Sponsored

Should I get a new Wrangler?

Dirty_Oil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
I currently have a 2020 2 door Sport S that I bought new almost a year ago that only has the technology package. It’s great and I love the thing to death, but a month ago I had put in an order for a 2021 JLUR that was loaded with packages because I figure it makes sense to do that with how much money you can get for a used jeep and how much I would’ve spent on lockers, lift, etc to get my sport s to be equal to a Rubicon. Plus having 4 doors would be really nice. I’m 20 and single and in the military. I have a lot of money saved up from all the work I’ve done in my life, so even after I purchase the JLUR I’ll have 6k sitting in savings. But I’m now having second thoughts about it. Do I really need it? No. But I’m young, and can afford to make not the best financial decisions for something I really want. Plus I plan on keeping this new Jeep until it no longer drives so for at least 10 years. But I also love my sport s and all the memories I have with it, plus it being the very first vehicle I’ve bought with my own money.

any thoughts on this? The JLUR wouldn’t become a rock krawler or anything since it’ll be my daily driver, but it’d be nice to have something capable of hitting some badge of honor trails.
Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Keep the S and invest in Crypto. Use your youth to proper advantage.

You're welcome. ;)

OP
OP

Dirty_Oil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Keep the S and invest in Crypto. Use your youth to proper advantage.

You're welcome. ;)
Already have about 6k in crypto and not sure I’m comfortable doing anymore than that, thanks for the advice though. I really appreciate it!

N3mesis

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger, Wrangler on Order
I currently have a 2020 2 door Sport S that I bought new almost a year ago that only has the technology package. It’s great and I love the thing to death, but a month ago I had put in an order for a 2021 JLUR that was loaded with packages because I figure it makes sense to do that with how much money you can get for a used jeep and how much I would’ve spent on lockers, lift, etc to get my sport s to be equal to a Rubicon. Plus having 4 doors would be really nice. I’m 20 and single and in the military. I have a lot of money saved up from all the work I’ve done in my life, so even after I purchase the JLUR I’ll have 6k sitting in savings. But I’m now having second thoughts about it. Do I really need it? No. But I’m young, and can afford to make not the best financial decisions for something I really want. Plus I plan on keeping this new Jeep until it no longer drives so for at least 10 years. But I also love my sport s and all the memories I have with it, plus it being the very first vehicle I’ve bought with my own money.

any thoughts on this? The JLUR wouldn’t become a rock krawler or anything since it’ll be my daily driver, but it’d be nice to have something capable of hitting some badge of honor trails.
Having been in the military myself, if there's a chance you're going to be deployed before your contract ends and if you don't reenlist, I would keep the Sport S. That being said, my son is in the Army currently and he wanted a vehicle like you want but I told him to be conservative and just get what he needs for now. No one can tell you what to do with your money but if your happy with the Sport S, enjoy it, keep saving that money, and leave that Rubicon out there as a goal for the future.

Being young, you still have possible life events like college, marriage, kids, etc....All these type of things can drastically change what you NEED in the next 10 years. Be flexible and able to adapt. So leave the wants for later and enjoy what you have.

Just my two cents but good luck however you decide!

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Former Army here. Keep the Sport S. There is a lot to be said for not having the fanciest, greatest, most heavily optioned one you can get. As many here can attest to, when you have it all, something new comes out and kindles the need to have it all, all over again. Some of my favorite vehicle over the years, to include Jeeps, have been the lower trim groups. If you're living in the barracks, you can pay that thing off fast, especially if you eat most of your meals in the chow hall.

Now, you can still buy a pretty plain Rubicon, but is it worth it to you? Will you use it as designed? Keep yours, pay it off and enjoy it after it costs you only insurance and fuel. Then you can buy something else or you may be starting a family by then. Then there will be room in the budget for a true SUV or sedan or electric whatever.

Remember, you may be trading for a high value, but what you buy will have little to no discounts, so in the end you've gained nothing but a higher level of debt that could affect you if you want to buy a house in the not too distant future.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Dirty_Oil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A lot of great points in here, especially from people who have been in the service. I was on the fence about the order I placed, but I think now I’m just going to stick with the sport s. It kind of sucks because I was definitely looking forward to the JLUR, but I definitely feel very financially safe where I’m at right now and I know I wouldn’t feel as safe if I ended up getting the JLUR. Thank you everyone for your input and help, I truly appreciate it all!

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve been tempted to do the same: trade in my fully equipped 2018 Sahara for a 2021; apparently I can get $10,000 more than what I paid for it new 1.5 years ago.

