What did you do TO your Jeep JL today?

paffemt

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Ok, I've watched the video. It has frankly made me a skeptic of the test at this point. I have some burning questions, no pun intended.

I think we may need to start another thread becasue there are enough questions after that video that the discussion may derail this thread. I may actually do that soon.

So her's the first one. What was the source of ignition and how long was it burning before you pulled out the Element?

I'd bet most engine bay fires you attend to don't have the hood up because the drivers don't have a fire extinguisher of any kind.
The source of the ignition was a flare that was used to ignite components under the hood. The flare did not stay under the hood.

I waited until smoke was showing from the car. This took a couple of minutes.

As for engine compartment fires, we find that for most of the car fires we've had, it took a minute or so from recognition of smoke coming from the car until they were safely pulled over. Based on the fact that the fire we started took over a minute for smoke to become really noticeable. So figure the fire had a good couple minute head start by the time someone was pulled over.

In my 40 years of doing this, half of them running calls on I-95 near Baltimore, most people are more worried about pulling over and then getting everyone out. Most of the time if a fire extinguisher had been used, it was supplied by someone who pulled over to help.

The test configuration was dictated by my chief, He has a few years on me in the fire service :). I was hoping to have had better results, but ultimately I was not impressed. I just thought people would be interested in what we did. Unfortunately since I had to pay for the Element out of pocket, it limits me on how many tests I can do. I would be curious to see how it does on a fire after a crash where the front is crumpled and you have better access.

azredzone

First Name
Terrel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Rubicon
No pictures, but added a new windshield. This is the 3rd in 18 months. If you don’t have it already, get the glass option from your insurance company.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Be warned. The seat jacker is great but be cautious if you live near water, humidity, or moisture of any kind. The bolts provided will rust if your neighbor sneezes within 100 yards.

Here is mine after 2 months.

WaX

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? the_horror
Have you considered cleaning it up & spritzing it with some Fluid Film or WD-40 silicone spray?

MrGneissGuy

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
Five miles into my morning commute...
🤬🤬🤬
I heard something smack my windshield this morning on my way into work. I wasn't behind anybody, so if it was a rock, it had to have been from oncoming traffic. I haven't found any dings or chips yet, but will be looking closer this evening. Maybe it was a cicada, but it sure sounded like a rock.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
a QLS receiver plate mounted to the knee panel under the wheel

Oooo. RMR cut. I'm just learning about this solution (and the accompanying prices for Trijicon optics... 😕 )

JP29

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport
Oooo. RMR cut. I'm just learning about this solution (and the accompanying prices for Trijicon optics... 😕 )
Haha well then you might be happy to learn that their competitor Holosun makes optics for the same footprint at around half the price. They're Chinese made, but they're not "cheap", and they've honestly surpassed Trijicon in quite a few departments (battery life/location, reticles, shake-awake) where Trij just coasted on their ACOG laurels. Give em a look, I'm going to try them for my pistol optics from now on. Love the RMR, don't fancy rezeroing every time I change the battery though.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Haha well then you might be happy to learn that their competitor Holosun makes optics for the same footprint at around half the price. They're Chinese made, but they're not "cheap", and they've honestly surpassed Trijicon in quite a few departments (battery life/location, reticles, shake-awake) where Trij just coasted on their ACOG laurels. Give em a look, I'm going to try them for my pistol optics from now on. Love the RMR, don't fancy rezeroing every time I change the battery though.
I've got a Vortex Venom on my Glock 20 and you can change the battery without removing and rezeroing. The battery access is on top. It's very nice and I don't think it has a bigger footprint than the Holosun or Trijicon. Just another option that's out there.

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
I love doing this stuff so if I feel want to revise it in the future it’s just more fun.
Wood working? Man I thought Jeeps were expensive hobby... You must be super rich if you can just play with lumber like that. :LOL: I didn't want to say anything earlier, but I was looking at the pictures thinking you may want to get a security system to protect all that wood you're adding to the Jeep. Would hate to see someone steal an investment like that.

Centurion07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon 2-Dr
Nikon makes the Spur sight, Vortex has some good ones as well. My personal and unsolicited opinion? I don't get the need/benefit for anything more than "iron sights" for self defense distances. If you're shooting at the range, that's cool.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
My new Dana 4.88 UD44 arrived late yesterday and this morning I cut off that god-awful lower stabilizer mount, after work I will finish by grinding off all excess & welds, then paint. With luck, I will install Sunday-just really busy at work the next couple weeks as two of my top sales guys are on vacation, one this week and one next. Still waiting on the replacement Mopar JPP 4.88 UD44 (first one misaligned/miswelded) and will post it up for sale when it arrives. This Dana UD44 shipped directly from Dana and does come with the new Spicer HD ball joints, as I have a new set of Dynatrac ball joints, I will include the Spicer HD ball joints with the Mopar 4.88 UD44 crate axle once it arrives.

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? IMG_2669

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? IMG_2672

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

What are your thoughts on the EVO carrier? Ive heard most of their stuff stuff rusts pretty quick.
most their stuff ships bare metal. depends on who does the powder coat to keep the rust off longer

Flamingsword

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler sport
Nikon makes the Spur sight, Vortex has some good ones as well. My personal and unsolicited opinion? I don't get the need/benefit for anything more than "iron sights" for self defense distances. If you're shooting at the range, that's cool.
I felt the same way until I shot my buddies Canik with the holosun 507c on it. I immediately had to sell my glock to go get a MOS glock to have the red dot option when I have the money. Even at defense distances(7-15 yards) the speed you can pick up the target and transition between targets is so much faster. It also doesn’t hurt that it makes longer range shots with the pistol much easier.