What did you do TO your Jeep JL today?

BMorgan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Been meaning to ask 2 questions: Without researching myself, can you tell me which bumper that is?

Wanted to ask you about your front camera. Now that you've had it on since April, do you find yourself using it often, and in what conditions? It's not automatically engaged for things such as parking in tight spots or something like that, though potentially good for off-roading in areas where it might be useful. Doesn't look like your bumper guard gets in the way of the view at all, so that's good. Just thinking through whether it's worth adding or not, as I've read mixed reviews from folks.

I like that bumper a lot, and if I ever change out my factory plastic one that is definitely in the consideration list. Most are too hard-edged or over the top, but that one looks really good with your HellaYella and probably would with my Mojito as well.

Overall, you've done a solid job with your upgrades and the ride looks terrific!
Thank you for the complements! That's the Venator bumper from Rugged Ridge, with the overrider bar. Venator Front Bumper | Rugged Ridge

I've used the front camera when parking when it looked like a tight squeeze up front. I also tried it a few times in my limited time offroad, just for fun. The bumper doesn't block the camera at all.

I've since added Rugged Ridge lights on top of the overrider, and red shackles, and a Factor 55 flatlink for the winch.
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? a28ae161-3742-4212-aba9-7a325cb897a3-jpe

4doorturbo

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport S
I pulled the trigger and purchased a Hotheads Headliner for my hardtop and couldn’t be happier. Well worth the money and simple to install. The instructions walk you through the process very easily.
I got the side window kit to round out the look and also added the sound assassin strips too. I can definitely tell a difference in interior noise; quieter and less echoey inside.
The color is “graphite”.
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 56CF6909-438C-40B3-A64C-31F57B738594
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 459B97AB-B8DE-4282-ADFE-2975B4375AD0

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Pulled her up on the new trailer for a test fit. I'll strap it down and make a test run on the freeway this weekend. Gotta get the prep work out of the way for our Ouray trip July 2nd. Ignore the slammed stance of the truck, air ride in entry/exit mode. 6" drop hitch will be here today so the trailer will sit right at normal ride height.
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? IMG_20210604_200808_035

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
Haha well then you might be happy to learn that their competitor Holosun makes optics for the same footprint at around half the price. They're Chinese made, but they're not "cheap", and they've honestly surpassed Trijicon in quite a few departments (battery life/location, reticles, shake-awake) where Trij just coasted on their ACOG laurels. Give em a look, I'm going to try them for my pistol optics from now on. Love the RMR, don't fancy rezeroing every time I change the battery though.
That is one of the many reasons i went with the p320RX that has the Sig romeo 1.

no re-zero after changing batteries, and the stock trigger is much better.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Nikon makes the Spur sight, Vortex has some good ones as well. My personal and unsolicited opinion? I don't get the need/benefit for anything more than "iron sights" for self defense distances. If you're shooting at the range, that's cool.
Right; that's why I mentioned I'm still in learning mode. I have to consider whether I want to take on not only the expense, but also any necessary adjustments in carry and presentation methods.

I usually like to take a reductive approach in such matters -- i.e., what isn't there can't fail -- but that doesn't mean I won't consider changes where a solid case for doing so can be made.

RubiJR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and 1992 Suzuki Sidekick
The source of the ignition was a flare that was used to ignite components under the hood. The flare did not stay under the hood.

I waited until smoke was showing from the car. This took a couple of minutes.

As for engine compartment fires, we find that for most of the car fires we've had, it took a minute or so from recognition of smoke coming from the car until they were safely pulled over. Based on the fact that the fire we started took over a minute for smoke to become really noticeable. So figure the fire had a good couple minute head start by the time someone was pulled over.

In my 40 years of doing this, half of them running calls on I-95 near Baltimore, most people are more worried about pulling over and then getting everyone out. Most of the time if a fire extinguisher had been used, it was supplied by someone who pulled over to help.

The test configuration was dictated by my chief, He has a few years on me in the fire service :). I was hoping to have had better results, but ultimately I was not impressed. I just thought people would be interested in what we did. Unfortunately since I had to pay for the Element out of pocket, it limits me on how many tests I can do. I would be curious to see how it does on a fire after a crash where the front is crumpled and you have better access.

