2021 JLU Rubicon Bright White -- The build I've been dreaming about

3000MMiles

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
PHASE ONE COMPLETE, and couldn't be happier with my choices! That is largely due to the hours spent on this forum, so thank you all!!

This is my 3rd Wrangler and 5th Jeep:
1992 YK Islander
1998 TJ Sport
2003 ZJ Laredo
2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk Hemi (Still own)
2021 JLUR Bright White (this build)

My 1st YK was White/Black hardtop like my JLUR. But I never had the means to built it 'right' -- until now.

So we ordered in September 2021 and took delivery October 14, 2020. A photo from the big day:

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 JLU Rubicon Bright White -- The build I've been dreaming about IMG_0410

I spent the next ~6mos researching everything from ~1k YouTube videos to countless JLWF threads. I will be doing some rock crawling, live in Utah so Moab/Sand Hollow/etc are in play. With that, I decided on this as my phase 1:

PHASE 1 BUILD:
@Metalcloak game changer 3.5" lift
@Iconoffroad rebound 17x8 wheels black from @Discount Tire
BFG KM3 37/12.50R17 tires from @Discount Tire
Taser JL Lite programmer
@Smittybilt HD Pivot tire carrier
Suntop Top and Cargo top
Rydonair shorty factory radio antenna replacement
Firestik 3' CB antenna red and SWR meter
Cobra 75 WXST CB
Harken Jeep hardtop hoist system
Xprite Jeep door hangers

WORKING ON FRONT:
Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 JLU Rubicon Bright White -- The build I've been dreaming about IMG_0685

FRONT DONE, NOW THE BACK:
Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 JLU Rubicon Bright White -- The build I've been dreaming about IMG_0761

LIFT DONE:
Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 JLU Rubicon Bright White -- The build I've been dreaming about IMG_0770

LAST GLIMPSE BEFORE GETTING THE 37'S:
Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 JLU Rubicon Bright White -- The build I've been dreaming about IMG_0781

PHASE 1 COMPLETED:

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 JLU Rubicon Bright White -- The build I've been dreaming about 1623276546007

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 JLU Rubicon Bright White -- The build I've been dreaming about 1623276565304

1ST FLEX TEST:
Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 JLU Rubicon Bright White -- The build I've been dreaming about 1623276587807

This is an awesome community. Thank you for all the guidance. And thank you to the few that I reached out to before pulling the trigger.

The jeep rides better than Stock and no rattles -- and I was happy when I cleared by garage by less than 2". I wouldn't change anything I have done so far, with what I now know.

Now to draw up Phase 2....
Thinking some armor, getting rid of plastic bumpers. Won't be long before steering & front driveshaft too. Any other ideas/Suggestions???

Comments welcome. Ready.... Go!!
Sponsored

Themistocles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Ram 2500 Cummins / 20 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
PHASE ONE COMPLETE, and couldn't be happier with my choices! That is largely due to the hours spent on this forum, so thank you all!!

This is my 3rd Wrangler and 5th Jeep:
1992 YK Islander
1998 TJ Sport
2003 ZJ Laredo
2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk Hemi (Still own)
2021 JLUR Bright White (this build)

My 1st YK was White/Black hardtop like my JLUR. But I never had the means to built it 'right' -- until now.

So we ordered in September 2021 and took delivery October 14, 2020. A photo from the big day:

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 JLU Rubicon Bright White -- The build I've been dreaming about 1623276587807

I spent the next ~6mos researching everything from ~1k YouTube videos to countless JLWF threads. I will be doing some rock crawling, live in Utah so Moab/Sand Hollow/etc are in play. With that, I decided on this as my phase 1:

PHASE 1 BUILD:
@Metalcloak game changer 3.5" lift
@Iconoffroad rebound 17x8 wheels black from @Discount Tire
BFG KM3 37/12.50R17 tires from @Discount Tire
Taser JL Lite programmer
@Smittybilt HD Pivot tire carrier
Suntop Top and Cargo top
Rydonair shorty factory radio antenna replacement
Firestik 3' CB antenna red and SWR meter
Cobra 75 WXST CB
Harken Jeep hardtop hoist system
Xprite Jeep door hangers

WORKING ON FRONT:

FRONT DONE, NOW THE BACK:

LIFT DONE:

LAST GLIMPSE BEFORE GETTING THE 37'S:

PHASE 1 COMPLETED:

1ST FLEX TEST:

This is an awesome community. Thank you for all the guidance. And thank you to the few that I reached out to before pulling the trigger.

