Sponsored

First oil change on the 392... Information regarding Mopar's alternate oil filter for the 6.4

Deleted member 67726

Hahahaha I twist them oil filters on real tight on my jeep renegade, and then use my oil filter wrench a few times for good measure...just use them man hands to rip it off then!!!

Just like u r supposed to use a certain torque when tightening lug nuts for wheels during a tir rotation...bro just use the gun and slam em on...diagonal back on the fronts and rears forward!

Some people are afraid and overly delicate with their cars and I get that, but...Unfortunately a lot of working on cars is using the muscles you didn't know you had hahahaha
Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I've been changing my own oil for 40 yrs(except for a few free ones), and I have never had an issue where I had to go back and re-tighten a filter. I just lube the gasket with some oil, and hand tighten it. Not overly hand tightened. Never had them leak.

OP
OP
0II392II0

0II392II0

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURH
I've been changing my own oil for 40 yrs(except for a few free ones), and I have never had an issue where I had to go back and re-tighten a filter. I just lube the gasket with some oil, and hand tighten it. Not overly hand tightened. Never had them leak.
That's great! I went 20 years without an issue too! It's a tight fit and if you put something larger then the stock lemon sided one on it you too might have a hard time getting a grip on it. If you go through my pictures before throwing out pointless comments you would know I hand tightened it, but once again, if you read the thread there is no room to get a grip on it. So I tightened with tool in little increments so it didn't get over tightened. Cheers to you going another 40 without an issue :like:. I posted my experience with something outside the norm with all details to help and share with others, emphasizing on how tight of a fit this. This thread is for those who are interested in the other Mopar filters for this engine. If you feel the small filter it comes with is fine, even better I'm sure you'll make it to 41 years without having to check.

I'm sure I was the first to do this and was trying to help those in the future who might venture to alternate options, I'm not sure why people skim read (and if you didn't I really just don't understand your post, at least the point of it) and comment as if I didn't cover the reason as to why I had to go back and adjust. If you reread and get under your 392 and look, then you would see why "hand tightening" didn't work, as I even clear stated in the original post "there is a point to this" letting you know there is a reason just "hand tightening" didn't work, getting tired of repeating my self; YOU CANNOT JUST SIMPLY HAND TIGHTEN IT. YOU CAN"T GET YOUR HAND AROUND IT. YOU ARE ONLY ABLE TO GET YOUR FINGER TIPS ON IT. Thanks for the oil changing tips though.

1623396226677.png

Deleted member 67726

That's great! I went 20 years without an issue too! It's a tight fit and if you put something larger then the stock lemon sided one on it you too might have a hard time getting a grip on it. If you go through my pictures before throwing out pointless comments you would know I hand tightened it, but once again, if you read the thread there is no room to get a grip on it. So I tightened with tool in little increments so it didn't get over tightened. Cheers to you going another 40 without an issue :like:. I posted my experience with something outside the norm with all details to help and share with others, emphasizing on how tight of a fit this. This thread is for those who are interested in the other Mopar filters for this engine. If you feel the small filter it comes with is fine, even better I'm sure you'll make it to 41 years without having to check.

I'm sure I was the first to do this and was trying to help those in the future who might venture to alternate options, I'm not sure why people skim read (and if you didn't I really just don't understand your post, at least the point of it) and comment as if I didn't cover the reason as to why I had to go back and adjust. If you reread and get under your 392 and look, then you would see why "hand tightening" didn't work, as I even clear stated in the original post "there is a point to this" letting you know there is a reason just "hand tightening" didn't work, getting tired of repeating my self; YOU CANNOT JUST SIMPLY HAND TIGHTEN IT. YOU CAN"T GET YOUR HAND AROUND IT. YOU ARE ONLY ABLE TO GET YOUR FINGER TIPS ON IT. Thanks for the oil changing tips though.

Jeep Wrangler JL First oil change on the 392... Information regarding Mopar's alternate oil filter for the 6.4 1623396226677
Awww man you are too funny, I legitimately appreciated this whole thread you created!

Do people forget dealerships don't pay their certified mechanics all that well? Hence the reason they hire people who are mostly clueless and just half ass the work they bill the jeep loving customer for? Lol

Everyone has their own version of tightening things on a car, I just laugh because if you never had to use your muscles to get a rusty bolt out for anything, then you never really worked on a car hahaha...working on cars and hand tightening everything lol is that how u tighten on the wheel lug nuts too? LOL

I think the guy read my post and was like only hand tighten stuff, u morons lol 😆

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red

1623396226677.png
Just injecting my experiences with tightening filters. No need to get so "Testy".
I will add, that when filters are put on, very tight, many times they are extremely hard to remove, even with a filter wrench.
I had a filter on my truck, that was installed at the factory, and the thing was on so tight that the filter wrench(strap) twisted the filter. I mean it twisted the metal. I went old school and had to jam a large screw driver, thru and thru, then twist it off.
Another time, recently, the wife's Toyota Highlander had a filter overly tightened by a mechanic(wife likes the free oil changes) and even with the specialty wrench, I couldnt budge it. I took it back to the dealership, and told them, they over tightened it, now they get to fix it. They even had trouble removing it off.
Moral of the story: try not to over tighten oil filters, use oil on the gasket, and "Lighten Up Francis" .

