Big cities (NYC) Jeep Culture and some ugly mods

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2017 Tahoe LTZ
We live outside the pocono’s. Grew up in nepa. Before kids my wife and myself would drive into the city on weekend for her to just shop and then go to my dad’s cousin’s restaurant in the upper east side. We would even drive into the city on a Friday just for dinner. Hey when u don’t have kids. I love being in the city forcthe day. But we always and still do say take me home. Put me back on the boat or sitting on the river bank and let us fish. I love visiting but I just couldn’t live there. I would always be on edge.
Sponsored

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I live close to NYC in NJ (just my luck - I am stuck here for another 8 years I think) but I found out that the Jeep lifestyle here are very different from places that are far from big cities. I was driving around Sparta NJ (near the Poconos mountain) and there are a lot of Jeep there but everyone is like the friendliest people ever, there are a lot of Jeep and most of them waves. Don't get me wrong - Jeep wave is awesome but it does not define a person love for Jeep or something but it is nice that strangers are friendly with you.

But it is all together a different thing in NYC. I know that some people had posted thread about the futility of connecting with Jeep owners in NYC or big cities - that they are driving a Jeep because it looks good but lack the love for anything Jeep. (Lets hope that these noobs buy Broncos instead). This is what I observed.

1. There are a lot of tiny asian woman with shiny nails (hey I live close to Washington Bridge - and Ft. Lee is an Asian enclave specifically Korean) that will NOT wave at you. The worst thing is that you see a Jeep coming and you are giving the peace sign only to find out that it was some asian lady that see you but would not wave.
  2. Don't bother waving at super shiny JLU - they almost never wave back
  3. Good luck waving at Jeep Gladiator - the people that own it here don't wave at all - worst there give you some really contempt look.
  4. People that wears a hat usually will wave back - but I think most Jeepers that are into Jeep culture wear a hat.
  5. I know this sound bad - but we have a lot of immigrants here and these minority usually will not wave back which is okay.
  6. There are a LOT of Jeep with really UGLY mods here. It is like they totally rip the good look and replaced it with something that they think its cool but it is unJeep like and cringy. And don't bother talking to them about their mods because they will look at you funny and think - what the f are you talking to me about my vehicle. (photo below)
  7. I have a hard time waving at angry eyes Jeep - the angrier they are the more I look ahead.
So yeah - when I was in Sparta I was really happy to see so many friendly Jeep. But I stop waving on the streets in Manhattan or NYC. I am selective when it comes to waving to others Jeeper - where I will look at the composition of the Jeep, who is driving it and the clothing they are wearing.

I think that JL is really popular with many people - a lot of them are not previous Jeep owner or understand the Jeep culture or grew up wanting a Jeep (just like me). However I think that these people will gravitate towards Broncos when it is more ubiquitous on the street and I really have no problem with that. Bronco essentially rips everything that Jeep is doing - they might be able to copy the design style, the marketing scheme but I think that it would be hard for them to copy the Jeep spirit.

Resized_20210609_160012.jpeg
Simple answer here.... Its the Subway mentality "You don't talk to/wave to anyone on the subway, as they might be crazy, and doing so could get you into all sorts of trouble, or killed". That's why most people don't wave. I for one wouldn't wave to anyone in NYC unless they wave to me first, and even then if it was some sort of crazy wave I still wouldn't wave back.

Wbino

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
I live close to NYC in NJ (just my luck - I am stuck here for another 8 years I think) but I found out that the Jeep lifestyle here are very different from places that are far from big cities. I was driving around Sparta NJ (near the Poconos mountain) and there are a lot of Jeep there but everyone is like the friendliest people ever, there are a lot of Jeep and most of them waves. Don't get me wrong - Jeep wave is awesome but it does not define a person love for Jeep or something but it is nice that strangers are friendly with you.

But it is all together a different thing in NYC. I know that some people had posted thread about the futility of connecting with Jeep owners in NYC or big cities - that they are driving a Jeep because it looks good but lack the love for anything Jeep. (Lets hope that these noobs buy Broncos instead). This is what I observed.

1. There are a lot of tiny asian woman with shiny nails (hey I live close to Washington Bridge - and Ft. Lee is an Asian enclave specifically Korean) that will NOT wave at you. The worst thing is that you see a Jeep coming and you are giving the peace sign only to find out that it was some asian lady that see you but would not wave.
  3. Good luck waving at Jeep Gladiator - the people that own it here don't wave at all - worst there give you some really contempt look.
  4. People that wears a hat usually will wave back - but I think most Jeepers that are into Jeep culture wear a hat.
  5. I know this sound bad - but we have a lot of immigrants here and these minority usually will not wave back which is okay.
  6. There are a LOT of Jeep with really UGLY mods here. It is like they totally rip the good look and replaced it with something that they think its cool but it is unJeep like and cringy. And don't bother talking to them about their mods because they will look at you funny and think - what the f are you talking to me about my vehicle. (photo below)
  7. I have a hard time waving at angry eyes Jeep - the angrier they are the more I look ahead.
So yeah - when I was in Sparta I was really happy to see so many friendly Jeep. But I stop waving on the streets in Manhattan or NYC. I am selective when it comes to waving to others Jeeper - where I will look at the composition of the Jeep, who is driving it and the clothing they are wearing.

I think that JL is really popular with many people - a lot of them are not previous Jeep owner or understand the Jeep culture or grew up wanting a Jeep (just like me). However I think that these people will gravitate towards Broncos when it is more ubiquitous on the street and I really have no problem with that. Bronco essentially rips everything that Jeep is doing - they might be able to copy the design style, the marketing scheme but I think that it would be hard for them to copy the Jeep spirit.