In the thread on this particular Element scenario you were not impressed with the Element so you carry a different fire extinguisher but in your test you said none of then helped and you ultimately had to use a fire hose and pry the hood open. So your opinion since they all failed would be that you aren't impressed by any of today's fire extinguisher choices, not just the Element

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
Wood working? Man I thought Jeeps were expensive hobby... You must be super rich if you can just play with lumber like that. :LOL: I didn't want to say anything earlier, but I was looking at the pictures thinking you may want to get a security system to protect all that wood you're adding to the Jeep. Would hate to see someone steal an investment like that.
Jeep will be worth at least 5k more on trade after this 😂

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
I heard something smack my windshield this morning on my way into work. I wasn't behind anybody, so if it was a rock, it had to have been from oncoming traffic. I haven't found any dings or chips yet, but will be looking closer this evening. Maybe it was a cicada, but it sure sounded like a rock.
Damn those blasted things. I was driving to work yesterday when 3 splattered right in front of my face. Used probably about half of my washer fluid so I could see again.

JP29

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport
That is one of the many reasons i went with the p320RX that has the Sig romeo 1.

no re-zero after changing batteries, and the stock trigger is much better.
Also have heard good things on the Romeo line, my FIL runs one on his P365.

Right; that's why I mentioned I'm still in learning mode. I have to consider whether I want to take on not only the expense, but also any necessary adjustments in carry and presentation methods.

I usually like to take a reductive approach in such matters -- i.e., what isn't there can't fail -- but that doesn't mean I won't consider changes where a solid case for doing so can be made.
I'd argue we're at the point where MRDS on handguns are becoming quite commonplace. They're not a necessity, but anyone who refuses to run them without even trying is just removing an advantage from their toolbox, and many shooters would argue that after a WML, the next thing on your EDC should be an optic. Especially with the advent of Primary Arms Vulcan ACSS reticle - which includes a 250 MOA ring around the dot to train a shooter how to align the optic on presentation - there really isn't much excuse anymore. I'm sure they'll never catch on with the crowd that turns their nose up at anything that isn't a single stack .45, but any relatively proficient shooter is doing themselves a disservice if they don't give MRDS a shot. End rant lol

ObtuseMeatball

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Soft Top Firecracker Red
Occupation
IT Nerd
Stupid. I think they word you are looking for is "stupid".

I put the top and doors back on before heading to the car wash. The wiper arms are so clean in this pic because I lowered the windshield to make cleaning the dash easier, I gave the wiper arms a once over while I had them off. I must have wiped the antenna at some point as well. The drawings are from my buddy's daughter who was riding shot gun at the time.

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? IMG_20210604_200808_035

btw, you can see I had mud flaps on, clearly they don't work. Think I'll ask for my money back.
This is one of the greatest pictures on the internet. More please 🧐

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
Also have heard good things on the Romeo line, my FIL runs one on his P365.

I'd argue we're at the point where MRDS on handguns are becoming quite commonplace. They're not a necessity, but anyone who refuses to run them without even trying is just removing an advantage from their toolbox, and many shooters would argue that after a WML, the next thing on your EDC should be an optic. Especially with the advent of Primary Arms Vulcan ACSS reticle - which includes a 250 MOA ring around the dot to train a shooter how to align the optic on presentation - there really isn't much excuse anymore. I'm sure they'll never catch on with the crowd that turns their nose up at anything that isn't a single stack .45, but any relatively proficient shooter is doing themselves a disservice if they don't give MRDS a shot. End rant lol
+1

i run iron sites in production class, and then romeo in the carry optics.

these days i see as many or more in the carry optics class, compared to iron sites classes.

optics require practice like anything else. It takes a LOT of practice to get as fast & accurate with optics compared to iron in tactical & competition.

Back to the topic of Jeep work I did the following

Removed:
front upper & lower Teraflex control arms
Rancho geometry correction brackets
Front Rancho shocks and springs
Tailgate reinforcement
Spare relo bracket
Gmrs radio & antenna
USB power wires
Wireless phone charger
Rear Smittybil XRC Gen2 bumper

Installed:
Front upper & lower factory control arms
Front factory shocks and springs
Stock rear bumper
Rear hitch

tomorrow i get to continue the return to stock in prep for the arrival of the replacement in a week.