have them do it under warranty, but looks like I'm going to need to start with the phone calls today.

2021-05-03_6-06-30.jpg

• Angry
Reactions: TJP

Sydwaiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 73 CJ-5
Yeah, the wire is completely broken from within the plastic connector. On top of that, it's the wire closest to the top which makes no sense if it was any stress that caused the problem.

Oh I full intention to pull both sensors and pot them ASAP. I've got the compound on order now.

I will be purchasing the harness as well as a backup.

The problem now is how to fix the current known problem. As someone else noted, the harness replacement is going to be a PITA to replace. I'd rather have them do it under warranty, but looks like I'm going to need to start with the phone calls today.

Jeep Wrangler JL “Service Axle Locker System” Light On 2021-05-03_6-06-30
Where is the rest of the plug? There should be a right angle cover/housing over that. At least mine has them.

I got the service light on mine this weekend but it was totally my fault by not disconnecting the plug from the axle when installing my lift. I lowered the axle to install the driver front spring and, "pop"! I yanked all the wires straight out of the connector. Jeep doesn't sell a repair kit for this connector yet so I bought the repair kit for the CAD instead. I really just needed the wires with the terminals on them to press back into the connector. I'll solder and splice them tonight.

sduphily

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Where is the rest of the plug? There should be a right angle cover/housing over that. At least mine has them.

I got the service light on mine this weekend but it was totally my fault by not disconnecting the plug from the axle when installing my lift. I lowered the axle to install the driver front spring and, "pop"! I yanked all the wires straight out of the connector. Jeep doesn't sell a repair kit for this connector yet so I bought the repair kit for the CAD instead. I really just needed the wires with the terminals on them to press back into the connector. I'll solder and splice them tonight.
Hmmm...I'll have to investigate the cover you're referring to. The rear one definitely has a cover on it. Have a picture of yours you can share?

Sucks about the "pop"...I could see where that could happen. The MC lift instructions clearly state to removed these connections and the others before starting. They do not however state to remove the connection points on the frame, but I had done that myself when I was attempting to reconnect everything when it was fully extended with no wheels on.

Sydwaiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 73 CJ-5
Hmmm...I'll have to investigate the cover you're referring to. The rear one definitely has a cover on it. Have a picture of yours you can share?

Sucks about the "pop"...I could see where that could happen. The MC lift instructions clearly state to removed these connections and the others before starting. They do not however state to remove the connection points on the frame, but I had done that myself when I was attempting to reconnect everything when it was fully extended with no wheels on.
My instructions clearly stated to remove it as well. I just got ahead of myself and also got side tracked right before I lowered the axle. All four little clips inside pulled right out. If I knew what terminals to buy, I could probably just strip the wire back 1/4" and crimp on new terminals. The repair kit I bought has long leads so I'm going to add some length when I put it back together.
Here's my connector that went "pop"!

IMG_1205.jpg

IMG_1204.jpg

Sponsored

PTRigs

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2020 JTR
Mine went into the shop today.

They say they found the code "C1451-15" in the system.

And it will require more diagnostic to figure out what caused it.

Trying to google the code and can't seem to find anything about it online.
Sorry to bring you back into this thread after two years, but did you find out more about this fault code? Your mention is the only one that I can find, anywhere.

I have a service axle warning after using the other zLocker harness with aftermarket axles. I would guess the module is the same between the OEM and aftermarket one, with the difference being the plug at the axle end. I figured my issue was different enough from yalls that I should start a new thread. If anyone wants to take a look and offer advice, it would be much appreciated.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-zlocker-and-aftermarket-axles-problem.71736/

21JLURubi

First Name
Serge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Greetings
I just picked up my new 21 JLU Rubicon today and was out for a drive this evening, was on a dirt road, only in first gear on 2 high and I get the service axel lockers message.
The light is blinking on the “rear only“ side of the switch.
I haven’t even tried to use the lockers yet.
So of course I google it when I got back home.
I wasn’t expecting to get such a result.
Is it safe to continue driving my Jeep until I go to the dealership as long as I don’t mess with the lockers?
The jeep sounds the same. I don’t hear any grinding noise coming from the axel.
It’s dark out now but I’ll look at the sensor in the morning for loose connections.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Greetings
I just picked up my new 21 JLU Rubicon today and was out for a drive this evening, was on a dirt road, only in first gear on 2 high and I get the service axel lockers message.
The light is blinking on the “rear only“ side of the switch.
I haven’t even tried to use the lockers yet.
So of course I google it when I got back home.
I wasn’t expecting to get such a result.
Is it safe to continue driving my Jeep until I go to the dealership as long as I don’t mess with the lockers?
The jeep sounds the same. I don’t hear any grinding noise coming from the axel.
It’s dark out now but I’ll look at the sensor in the morning for loose connections.
Read through the thread. Safest thing you can do is unplug the harness from the rear diff (takes about 30 seconds) and you will get a permanent error on the dash but it will keep the lockers from self engaging.

Glen722

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Rubicon JLU
I posted this yesterday in the "What happens when the axle locker system fails?" thread.

En route to Moab for a Modern Jeeper Adventures trip over Memorial Day weekend, I got the "service axle locker" warning. I pulled into a dealer who read the code and told me I needed to replace the axle to fix the problem. They said I could still drive the Jeep but the lockers would not work and to not use them. After a few of days in Moab without lockers, I headed home and went to see Andrew McLaughlin at LetzRoll Offroad in Mesa, AZ. He explained Z Automotive's fix for the issue. You can read about the issue and their solution at:
https://www.zautomotive.com/product/z_lkr_oem/

Not wanting to have this issue again, I had Andrew install one Z-Locker-OEM in the front and rear axle lockers. At $179 each, it was an easy decision.

Last edited:

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I posted this yesterday in the "What happens when the axle locker system fails?" thread.

En route to Moab for a Modern Jeeper Adventures trip over Memorial Day weekend, I got the "service axle locker" warning. I pulled into a dealer who read the code and told me I needed to replace the axle to fix the problem. They said I could still drive the Jeep but the lockers would not work and to not use them. After a few of days in Moab without lockers, I headed home and went to see Andrew McLaughlin at LetzRoll Offroad in Mesa, AZ. He explained Z Automotive's fix for the issue. You can read about the issue and their solution at:

Not wanting to have this issue again, I had Andrew install one Z-Locker-OEM in the front and rear axle lockers. At $179 each, it was an easy decision.
'
I bought one and carry it with me for just such an occasion. I consider it an insurance policy.

mrbufton

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlur,2006 power wagon

Do you have a warning light on after you Installed Z Automotive fix