Sponsored

JL Leather trimmed seat option - what exactly are you buying?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
LOL so funny. On my 392 I had no choice but to get leather and I hate it. Cold in winter, sweaty in summer, lose the matte finish quickly and looks cheap. Planning to get some kind of cloth seat covers and keep the original 392 leather underneath.
You just need to find the right leather conditioner.

I use this product; it leaves a low-shine sheen.
Jeep Wrangler JL JL Leather trimmed seat option - what exactly are you buying? 1623341203450

The rule of thumb is: the cheaper the product, the shinier the look.
Sponsored

OP
OP
BruceFL

BruceFL

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
You just need to find the right leather conditioner.

I use this product; it leaves a low-shine sheen.
Jeep Wrangler JL JL Leather trimmed seat option - what exactly are you buying? 1623341203450

The rule of thumb is: the cheaper the product, the shinier the look.
Still, I would imagine that the sections of the seat (in the leather-trimmed) version would not absorb the product, and the result would be a greasy film. I still can't find any information about the leather-trimmed seat option to know which part is leather and which is plastic/vinyl. So frustrating. Seems like there should be a law! :)

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Still, I would imagine that the sections of the seat (in the leather-trimmed) version would not absorb the product, and the result would be a greasy film. I still can't find any information about the leather-trimmed seat option to know which part is leather and which is plastic/vinyl. So frustrating. Seems like there should be a law! :)
I think it is all by design. Automakers don’t want to publicly admit that they are cost-cutting with vinyl when they charge us thousands of dollars for “leather.”

Again, you will find that higher-end care products handle leather —and vinyl— rather well.

Pegleg

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Occupation
Vice President - Woburn Sportsmen's Association
I would have liked to get some of that good Corinthian Leather from a late 70s Chrysler Cordoba. Where is Ricardo Montalbon when you need him? :CWL::CWL:

Sponsored

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I would have liked to get some of that good Corinthian Leather from a late 70s Chrysler Cordoba. Where is Ricardo Montalbon when you need him? :CWL::CWL:
Jeep Wrangler JL JL Leather trimmed seat option - what exactly are you buying? 1623355945421

^^^ THAT is what a leather seat looks like.

Everyone asks 'Corinthian leather?' Of course. Why not the best? - RM, 1980.

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
My 2018 Sahara leather option mostly vinyl, my 2015 Cherokee Trailhawk leather option mostly leather (perforated)?

Go figure, must be a "Jeep Thing"!!! ;)

Go Jeep!!!

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Get you a magnifying glass and look at the Seats. Leather trimmed seats are leatherette material more often than not.

My Sahara leather trimmed seats look like the right side. Perfect markings.

Real leather will have inconsistently spaced pores while leatherette will have perfectly spaced to repeating pores.

Leather trimmed means the seating surface and the seat back are leather (and possible the bolsters), all other sections are vinyl.

They all may say Leather trimmed but its really leatherette unless you get REAL leather. Just take a good look.

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Leather trimmed seat option - what exactly are you buying? 1623376145409

SilverSurfer

First Name
Heinrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 3.6 8-speed Auto
Leather used for vehicle seats in general are treated, colored, sealed and quite thin compared to leather used for a couch or exotic vehicle, they:

1. Crack over time (5 to 8 years).
2. Are non absorbing, "conditioning" treatment products do nothing more than a good old damp cloth.
3. Are not robust to harsh treatment and deteriorates.

Having leather seats is more of a status symbol to stroke over inflated ego's.

The vinyl used for vehicle seats are much more robust and durable compared to leather (Lasts 10 to 20 years). The vinyl material used for the seats is not too different to that of your dash. Vinyl reacts well to treatment products as these products mitigate UV (Sunlight) from "drying out" the vinyl.

Cloth seats stains, is difficult to clean, wear fast, absorbs dust, smaller particles, water and mud. They require frequent cleaning with a strong vacuum cleaner and upholstery treatment such as scotch guard.

I'll take vinyl any day.

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
I am likely in the minority …. But I can’t grasp the combination of leather and a Wrangler. Guess I am not the fancy type! 😀

Sponsored

Robellion

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Definitely go with the Katskin/Mopar option. Real leather, badass looking and feels great. If top off or down in off-roading, then get covers.

Steve JLUR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GC Summit
Jeep Wrangler JL JL Leather trimmed seat option - what exactly are you buying? 1623376145409

^^^ THAT is what a leather seat looks like.

Everyone asks 'Corinthian leather?' Of course. Why not the best? - RM, 1980.
Yep, and everything but the seating surface is vinyl… 🤪

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I've had them on my last two Rubicons.

I can't imagine that they are anything but real leather; certainly not the highest quality, but nevertheless, real. When Jeep refers to them as "Leather-Trimmed" they mean that not all of the seat (most notably the back and lowers) is leather. Puffery is one thing, but Jeep would not be able to get away with an out-and-out lie in their product descriptions. [and...their Legal Dept wouldn't let them try]

ViperJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'N Wrangler JL Rubicon
Leather used for vehicle seats in general are treated, colored, sealed and quite thin compared to leather used for a couch or exotic vehicle, they:

1. Crack over time (5 to 8 years).
2. Are non absorbing, "conditioning" treatment products do nothing more than a good old damp cloth.
3. Are not robust to harsh treatment and deteriorates.

Having leather seats is more of a status symbol to stroke over inflated ego's.

The vinyl used for vehicle seats are much more robust and durable compared to leather (Lasts 10 to 20 years). The vinyl material used for the seats is not too different to that of your dash. Vinyl reacts well to treatment products as these products mitigate UV (Sunlight) from "drying out" the vinyl.

Cloth seats stains, is difficult to clean, wear fast, absorbs dust, smaller particles, water and mud. They require frequent cleaning with a strong vacuum cleaner and upholstery treatment such as scotch guard.

I'll take vinyl any day.
Basically true with one stupid sentence put in. Some high level vehicle trims come with quality leather and some people actually park in garages in which case the leather will last indefinitely with minimal care.

Dryver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe "Bridgette"
I'm just waiting for the Soylent Green leather package that comes out in 2023.
Sponsored