But I started doing the math of how much money I put into it already: between a Mopar lift, new wheels and tires, Yeti adjustable track bar, LEDs, a steel bumper and a winch, etc., etc.; I have put $12,000. And I paid $3,500 in tax and license. That’s $15,500 that I ain't getting back. Plus the price of the 2021s are through the roof. So I’ve decided to keep the Sahara. Besides, it’s only got 6,500 miles.

If I were you, I’d keep the Sport and enjoy it. You can always use that money you saved for something more productive like a down payment on a home, a new kitchen or an IRA.

Good luck.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I’ve been tempted to do the same: trade in my fully equipped 2018 Sahara for a 2021; apparently I can get $12,000 more than what I paid for it new 1.5 years ago.

But I started doing the math of how much money I put into it already: between a Mopar lift, new wheels and tires, LEDs, a steel bumper and a winch, etc., etc.; I have put $12,000. Plus I paid $3,500 in tax and license. That’s $15,500 that I ain't getting back. So I’ve decided to keep the Sahara. Besides, it’s only got 6,500 miles.
The Aldo math. Where have we seen this before? ;)

If you get $12K above purchase price, and you've invested $12K in upgrades, that's a wash. You got the latter back. The generous purchase offer pays for 100% of the wheels, tires and so on.

If the $3.5K for tax & licensing was in addition to what you paid for the vehicle 1.5 years ago, then yes, that would be out of pocket as it concerns the current "$12K more" purchase offer.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The Aldo math. Where have we seen this before? ;)

If you get $12K above purchase price, and you've invested $12K in upgrades, that's a wash. You got the latter back. If the $3.5K for tax & licensing was in addition to what you paid 1.5 years ago, then yes, that would be out of pocket as it concerns the current "$12K more" purchase offer.
More variables: I got the 2018 Sahara for 22% off MSRP. I’d be lucky to get 5-7% off MSRP today, and prices have gone up 10% since then. It just ain’t worth it.

“A train leaves New York at 9am traveling west at 60 MPH...” :LOL:

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
Keep the Sport, at least for the time being. Now is probably the worst time you’ll ever see to buy a new car (all the COVID crap, parts and supply shortages, high demand, etc. Drive your Sport until this nonsense is over (Next year this time-maybe). Save your money in the meantime and when things return to some semblance of normal look at your situation again, Your stock Sport will take you a LOT of places pretty easily. I’ve driven older, far less capable, Jeeps for decades And to date have never been unable to get anyplace I REALLY wanted to go. A winch or come along and a shovel should be with “just in case” but if you watch yourself you will be amazed where you little Sport will go (you DO need decent tires though..)

Sponsored

Wbino

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
keep the 20.
Buy a new car smell air freshener to distract yourself from a foolish chase....☺

CavSout95

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JLU Willys
A lot of great points in here, especially from people who have been in the service. I was on the fence about the order I placed, but I think now I’m just going to stick with the sport s. It kind of sucks because I was definitely looking forward to the JLUR, but I definitely feel very financially safe where I’m at right now and I know I wouldn’t feel as safe if I ended up getting the JLUR. Thank you everyone for your input and help, I truly appreciate it all!
My first Jeep was a ‘95 Wrangler base sport, straight 6, manual, soft top, no options and great shade of moss green and what I could afford at the time. Wish I still had that one but life got in the way and not great vehicle to put a baby seat in. Now I look forward to my newly ordered ‘21 JLU Willys in Sarge Green. It took almost 25 years and now I can afford a JLUR but really don’t need the extra bells and whistles so opted to compromise with the Willys, and still have some money left to help pay my kids’ college tuition. 20+ years in the Army and some of the best times and lessons in my life, no regrets. Thanks for your service and enjoy your time in the military and with the Jeep!

desmo2

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'97 TJ '97-'11. '21 billet silver JLR
You still have a new Jeep. If it is fulfilling your needs, resist the urge to splurge on the "new thing". Even if you get the '21 JLUR, in '22 there will be another "new thing" to tempt you. If you can resist that urge and be satisfied with what you have, you will be way ahead of most of your peers.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
“A” new Wrangler? Why just one? lol

Rockstar08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Already have about 6k in crypto and not sure I’m comfortable doing anymore than that, thanks for the advice though. I really appreciate it!
Forget crypto for now all I can say is AMC stock to the Moon!! Check it out on the Reddit forums and research but I would do it quickly!!!
Sponsored