The jeep rides better than Stock and no rattles -- and I was happy when I cleared by garage by less than 2". I wouldn't change anything I have done so far, with what I now know.

Now to draw up Phase 2....
Thinking some armor, getting rid of plastic bumpers. Won't be long before steering & front driveshaft too. Any other ideas/Suggestions???

Comments welcome. Ready.... Go!!
Looks outstanding! Couple thoughts.
1. Have you ramped it and checked clearance at compression?
2. How much added bump stop do you have...flip side of the same question what is your available up-travel before contacting your bump stop?

Depending on clearance issues and added bump stop, you may want to think about pulling your OEM inner fenders and fender liners out and installing the MC fender brace and inner fenders. That would give you room to pull out some of the added bump stop, allow for full compression and give you the up-travel you would need to prevent bottoming out when driving on whoops or rough terrain at more then a crawl speed.

For me pulling the fenders provided just over 3 inches of clearance and allowed me to drop from 3 inches of added bump to 1 inch...increasing my up-travel from 2.5 to 4.5 inches and going from just over 10 inches of travel at the front shock to just under 13 inches of travel. If you do this you may also have to trim your sway bar links to keep your sway bars off your inner fenders at compression and the whole process would require repeated ramp tests and tuning. However I suspect could substantially increase the capability of the MC suspension.

I would really call something like this phase 1.5 as it really is just getting the most out of what you have already done.

OP
OP
3000MMiles

3000MMiles

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks outstanding! Couple thoughts.
1. Have you ramped it and checked clearance at compression?
2. How much added bump stop do you have...flip side of the same question what is your available up-travel before contacting your bump stop?

Depending on clearance issues and added bump stop, you may want to think about pulling your OEM inner fenders and fender liners out and installing the MC fender brace and inner fenders. That would give you room to pull out some of the added bump stop, allow for full compression and give you the up-travel you would need to prevent bottoming out when driving on whoops or rough terrain at more then a crawl speed.

For me pulling the fenders provided just over 3 inches of clearance and allowed me to drop from 3 inches of added bump to 1 inch...increasing my up-travel from 2.5 to 4.5 inches and going from just over 10 inches of travel at the front shock to just under 13 inches of travel. If you do this you may also have to trim your sway bar links to keep your sway bars off your inner fenders at compression and the whole process would require repeated ramp tests and tuning. However I suspect could substantially increase the capability of the MC suspension.

I would really call something like this phase 1.5 as it really is just getting the most out of what you have already done.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions, @Themistocles!

Answers:

1. Not yet, was hoping to find a spot this weekend
2. Per MC suggestion, I used 3" of bump on all four corners. But I will definitely take your feedback and see what I can do to reduce.

When you say ramp it, do you mean going to a 4x4 shop? I'll have to find one... I had a MC installer do my re-torque/alignment but they didn't have a ramp.

I will be heading to either Moab/Sand Hollow this fall with a friend with a CJ that is more buggy than Jeep who sh** on the 'mid' arm. So will want that up travel.

If anyone knows of a ramp in Salt Lake, let me know!

Themistocles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Ram 2500 Cummins / 20 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Thanks for the comments and suggestions, @Themistocles!

Answers:

1. Not yet, was hoping to find a spot this weekend
2. Per MC suggestion, I used 3" of bump on all four corners. But I will definitely take your feedback and see what I can do to reduce.

When you say ramp it, do you mean going to a 4x4 shop? I'll have to find one... I had a MC installer do my re-torque/alignment but they didn't have a ramp.

I will be heading to either Moab/Sand Hollow this fall with a friend with a CJ that is more buggy than Jeep who sh** on the 'mid' arm. So will want that up travel.

If anyone knows of a ramp in Salt Lake, let me know!
Yes, unless you are lucky enough to have a ramp yourself or have a buddy with one, then yes, heading in to a top-level 4x4 shop I think could be valuable.

I suspect that an MC mid-arm tuned well, with fenders adjusted should get you pretty close to 13 inches of travel in front and something like 12 - 12.5 in the rear. That should do well on any trail up rated up to 7 or 8.

