Sponsored

What happens when the axle lock sensor fails?

Glen722

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Rubicon JLU
En route to Moab for a Modern Jeeper Adventures trip over Memorial Day weekend, I got the "service axle locker" warning. I pulled into a dealer who read the code and told me I needed to replace the axle to fix the problem. They said I could still drive the Jeep but the lockers would not work and to not use them. After a few of days in Moab without lockers, I headed home and went to see Andrew McLaughlin at LetzRoll Offroad in Mesa, AZ. He explained Z Automotive's fix for the issue. You can read about the issue and their solution at:
https://www.zautomotive.com/product/z_lkr_oem/

Not wanting to have this issue again, I had Andrew install one Z-Locker-OEM in the front and rear axle lockers. At $179 each, it was an easy decision.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Rrr8400

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
En route to Moab for a Modern Jeeper Adventures trip, I got the "service axle locker" warning. I pulled into a dealer who read the code and told me I needed to replace the axle to fix the problem. They said I could still drive the Jeep but the lockers would not work and to not use them. After a few of days in Moab without lockers, I headed home and went to see Andrew McLaughlin at LetzRoll Offroad in Mesa, AZ. He explained Z Automotive's fix for the issue. You can read about the issue and their solution at:
https://www.zautomotive.com/product/z_lkr_oem/

Not wanting to have this issue again, I had Andrew install one Z-Locker-OEM in the front and rear axle lockers. At $179 each, it was an easy decision.
I get the z-locker harness fix and I may buy a pair to keep on hand just so I am not caught without lockers if I needed them.

But at this point I want the dealer / Jeep to actually acknowledge the problem. My rubicon has less than 3000 miles on it and it has had the problem since the first week (maybe when I took delivery as it took me a bit to check out all the screens etc.). I feel like if more people don't get this diagnosed properly and force Jeep to keep replacing axles (or at least admitting that is the solution) there is even less of a chance of there ever being a recall. I'd settle for a TSB at this point.

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
I feel like if more people don't get this diagnosed properly and force Jeep to keep replacing axles (or at least admitting that is the solution) there is even less of a chance of there ever being a recall. I'd settle for a TSB at this point.
I was just going to say the same thing. Knock on wood and cross my fingers, I haven't had an issue. When I do, I'll bring it in. I'm hoping that the people that do have issues bring their jeeps in to get it resolved, as it confirms an issue. If a thousand people just buy the z-harness instead of bringing it in under warranty, Jeep thinks there's not a problem, as they don't have to replace a thousand axles.

If it's out of warranty, z-harness all the way.

jplusk

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue JLUR
I get the z-locker harness fix and I may buy a pair to keep on hand just so I am not caught without lockers if I needed them.

But at this point I want the dealer / Jeep to actually acknowledge the problem. My rubicon has less than 3000 miles on it and it has had the problem since the first week (maybe when I took delivery as it took me a bit to check out all the screens etc.). I feel like if more people don't get this diagnosed properly and force Jeep to keep replacing axles (or at least admitting that is the solution) there is even less of a chance of there ever being a recall. I'd settle for a TSB at this point.
Exactly what everyone should do, assuming they are still stock. I understand the guys who have regeared and installed non factory lifts just going the zauto route to not have to fight the warranty claim. Even though we know it is just the damn sensor causing the issue.

We shouldn’t have to go to a 3rd party or pot our sensors to have the vehicle function as designed. They can keep replacing my axle, dealer is only 2 miles away.
Sponsored