Sponsored

How do you like your 392 Jeep!?!?!?

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
Every time I drive it the word effortless comes to mind. So easy to drive, never have to worry if I have enough power to pass or enter traffic, etc.

As someone else said, driving it is a sense of occasion. Every time is special. Sounds so nice.

The power at highway speeds is surprising. At 60, it pulls like a freight train. Never had a vehicle with this level of pull.

Gets lots of attention from those who know what it is, but for those who don't know, they ignore it and think it's just any other Jeep.

A few key cons from my side (most of these are easy enough to reconcile, but I shouldn't have to):
- Not enough up travel, constantly hitting the bump stops - should have come with Mojave bumps
- Leather seats (leather is hot, would have liked to have a cloth option)
- Should have come with 35s
- Door removal connectors are a PITA
Are you hitting bump stops while driving on the street?
Sponsored

pnut

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392 XR
Are you hitting bump stops while driving on the street?
For sure not. Street no problem, and even minor dune running is ok. It's when I drive a little quicker that it get's to be too much.

On my 2007 JK with long arm and Teraflex Speedbumps it was manageable. I intend to put King Hydro bump stops on my 392 to manage that on this one. It was just kind of a shock how little uptravel there was.

parkertl

First Name
Parker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392 XR, 21 S Plaid, 03 Terminator
Took delivery three days ago. Just barely getting past break-in and it's amazing.

Turning radius actually feels slightly worse to me, though mostly it feels like it binds a little when you're moving slowly (nothing bad, I'm assuming it's from the engine weight).

Steering feels vastly improved and tighter, especially at speed, though I never had the steering box replaced on my 3.6 since it was perfectly fine.

Definitely seconded on bumpstop/uptravel too. Seems like they should have gone with an even higher spring rate to account for the weight.

Leather seats look a little more greyish than my 2020 ones were, and do feel higher quality.

Attention level is through the roof, I've haven't seen another one around here yet.
Im glad to hear that they dialed in the steering, that was my biggest JL nightmare. Hopefully they come out with an SB for the bumpstops.
If it goes another 3 months with no one reporting major issues ill get into the secondary market (assuming they never start taking orders again)

graytrucks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392, 2020 LR Discovery, 2015 RR Sport SC
I picked up my 392 yesterday; Sting Gray, Sky One Touch, half doors, tow package, matte black grill, tailgate reinforcement. Paid MSRP and bough the Mopar MaxCare 8 year/75k mile warranty.

First impressions - much of this has been shared already from other owners...
That engine... I would summarize as what feels like a $30k vehicle with a $100k engine.
The sound is awesome...quieter at idle than I expected, but louder on throttle than I expected. It's very loud! If this engine only produced 100 HP but sounded like this, I would still pay $20K+ more than a regular Rubicon. The quiet feature is great - I assumed I would never use it, but I already have.
The height/stance is great, it just needs bigger tires. I am ordering wheels/tires today.
I like the factory wheels more than I thought I would....not enough to not swap them for wider ones, but I do like them.
The ride is comfortable, and the Jeep absorbs bumps well.
The steering and handling (IMO) are pretty bad. Despite the power, I feel no need to actually drive fast. The Jeep is too clumsy to push hard. Highway driving is less fun than back road; I think this will be a weekend cruiser and definitely not a daily driver. (I sold my previous Wrangler and CJ after trying to daily drive them....this will be a toy.)
The boxes for the half doors are huge. I need to get a storage cart for the doors before I can switch out the full doors.
The UConnect is great...nice to be back to a UConnect after two Land Rovers with awful infotainment systems. Basically the same as my last Grand Cherokee.
Overall, it's a lot of fun to drive! It has the fun of a Wrangler but with more presence.

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
I picked up my 392 yesterday; Sting Gray, Sky One Touch, half doors, tow package, matte black grill, tailgate reinforcement. Paid MSRP and bough the Mopar MaxCare 8 year/75k mile warranty.

First impressions - much of this has been shared already from other owners...
That engine... I would summarize as what feels like a $30k vehicle with a $100k engine.
The sound is awesome...quieter at idle than I expected, but louder on throttle than I expected. It's very loud! If this engine only produced 100 HP but sounded like this, I would still pay $20K+ more than a regular Rubicon. The quiet feature is great - I assumed I would never use it, but I already have.
The height/stance is great, it just needs bigger tires. I am ordering wheels/tires today.
I like the factory wheels more than I thought I would....not enough to not swap them for wider ones, but I do like them.
The ride is comfortable, and the Jeep absorbs bumps well.
The steering and handling (IMO) are pretty bad. Despite the power, I feel no need to actually drive fast. The Jeep is too clumsy to push hard. Highway driving is less fun than back road; I think this will be a weekend cruiser and definitely not a daily driver. (I sold my previous Wrangler and CJ after trying to daily drive them....this will be a toy.)
The boxes for the half doors are huge. I need to get a storage cart for the doors before I can switch out the full doors.
The UConnect is great...nice to be back to a UConnect after two Land Rovers with awful infotainment systems. Basically the same as my last Grand Cherokee.
Overall, it's a lot of fun to drive! It has the fun of a Wrangler but with more presence.
Did you come from a JL? If so, how would you compare the handling between a regular JL and the 392? I've read/heard mixed opinions on this.