OP
OP
3000MMiles

3000MMiles

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Themistocles: I called 4-5 shops and so far, no ramps available in SLC, UT. I'll keep looking...

So on Saturday, I drove out to 'Little Moab' an hour out of Salt Lake to stretch the legs.

After some testing, and looking at each corner with different wheels elevated... I need to find 2-3 more inches to extend the front locker wiring harness and the front diff hose -- hopefully I can clip some more cable ties to find the added slack in the front. The cables/etc on the rear axle are all good, no issues.

In checking the bump stops, I would need to get rid of the rear bumper and fenders to go lower than the 3" of rear bump stop.

In the front, I think I could go from 3" to 2" bump stop as it sits today. The front bumper is actually looking like it will hit before wheel wells -- so I plan to adjust down to 2" and am going back to Little Moab a week from Saturday and will see how we do.

But was very happy with how it performed for the first flex. Getting some good extension, and I'm sure I"ll continue to tweak in order to get even more out of my @Metalcloak 3.5" game changer.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 JLU Rubicon Bright White -- The build I've been dreaming about IMG_0836

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 JLU Rubicon Bright White -- The build I've been dreaming about IMG_0833

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 JLU Rubicon Bright White -- The build I've been dreaming about IMG_0831

Sponsored

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Photographer/ Content Creator
I had Dixie 4Wheel Drive install my lift at their St. George shop. They use a forklift to check clearances/bump stops. Be sure and cycle the steering as well to check steering linkage, stabilizer, drop links, bumper/tire clearance, etc. A ramp or forklift is great because you can literally take the suspension to full stuff/droop.

Pic for reference, 3.5" MC Game Changer/Falcon SP2 3.3's
Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 JLU Rubicon Bright White -- The build I've been dreaming about IMG_0854

Keep up the great work, your build is lookingšŸ‘ŒšŸ»

-Steven

OP
OP
3000MMiles

3000MMiles

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had Dixie 4Wheel Drive install my lift at their St. George shop. They use a forklift to check clearances/bump stops. Be sure and cycle the steering as well to check steering linkage, stabilizer, drop links, bumper/tire clearance, etc. A ramp or forklift is great because you can literally take the suspension to full stuff/droop.

Pic for reference, 3.5" MC Game Changer/Falcon SP2 3.3's
Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 JLU Rubicon Bright White -- The build I've been dreaming about IMG_0854

Keep up the great work, your build is lookingšŸ‘ŒšŸ»

-Steven
@ExpeditionBuilds That photo is one of the many reasons I ordered a Metal Cloak GC. I have a bit of work to do, but I'm chasing that result. My father and Father IL have homes in STG, so I'll definitely be looking for a reason to spend time with Dixie4x4... er..... with my family. :)

OP
OP
3000MMiles

3000MMiles

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A word on one of my top 5 mods to date:

https://cmmoffroad.com/products/cmm-jl-side-mirrors-with-1-ball-mount-solution

CMM Offroad aka Carolina Metal Masters makes what I think are the best doors-off mirror kit available.

I mounted them on the bottom instead of the top of the grab bars, which I think helps me see both the ground when reversing and not being too tall over traffic on the streets.

$300 is a lot -- but they don't move, look good, and make doors off a breeze even for my weefe.

Buy them if you are in the market!

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 JLU Rubicon Bright White -- The build I've been dreaming about IMG_0867

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 JLU Rubicon Bright White -- The build I've been dreaming about IMG_0865

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 JLU Rubicon Bright White -- The build I've been dreaming about IMG_0863

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
@ExpeditionBuilds That photo is one of the many reasons I ordered a Metal Cloak GC. I have a bit of work to do, but I'm chasing that result. My father and Father IL have homes in STG, so I'll definitely be looking for a reason to spend time with Dixie4x4... er..... with my family. :)
Appreciate the compliment Mason. I love the MC Game Changer! Definitely check out Dixie next time you're in St. George, great people, incredible shop.

If you're around for a few days, ask if they are taking any groups out wheeling. We did a West Rim night run with them...had a great time and learned a lot. Sand Hollow has some great trails.

-Steven

OP
OP
3000MMiles

3000MMiles

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6mos review on the @Metalcloak 3.5ā€ gamechanger ā€” could NOT be happier! Great ride, exceptional performance, would definitely buy it again exactly as selected.

