Sponsored

JL Dana 30 & Dana 35 - how strong are they?

PsychoTrucker81

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Just for the record, I was not able to restrain myself. This is a Dana 44 axle out of my JLUR. Didn't break it, but did put a little twist on it. Good thing I had planned on upgrading the axles shafts anyways.

1608380091632.png

Didn't break it....... Drove it 2500 miles home like that.
What size tires were you running??
Sponsored

Therby

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
So I found out that the front Dana 30 is the same as the JK Dana 30 as far as the gears go so you can put a truetrac in the front and the only reason that I'm going to build my Dana 30 is because I'm staying light I'm not going to go with 35 I'm not going to go super heavy rock crawling and my little lift will be Frankenstein as well KINGS 2.5 with piggy back reservoir shocks are on the wish list as well as the Evo Overlander enforcer kit
With a two-door sport like mine I'll get at least three inches of lift
how’s that truetrac going for the front? Installed yet?

Zipp

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
I have manual trans, dana 30 front but 44 rear in my sport. Re geared to 4.56

drives awesome, wheeled it pretty hard this past summer and didn’t have any issues.

im on 315/70r17 duratracs, a small and light “35”

I won’t go bigger than 35s on the front 30, im waiting for a rear elocker to come out, I think that would be very beneficial and strong with 35s and in the future get a ultimate 44 upfront with 37s

all that being said, if rubicon axles became available around me for the right price, I would jump on that probably, but the problem with that is I’d go to 37s and then need to regear the rubicon axles right away etc.

In the end, no right or wrong way.
Do what you can afford, but most of all just wheel the jeep and have fun and see what you need.

I tackled all the trails I wanted to around me and only a few obstacles I couldn’t get up due to wheel spin and being open diffs therefore i want a locker
Did you have to get new carries for 4.56?

Sponsored

zeebo56

First Name
Zee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Vehicle Showcase

Therby

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase

zeebo56

First Name
Zee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Vehicle Showcase
what tire and size are you running?
manual or auto trans?
I have the auto in my JLU sport. Currently 35 milestar patagonias but probably do 37s next time I change tires.

With 35s it lost some power but still drove ok unless Im on the highway and go over 65, then it starts trying to work to keep me up to speed and I rarely see 8th. It was windy the other day and I could tell the jeep was struggling a bit more than usual.

Hopefully I get the job done next weekend

BD1

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep jlu
I opted for the new rear Ox locker for the M200. They also charge the same price for the differential to move up from 29 spline to 32 spline. You only need axles for a standard width M220 (non-Rubicon).
How is it standing up

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
How is it standing up
It still works. I’ve not been wheeling with it yet. Finishing my build hopefully this month. The weakest link is the axle shafts and then the pinion when compared to the M220. JL Life Off-road on YT beat the snot out of their sport that had 4.56’s. I think it had a locker up front too. They initially twisted a stock axle shafts and swapped to Dana HD stock replacements. After that, they bent the front axle tube from crawling/bouncing on rocks before anything else let go. I’m not going to wheel that hard. Mine should last a very long time. I’m considering shafts, gears, and no locker for the front …or run it until it gives out.

Last edited:

Sponsored

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
I'm thinking about adding rcvs to my front. My only concern is I'm not setup at home to take the wheels off to grease then every so often. I guess I could put a hole on my wheels center cap? Then I could grease it with the wheels on.

I have an air compressor, I think in the long run I'll add arb lockers to the front and rear (m220 rear). I'll never wheel super hard and I doubt I'll go higher than the 35s I'm on now. But I want to feel comfortable that I'm not going to break anything and I like the idea of having front and rear lockers just incase I need them.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I'm thinking about adding rcvs to my front. My only concern is I'm not setup at home to take the wheels off to grease then every so often. I guess I could put a hole on my wheels center cap? Then I could grease it with the wheels on.

I have an air compressor, I think in the long run I'll add arb lockers to the front and rear (m220 rear). I'll never wheel super hard and I doubt I'll go higher than the 35s I'm on now. But I want to feel comfortable that I'm not going to break anything and I like the idea of having front and rear lockers just incase I need them.
I saw that but lube maintenance was still an afterthought to dependability and really just the smoothness of being in 4WD and turning the front wheels hard without them skipping. I could see some situations where that might be hairy when you don’t want the chassis upset. lol

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Says you can run up to 37’s with a lifetime warranty on the axle shafts from RCV. :like:

Excerpt from the website description:

The RCV Jeep JL CV for Dana 30 is 18% larger than our previous Dana 30 design and uses our same Dana 60 architecture. Tests prove our axles to be twice as strong as OEM. Even with big tires and big power there are no worries. RCV Performance Ultimate CV Axles are low maintenance and operate with a smoothness you can feel - whether off-road or on the street. All backed with a Lifetime Warranty against breakage up to a 37" tire.

RCV axles are a direct OEM replacement, retaining the Jeep's "Front Axle Disconnect" module and retains full functionality of the FAD system. No warning lights, and no further modifications needed.

Additional Information​
  • We launched this new 18% larger CV specifically for the Jeep JL Rubicon
  • Axles outboards are gun-drilled with a grease fitting at the end for easy maintenance when needed. No need to remove any parts (but a center cap on the wheel)
  • We offer two versions - the FAD 2-pc version and a FAD eliminator 1-pc version. Both versions retain the FAD module. No warning lights, no issues.
  • Coupler utilizes upgraded aircraft grade materials
  • RCV FAD kits use a new bronze bushing, replacing the OEM plastic.

Last edited:

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
Wonder if I can find a place to do all the greasing for me. I have to grease my tie rod, drag link and drive shaft as it is when doing an oil change. At least those things are easily accessible for me. I don't do my own tire rotation because my driveway is on a hill. If I can could get a shop to grease the axle when they rotate my tires or let me do it then problem solved. Otherwise I'll have to go to a friend's house or something just to grease my rcv axle.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Wonder if I can find a place to do all the greasing for me. I have to grease my tie rod, drag link and drive shaft as it is when doing an oil change. At least those things are easily accessible for me. I don't do my own tire rotation because my driveway is on a hill. If I can could get a shop to grease the axle when they rotate my tires or let me do it then problem solved. Otherwise I'll have to go to a friend's house or something just to grease my rcv axle.
Friends are a great thing to have.
Sponsored