Sponsored

graytrucks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392, 2020 LR Discovery, 2015 RR Sport SC
Did you come from a JL? If so, how would you compare the handling between a regular JL and the 392? I've read/heard mixed opinions on this.
I did not come from a JL...actually had never driven a JL until picking this up yesterday. Last Wrangler I drove was a JK (and my dad's TJ which is another story), and I remember thinking it was all over the place. The 392 seems better than that but obviously worse than most other modern vehicles.

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
I did not come from a JL...actually had never driven a JL until picking this up yesterday. Last Wrangler I drove was a JK (and my dad's TJ which is another story), and I remember thinking it was all over the place. The 392 seems better than that but obviously worse than most other modern vehicles.
I have a 392 on order and am coming from a JLUR. I'm not looking for the 392 to be sporty but any improvement in handling would be welcome.

I am in Massachusetts like you. I have yet to see a 392 on the road.

Jjirish

First Name
Jenne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep 392, 2024 Jeep 392, 2023 BMW X7C
Occupation
Lurking the forum
Well…. I don’t really know what to say about my 392…..
I EFFIN LOVE THAT BAD BOY!
Seriously, this “Jeep” is like no other I have ever driven and I don’t just mean that growling power under the hood.
I could go into detail, but I don’t want to. Go drive one.
However awesome you “think” a 392 is, you’re wrong.
It’s so much better.
Im faster than old boys raptor. He is not happy….
Guess who is ordering his own 392?

el_guapo

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Dodge Viper, JLU 392
It's kind of cool that they just announced their electric initiatives yesterday. This will be the last opty to get a v8 Wrangler, so unique, distinctive, old school and rare. I bought my Dodge Viper a couple months before they announced end of production. I've basically driven it for free for 4 years as it keeps going up in value. I feel like this 392 will be similar.

Can't wait to get mine and drive it!

Someday I'll by a sensible car...

Sponsored

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
I had an 18 JLUR 2.0 on 37’s, mopar lift , mopar beadlocks, full steer smarts …and a bunch more.

The 392 is crazy good. It is an Incredible Jeep. It drives amazing. Steering is solid, rides fantastic. Fast as hell. Lifelong Jeeper here and this one is by far my favorite.

handling is better than my 18 was stock. 392 is every bit as good as the 18 was after steering box update, and full steer smarts. Fox stabilizer on the 18 I believe made it feel stiffer.

BeechAV8R

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 392, CJ7 6.6L, Fusion Trophy Truck
I just picked up my 392 Rubicon today from Tuttle-Click in Irvine, CA (excellent buying experience with Rob, their fleet manger). It was ordered on March 5th. Traded a 2015 JKU Sahara that was bone stock. The second I sat in it and started the 392 V8, I knew I had made the right decision.

I know its not a fair comparison between a 2015 JKU Sahara and a 392 Rubicon, but one thing is for certain. With the Sahara, I always drove it with the gas pedal matted as it had no power. With the 392 Rubicon, its just the opposite. It practically idles at 70 mph on the freeway and while cruising around town. And the 392 Rubicon ride quality is better by leaps and bounds over the Sahara.

I would say don't hesitate... buy it now while you still have the opportunity.

I have some other comparisons and will post later if time permits.

392Stinger

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 392, 2021 Tahoe
I just picked up my 392 Rubicon today from Tuttle-Click in Irvine, CA (excellent buying experience with Rob, their fleet manger). It was ordered on March 5th. Traded a 2015 JKU Sahara that was bone stock. The second I sat in it and started the 392 V8, I knew I had made the right decision.

I know its not a fair comparison between a 2015 JKU Sahara and a 392 Rubicon, but one thing is for certain. With the Sahara, I always drove it with the gas pedal matted as it had no power. With the 392 Rubicon, its just the opposite. It practically idles at 70 mph on the freeway and while cruising around town. And the 392 Rubicon ride quality is better by leaps and bounds over the Sahara.

I would say don't hesitate... buy it now while you still have the opportunity.

I have some other comparisons and will post later if time permits.
I picked mine up this week also and totally agree with your overall assessment. Granted my previous experience with in JK’s the ride quality difference is night and day as is the gas petal difference. It is truly a pleasure to drive this 392 and puts smiles on faces with sound once gas petal is pushed!
Sponsored