Have a small amount of wobble with the 37ā€™s, so just took advantage of the 10% off black Friday sale, and ordered the @Metalcloak Rubicon Steering system with billet mount. I have read that will tame the larger tires, so looking forward to another MC project soon.

Also had added a hood and fender decals from @pixeldecals ā€” great customer service, BTW! Highly recommend them.

B7E432BC-54C7-4BF6-B2CF-E5770E781CF8.jpeg

Sponsored

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
6mos review on the @Metalcloak 3.5ā€ gamechanger ā€” could NOT be happier! Great ride, exceptional performance, would definitely buy it again exactly as selected.

Have a small amount of wobble with the 37ā€™s, so just took advantage of the 10% off black Friday sale, and ordered the @Metalcloak Rubicon Steering system with billet mount. I have read that will tame the larger tires, so looking forward to another MC project soon.

Also had added a hood and fender decals from @pixeldecals ā€” great customer service, BTW! Highly recommend them.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 JLU Rubicon Bright White -- The build I've been dreaming about B7E432BC-54C7-4BF6-B2CF-E5770E781CF8
You'll love the full MC steering linkage. I had it on my build for ~ 30K mi. and it's been flawless.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5HJ5REOo6XbFuakJem6TTw

-Steven

NewbieJon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
What shocks are those?

How would you compare the ride quality of the Gamechanger 3.5 to the stock Rubicon, in terms of absorbing bumps in the road. Does it absorb bumps better, about the same, or is it harsher and firmer?

I am considering the MC 3.5, but I would like the ride quality to be about the same or a little softer than stock.

OP
OP
3000MMiles

3000MMiles

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What shocks are those?

How would you compare the ride quality of the Gamechanger 3.5 to the stock Rubicon, in terms of absorbing bumps in the road. Does it absorb bumps better, about the same, or is it harsher and firmer?

I am considering the MC 3.5, but I would like the ride quality to be about the same or a little softer than stock.
Thanks for the question
I did an exhaustively anal amount of research over about 5 mos before buying my @Metalcloak GC 3.5. I give large credit to @rustyshakelford and @ExpeditionBuilds for all of their content and commentary on MC over a long period of time.

Iā€™m about 9mos into my install on MC and couldnā€™t be happier In every way. The road performance was priority 1. But it flexes massively too. Best of both worlds.

I am running 37x12.50 and did start to get some bump steer and early signs of wobble. I recently installed the MC steering kit, which a steering kit will likely be in the roadmap of anyone wanting better than stock performance on 37+ tires so be aware of that as a future project. Not specific to MC. Update pending on this mod.

I went with Rocksport shocks and am very happy. No need to do anything else unless you are flexing every week. Road performance again is awesome. Even my wife is totally comfortable at 85mph on the freeway, which was a great test for me.

And to your specific question. I think MC is an amazing fit for a non-harsh ride on the road, it rides better than stock IMO. Itā€™s not harsh in any way. Very happy with @Metalcloak!!

PS. Their customer service is exceptional. No other way to put it.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have questions.

OP
OP
3000MMiles

3000MMiles

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I am about 30days into having the @Metalcloak steering system for my JLU rubicon installed. I chose to pay 1hour labor to a local MC service center install it plus $150 for an alignment. And I am on 37x12.50 BFGs.

The Result:
100% of bump steering gone
Very tight and responsive
85mph+ is comfortable and solid
Actually made a bigger difference than I thought
Feel confident knowing Iā€™ve eliminated a weak point of failure possibility

See the post above on the MC GC suspension.

At this point, I am 1000% satisfied with dedicating my suspension build to MC with this combination. Better than stock on the road. Awesome offroad performance/flex. And living in Utah, I give all the local Teraflex friends pause for choosing the ā€˜status quoā€™, even though I have used TF on my last build with good result.

80A6ACEF-9CE8-4C95-9F7F-F35595F329EF.jpeg

F45810DC-1F10-4C4F-9701-F8D4C1EE7FB2.jpeg

mikem20

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Nice build! šŸ‘šŸ»
I just upgraded my drag link and tie rod as well, although a different manufacturer. I noticed the same improvements. The factory ball joints just werenā€™t as solid. Makes a noticeable difference!
Sponsored