Spare Tire Cover OR Uncovered

MrGneissGuy

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
It doesn't get to park in the garage and some say the elements can be hard on a spare, so I decided I should get one. I have one of the color match topo lines covers from Boomerang on mine; it fits with my job (geologist).

I'll likely take it off from time to time, but it cost enough that for the time being, I hate to have it just sitting in storage.
Sponsored

SilverSurfer

First Name
Heinrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 3.6 8-speed Auto
My RHD JLR came with a Mopar spare cover including the cutout for the reverse camera.

It is still on the Jeep but I am seriously considering removing it. It collects a heck of a lot of dust inside the cover as well as staying wet from water for a long time.

I might just remove it this weekend, but without the cover the rear view camera looks like a huge pimpel on the back of the Jeep.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
My RHD JLR came with a Mopar spare cover including the cutout for the reverse camera.

It is still on the Jeep but I am seriously considering removing it. It collects a heck of a lot of dust inside the cover as well as staying wet from water for a long time.

I might just remove it this weekend, but without the cover the rear view camera looks like a huge pimple on the back of the Jeep.
Compatible spare tire covers include an integrated camera cover that snaps on when installing the cover. Doing so first requires removing the [separate] camera cover that is in situ on backup cameras when no tire cover is installed.

If you have the latter cover handy, installing it after removing your Mopar spare cover may de-pimple the backup camera, at least a bit. Something to consider.

Archie PJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Punk"n
On the 2018 to current JLU, is your spare tire covered or uncovered?
Covered. There are a lot of options now for covers that have a "port" that allow the rear camera to function.

Jim_n_Tx

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ, Commando, JT , JL, M422
The dealer put one on my spare (with advertising) but a can of black vinyl paint fixed it! Need to keep the South Texas sun off of the tire.

Sponsored

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Covered with a Great Horned Owl
Jeep Wrangler JL Spare Tire Cover OR Uncovered Jeep Owl

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
That is very cool and creative!
I had the idea and my daughter had someone paint it, its one of a kind. I really like it. But it barely fits my BFG 33's, very snug.

MrGneissGuy

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
I had the idea and my daughter had someone paint it, its one of a kind. I really like it. But it barely fits my BFG 33's, very snug.
That is nicely done. I thought about having one made up to look like my profile pic. But then kind of got to liking the topo lines one and changed my mind.

Archeonomy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vanderhall
From what I observed shopping used Jeeps for a year, the primary purpose of the spare tire cover seemed to be to hide the fact that the owner purchased 4 new wheels, but had a mis-matched OEM wheel as the spare.

Last edited:

Sponsored

JeepJLU402

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sport S - V6 8AT - 30/44
I only see tire covers on Jeep’s that have 35’s but still rock the stock 31” spare.

ivanidea

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 2dr
Occupation
IT
Whilst I prefer the look without a cover, living in Florida with it's excess of UV, I decided to get a cover for the spare. The cover from Boomerang does not interfere with the rear camera.

OP
OP
Jeepster21

Jeepster21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Noticing very few tire covers in my area, then again why would you want to hide those awesome wheels.