Sponsored

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
Definitely going to get the larger filter.
I always use an oil filter socket type wrench on all my vehicles. For some reason, I don't trust what I am feeling with just my hands so I'll tighten snug with my hands then follow up with an 1/8th turn with the wrench.
hyundai_kia_88mm_oil_filter_wrench_2_2048x.jpg

Deleted member 67726

So maybe I've been doing it the hard way all these years hahaha...does that fit the oil filter size for our 392 the oil filter socket wrench you pictured above? It would be much easier than trying to hand tighten or using those crappy pliers oil filter grabber haha

I really enjoyed doing oil changes on the penstar v6 wrangler because it had a similar thing and you could access it from the top of the engine and it had that black plastic case to put the filter into!

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
So maybe I've been doing it the hard way all these years hahaha...does that fit the oil filter size for our 392 the oil filter socket wrench you pictured above? It would be much easier than trying to hand tighten or using those crappy pliers oil filter grabber haha

I really enjoyed doing oil changes on the penstar v6 wrangler because it had a similar thing and you could access it from the top of the engine and it had that black plastic case to put the filter into!
Not that specific one, no.
I have a few different sizes in my tool collection for all the different filters I use. I don't have my 392 yet but plan on tracking down the correct size if I don't already have it once it arrives. Makes life much easier.

SSWIM

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
Messing around and changed my oil last night. Stuck with stock filter as I believe it is more than adequate. No issues at all. Not discounting the OPs reasoning for a larger filter. Just my 02 the original is just fine.

BTW, 13mmX6pt. socket for drain plug. Fits perfect.

Sam

Last edited:

Deleted member 67726

I did an oil change and damn my 392 definitely runs better and did a tire rotation with the spare going in...hopefully I helped fix the shitty backup camera by banging tires on it lol

I only had 2317 miles on it and boy do I wish I did it like maybe 1k miles sooner...wonder what jeep wave or jeep cares does? Free one every 10k? Lol they probably don't even use 0w40 like they recommend haha

Also it only took me 6 quarts and 4 ounces to a good level on the dip stick and manual stated 6.7 quarts, maybe the expert jeep dealers will follow the manual and overfill the 392 for ur jeep waves care packages hahahahahahaha 🤣

Sponsored

Billet Wilson

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU RHR / 2021 Ruby 392
Does anyone know the torque spec for the drain plug?

Als@Ohio

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97, 15, 18 Wranglers
Nice post...you might have missed another +, for the SRT filter. Larger canister, the more filtering material in the filter. I agree with you Jeep is not going to put the more extensive filter on the engine when a cheaper one meets the minimum requirements. You have to look at it from a manufacturing point. Every extra dollar spent on a part, is one less dollar they will make on the vehicle.

Ben_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 392 Granite Crystal
Just got the first oil change done. Is it possible to not get oil everywhere when taking the oil filter off? I had rubber gloves on and the pan positioned perfectly. But nope, oil shot everywhere, filter slipped out of my hands when it came off the threads. Why did Jeep decide to put all the steering things right under the filter... I don't remember that on my TJ, but that was 15 years ago :CWL:

Also it only took me 6 quarts and 4 ounces to a good level on the dip stick and manual stated 6.7 quarts, maybe the expert jeep dealers will follow the manual and overfill the 392 for ur jeep waves care packages hahahahahahaha 🤣

I used the same filter as stock (but have the bigger ones talked about here on order) and re-filled with 6.5 quarts. 6 quarts first. Then ran the 392 around the subdivision, then added another half quart. That puts me at the halfway spot on the dipstick. I think if a dealership adds 6.7 quarts, you'll be fine...

Deleted member 67726

Just got the first oil change done. Is it possible to not get oil everywhere when taking the oil filter off? I had rubber gloves on and the pan positioned perfectly. But nope, oil shot everywhere, filter slipped out of my hands when it came off the threads. Why did Jeep decide to put all the steering things right under the filter... I don't remember that on my TJ, but that was 15 years ago :CWL:

I used the same filter as stock (but have the bigger ones talked about here on order) and re-filled with 6.5 quarts. 6 quarts first. Then ran the 392 around the subdivision, then added another half quart. That puts me at the halfway spot on the dipstick. I think if a dealership adds 6.7 quarts, you'll be fine...
Hahahahahaha idk dealerships have no clue in my opinion...its a big engine but at 6 quarts my dipstick was completely full so i hesitantly kept adding another 4 ounces, I rather be on the safer side and not overfill

But I agree the steering bars and stabilizer got drenched in oil and kept dripping for another day because I didn't want to clean it off too much, I initially thought it was my filter but I think it was old black oil dripping that I didn't clean up on those steering bars lol
Sponsored