If this isn't a troll he's an idiot.

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
Growing up within the Tristate area I will tell you it’s pretty common.

Asfor the Korean thing, it was rather surprising to me while I was stationed over there for 15 months, the Jeep culture and off-roading is pretty strong. There are more than a few Jeep shops. On of the Captains I worked with had a JK and said it was actually cheaper buying US made parts there than in the states 🤦🏻‍♂️

It maybe something to do with the mandatory military service exposing the citizens to the Jeep culture. They use Korean produced M715s.

Sponsored

omg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
growing up in city, it is more of a city mentality, avoid eye contact, say fewer words, avoid being overly friendly, dont hang around too long (and get mugged). you say hello to your neighbor more than once or twice a year, next thing they are asking you for sugar, always in rush. driving for mundane things like grocery shopping in cities is hectic. roads are congested, people are tired. i lived in brooklyn rough housing (crackheads, drug dealers, prostitutes etc hanging out in the building hallways doing business) for more than a decade and familiar with this behavior.

i would say, it has less to do with jeep but in general a tough life living there thats all.

Sgt Pickles

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara
My wife was an admitted patient there for 3 months this year, I would drive once a week and take the train in the rest of the time. When you're driving in New York City you don't have any time to wave to people You're too busy trying not to get hit and make time with the lights.
Hope all is well with the wife. I don’t mind driving in NYC, it’s honestly not that bad since Covid. It was a lot worse before the pandemic.

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
Agreed.... surprised he didn't say "Black people don't wave because they are too busy repositioning their huge c@#$s.
In his defense I have seen @KenPewPew post here often before. I dont think he is a racist or a bigot. Yes the choice of words could have been better but I do not think he has any ill will towards anyone. He is a good fella overall.

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase
I assume you're native American then?
My mother was straight off the Reservation of the Great Cherokee Nation in Oklahoma.... My father 1st generation off the boat from Sicily..... and sometimes I am repositioning..... can't have no hate for no one ..... gotta love everyone equally ..... not sure where their path in life has taken them .....

Sponsored

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
In his defense I have seen @KenPewPew post here often before. I don't think he is a racist or a bigot. Yes the choice of words could have been better but I do not think he has any ill will towards anyone. He is a good fella overall.
Not calling anyone a racist... but his generalizations, caused me to make some generalizations of my own.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon

1st generation American, born in Manhattan, raised in N. Jersey, paid the toll then escaped.
Don't expect Jeep culture to override NYC culture. They are diametrically opposed and in NYC, NYC culture will win.

1) DWA (Driving While Asian) is a thing. Sorry Asians, but it's true. It's not because they're idiots, it's cultural. The Asian cultural pressure to be polite, passive, and not stand out translates to indecisiveness while driving. Especially so with women who are more culturally pressured to be that way. As most of us know, indecisive driving is worse than decisive bad driving and that's where DWA comes from. Which I find ironic, the culture that came up with the concept of Zen is decidedly not Zen during the one activity that most Americans are in their most Zen-like frame of mind. So i wouldn't think twice about not getting a wave from the typical Ft Lee Asian woman. Wave while driving? Oh no, that's cray-cray and is behavior that will make me stand out! (but apparently nails are an exception to that?)

2) Welcome to the world of the Mall Crawler. They're everywhere.

3) In NYC you get a Gladiator to be large and obnoxious. That's not the wavey kind of person and can be considered more Truck culture.

4) The hat is an interesting indicator. I can see that working in the NYC area.

5) Give the immigrants some slack. They're still trying to figure out American culture, Jeep culture can be too big an ask. But wave anyway, they'll get it eventually.

6) The highly (and tacky) modded Jeeps aren't Jeep culture. It's a sub-culture. Kind of like a hip-hop adaptation of Jeep culture. The same way they adopted Timberland boots, never took them off pavement, and demanded that Timberland expand their color choices beyond light brown (which Timberland wisely did much to their financial gain). On the bright side, they think Jeeps look cool and they urbanized them so they can be a part of it too. But they only adopted the Jeep image, they retain their own culture. So waves won't happen, don't bother.

7) Angry eyes are a good indicator of "No waves, please".

That said, NYC is a great world class city. If you think New Yorkers are rude, they're not. You don't understand the culture and in NYC, you are the rude one. The #1 most misunderstood thing about NYC culture? The rudest thing you can do in NYC is waste someone's time. Calling someone's mother a whore isn't good, but wasting someone's time, delaying them, or making them wait is far more offensive. For example, if someone is walking down the street and you make them stop and wait for more than 3 seconds, you owe them a direct (and brief) apology as you quickly get out of their way. ...'effin tourists.

sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lexus GX, 2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov
This entire thread is in poor taste.

Chalk it up to cultural differences, and leave it at that. Do we want to talk about other demographics who like skinny tires on deep dish rims?

Specific to Asian folks not waving back:

I was a foreign exchange student who ended up studying in Japan.

One cultural nuance - The Japanese do not believe in maintaining eye contact. Looking at someone for more than a few seconds can be considered rude, possibly hostile.

In contrast, we Americans maintain eye contact to establish trust and confidence. “Look at me when I’m speaking to you!” How many times have we heard our parents and teachers say that? “Look me in the eye.” Does that sound familiar?

It’s fascinating that something as fundamental as body language can be so different across cultures.

So, it’s not hard to imagine Koreans not waving to folks they don’t know. I know for a fact that certain Inuits will refuse to greet strangers, as they consider that a bad omen.

Granted, this was many many moons ago, and we’re in a globalized society. But this “you’re in America now, be American” mindset really needs to go.

Last edited:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
NYC is one large collection of a-holes.

Oops, was that my inner voice, again...?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.